Dating: Matchmakers, dealbreakers and affairs, oh my!

MinDonner

You all know my success story, plus the bumps along the way. After deciding to give things another go after the money fandango, we're back on track, and we're finally getting our own place next month. Which I am, of course, so fucking happy about. 

I did take my engagement ring off when it all happened, and haven't put it back on since. I know moving in together is a big enough step, but it just doesn't feel right to commit to getting married at the moment. Maybe it will again someday. Right now, I'm happy to move forward as we are. 

Great news about getting your own place! :) And I am glad you are giving it another go. Best of luck to you both, and hope you like the new place!

You guys I don't remember how flirting works.

I am a pro at flirting.  I get a gold star as long as I don't actually like the person I'm flirting with.  If I like them, I turn into a creepy cross between Mrs. Robinson and Miss Havisham.  I can't explain it except that it's horrifying and hysterically funny, all at the same time.  So with men I really like, I pretend like I don't like them at all and can just talk to them semi-normally.  But flirting is out - I will scare them into next month, seriously.

I am a pro at flirting.  I get a gold star as long as I don't actually like the person I'm flirting with.  If I like them, I turn into a creepy cross between Mrs. Robinson and Miss Havisham.  I can't explain it except that it's horrifying and hysterically funny, all at the same time.  So with men I really like, I pretend like I don't like them at all and can just talk to them semi-normally.  But flirting is out - I will scare them into next month, seriously.

I'm listening to Mrs. Robinson right now . 

In other news, things are going really well with National Trust girl. We went to a presentation at the local observatory/planetarium last night that was pretty cool. Today we wandered through the christmas market outside the cathedral drinking mead and mulled wine. Sucks that I'm away for two weeks tomorrow but we'll stay in touch and see how things go when I get back.

I assumed your style was similar to mine.  Take a hard, no-nonsense approach to young men.  If they respond to that by trying to become your footstool then we're in.

It is, and it appears to be frightening the townsfolk. I don't know how to treat someone like I like them, because I'm present or talking to them and not doing the thousand better things I have to do they should know. I have no in between you are allowed to talk to me and frankly telling them I intend to make sexual advances. I know it's terrifying but I have no idea how guile works

Flirting is one of those things where I think I'm either way too eager or not nearly eager enough. I need Terra whispering cues into a secret earpiece when I go out.

I am in a weird space right now, where the guys I get along well with are borderline closer to the Things' age than to mine. Any guy near my own age is either married or off-limits for academic reasons (ie, he might end up marking my papers). Fuck. At least they're not boring, though.

I think I'm just gonna get drunk at the staff party and have a cheeky flirt with everyone lmao and blame it on the booze. I have an excellent Mia Wallace look going on for the party (minus the OD) :P the problem is I think my flirting is too close to my normal animated self except I fancy the person...but they never know that...probably...

I think I'm just gonna get drunk at the staff party and have a cheeky flirt with everyone lmao and blame it on the booze. I have an excellent Mia Wallace look going on for the party (minus the OD) :P the problem is I think my flirting is too close to my normal animated self except I fancy the person...but they never know that...probably...

Just walk around a say "mmm, that's one tasty burger!"  I don't know if it'll accomplish anything, but the reactions might be priceless.

Or tell someone you want to win the trophy "so dance good."

I had the same problem.  If I had been aware that my wife was interested in me when she started flirting I'd have gone to peices.  My lack of awareness of her interest saved me from myself.

A couple people are sorting out the playlist and I'm putting forward the song in the dance scene in Pulp Fiction ans that is how I plan on seducing everyone i mean people like uma thurman in that movie dont they? Its not just me LMAO 

If that doesn't get them, I don't know what will.

I'm a longtime lurker with a rather silly-sounding problem: I went out with someone for the first time recently, and, in contrast to the few other dates I've been on lately, we actually talked easily and ended up sitting and chatting outside her building for hours. Great! Only, I can't entirely tell if I'm attracted to her. She is certainly fine looking, but it wasn’t like “wow,” you know? 

Before this, my romantic experience consisted of two moderately longterm relationships, both of which were with people I had previously been close friends with, and which followed right after one another. The second of those ended very poorly, and I didn't date or anything after that until very recently. It's probably silly to think I'd feel the same way now as I did then: I haven't known (let alone dated!) this person at length, actually remember only very gradually growing attracted to those two long after we clicked intellectually, and, perhaps more importantly, here lack two years of post-facto idealization. So perhaps this is just what first dates feel like when they go well—or maybe we just won't work romantically. As is probably obvious after all this rambling, I am unsure if I've got a problem or if I just think I do because I'm so used to things going poorly, romantically-speaking. 

I had the same problem.  If I had been aware that my wife was interested in me when she started flirting I'd have gone to peices.  My lack of awareness of her interest saved me from myself.

You are making me very, very sad.  We