Dating: Matchmakers, dealbreakers and affairs, oh my!

MinDonner

We get so few back here with their success stories.  :(   I'm here because I'm still looking.

I met the last LTR at my neighborhood pub.He was staying at an airbnb around the corner.  I met the last short term on OKCupid.   She turned out to be a little nuts.

Currently anticipating a dinner date with some baked chicken.  

Meeting Chemist Guy ended up being nothing more than stopping by for five minutes for a quick goodbye and 'tell me when you're back in town.' I was swamped yesterday, he was sick today, so it was a lot of stressing out and double guessing myself over nothing, in the end. Kind of perfect. I now feel like I can approach further awkward flirting with a degree of assurance. And, what are the odds of finding Indian phd students in Lubumbashi, right?

How did all of  you,  my fellow daters meet the special person or people in your life? Why are they so special to you? I would love to hear your story.  

My boyfriend and I met during a trivia night at a burger place that I used to go to in Charleston. We were both stationed there for Navy training. He was temporarily living with one of the guys in my trivia group. Somehow after a week or two we ended up sitting next to each other and arguing/flirting. And one night we stayed after everyone else left and talked for a long time (mostly me talking about a very recent breakup I had gone through, actually...). And he challenged me to a tennis match, which I lost (badly, to the point that he will never play tennis with me again because it's not fun), so I told him I owed him drinks and he asked me on a proper date, and then one thing led to another and now it is our fourth anniversary on Thursday. :)

(Okay, this is *my* version of the story. My boyfriend swears up and down that we actually met prior to this, and that I just don't remember. Which I suppose is possible, but I cannot for the life of me remember. I definitely asked who he was the first time he came to trivia, so I clearly forgot a long time ago!)

I find it fascinating, the way that some random person out of all the hundreds of people you meet and interact with ends up getting inside your life in such a profound way. I would have never predicted it for either of my two long-term relationships in my life!

The woman  I speak of here frequently is one of those kinds of people. I remember the first time I spoke to her like it was yesterday. I've never met someone in my entire life who makes me feel so comfortable in my own skin. I get a peaceful easy feeling.  I don't know if it will turn out to be a romantic relationship but anybody who makes me feel that way about myself is someone I want in my life. 

The woman  I speak of here frequently is one of those kinds of people. I remember the first time I spoke to her like it was yesterday. I've never met someone in my entire life who makes me feel so comfortable in my own skin. I get a peaceful easy feeling.  I don't know if it will turn out to be a romantic relationship but anybody who makes me feel that way about myself is someone I want in my life. 

I have no idea where this relationship is going that I'm in currently, but the guy says I make him feel this way.  And he does the same for me.  I feel like a million bucks around him (I always think about the Looney Tunes cartoon - A MILLION BOX! - most of you are too young to remember that.) and just have a blast with him. And he is a lovely, kind, nice person whom I've known for 13 years, so who knows?  I'm just having a lot of fun with him.

I have no idea where this relationship is going that I'm in currently, but the guy says I make him feel this way.  And he does the same for me.  I feel like a million bucks around him (I always think about the Looney Tunes cartoon - A MILLION BOX! - most of you are too young to remember that.) and just have a blast with him. And he is a lovely, kind, nice person who I've known for 13 years, so who knows?  I'm just having a lot of fun with him.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels like that. I've never been comfortable with myself and having someone, even a friend who makes me feel like that is an amazing thing. I'm glad yout have found it with someone and are enjoying your time with him. 

Ooh, so you want success stories? I've been lurking here all like "but I'm engaged, do I even get to complain in this thread?". Kind of.

So. Our story starts March 31st, 2012. I was depressed during that time and spent my days skipping school and watching let's plays (gameplay videos with commentary). One of the people posting those videos had a forum which I decided to join. There was a chat which was fairly active, so I started talking in it. 2 days later, the guy who would become my fiancé logged in during a discussion about our political leanings. I had just said that I was a feminist, though rather laid back about it, and he decided to make a joke (he's a bit of a troll), to which I responded with another joke (I had said that I was laid back...). And thus, a romance was born.

We talked so much in the chat, mostly flirting, that someone actually said "If this was an anime, I would ship you guys". Maybe a week after we had started talking I went "fuck, I'm falling for this guy. I don't even know what he looks like!" although I accepted it despite being a wee bit apprehensive after having had similar-ish relationships with two douchebags. Lucky for me, he wasn't a douchebag. Yay! And also lucky for me, he ended up having just the type of face I like. My jaw literally dropped the first time I saw him.

Anyway, eventually we moved on to Skype because privacy and we were annoying people, and on around April 25th his mom asked if I was his girlfriend and he said yes, so we just kind of decided that we were a couple from that point on. The only bad part is that we live on different continents. He's in the US, I'm in Sweden. Conveniently close to the airport though, so we've got that going for us. Miraculously enough we've managed to see each other IRL every year so far, besides 2012. And it just feels like the most natural thing ever. To me, whenever he visits, it's like he's always been there, and when I visit him, it's like I never left. During the 3 years and 7 months we've been together, we've been in the same country for a total of 14 weeks. I mean the first day the first time we met face to face was super nervous, but then it's just business as usual. Except you get to touch each other ;)

People might think we're a bit crazy but we got engaged before the first visit... I told my sister a couple of months later, and then she told my parents, so my family has known for quite a while, but we didn't make it official until January last year. And by official I mean put it on facebook. I was just snuggling up to him when he got a call from his mom... If anyone's wondering, we both live at home with our parents (boo), since he's in college and I'm a drop-out due to previously mentioned depression. Which is why its so miraculous that we've been able to spend so much time together, since neither one of us has had a lasting job up until August, when I got my first job. I spent almost my entire first salary on tickets to visit him for Christmas this year. Speaking of which, does anyone know of any good, preferably cheap, activities to do in Chicago? :D I'm only 20, so I can't legally drink in the states, even if I wanted to. I wanted to go to a japanese style karaoke, but they all require you to be 21 or over to even enter... and we're both allergic to gluten, so food is also kind of problematic ._. Though from what I've seen the US has way more places with gluten-free alternatives than Sweden.

We also started the application process for him to get a residence permit in Sweden back in July, but last time I checked we hadn't gotten a case manager yet. So he's worrying about that and is all negative about it (it's his worst side, he never thinks anything good will happen to him, even though plenty of good stuff has happened, because he's been fucked over in the past) and thinks he's never going to get to move here. He's also a hypochondriac, which he developed after a slew of ear infections last year, and thinks he's going to be diagnosed with cancer and die, due to an enlarged lymph node. He's checked it out and the doctor found no issue with it, but he doesn't believe them. I'm not that worried myself, but that and money and his parents is probably going to be what I'll complain about in the future, just a heads up...

Wah, I just checked the Swedish migration board's website and it says handling times are twice the time they were when we applied... It used to be 4 months, now it's at least 8 :( Although when I checked the status of our application it says "Waiting for decision" and I think when I've checked before it's just said "Application received"... So... do we have a case manager? Do I dare hope we do? How can I not remember? I should probably call and ask but their phone hours are stupid >.< They end when I get off from work.

I know this ends on a bit of a downer, but here's a fun fact for you: this is my first relationship since I've been old enough to have an actual physical relationship. And I'm marrying the guy. I've never even dated. We've never even been on a datey date (dining that is). My SO isn't a particularly romantic person, but he gets a pass because he told me he'd rather grow a rose himself and give it to me than just buy one. So yeah... This was a long post :)

Ooh, so you want success stories? I've been lurking here all like "but I'm engaged, do I even get to complain in this thread?". Kind of.

So. Our story starts March 31st, 2012. I was depressed during that time and spent my days skipping school and watching let's plays (gameplay videos with commentary). One of the people posting those videos had a forum which I decided to join. There was a chat which was fairly active, so I started talking in it. 2 days later, the guy who would become my fiancé logged in during a discussion about our political leanings. I had just said that I was a feminist, though rather laid back about it, and he decided to make a joke (he's a bit of a troll), to which I responded with another joke (I had said that I was laid back...). And thus, a romance was born.

We talked so much in the chat, mostly flirting, that someone actually said "If this was an anime, I would ship you guys".

You're in the right place with such a wild start to your relationship.  Also because you love karaoke.  I think there's only one boarder on this site who hates karaoke.  She's still a really good sport when we go and butcher some decent music.

The being engaged after a short amount of time in person doesn't seem weird to me, I married someone (coincidentally an American) that I met through WoW and we were engaged after only 4 weeks in person together.  I was a fair bit older than you though so we rushed things along a lot more and engagement/marriage was the only way for me to move there.

The being engaged after a short amount of time in person doesn't seem weird to me, I married someone (coincidentally an American) that I met through WoW and we were engaged after only 4 weeks in person together.  I was a fair bit older than you though so we rushed things along a lot more and engagement/marriage was the only way for me to move there.

Heh, we hadn't even met in person when he proposed :P It was 6 months before we met. Although apparently my parents (with an age difference of 13 years I might add) got engaged after dating for only 3 months. Took them 28 years to get married though :P

I checked with the migration office just now and we still don't have a case manager. The last person I spoke to didn't say much, but this one said that we'll get one after my SO has been interviewed at an embassy and it usually takes 5-6 months before you're called for one. So maybe he'll get the e-mail while I'm visiting. Yay!

I've never actually done much karaoke though, I just like singing :)  And he's badgering me for activities to do, so I figured that might be a good one XD

You all know my success story, plus the bumps along the way. After deciding to give things another go after the money fandango, we're back on track, and we're finally getting our own place next month. Which I am, of course, so fucking happy about. 

I did take my engagement ring off when it all happened, and haven't put it back on since. I know moving in together is a big enough step, but it just doesn't feel right to commit to getting married at the moment. Maybe it will again someday. Right now, I'm happy to move forward as we are. 

Archived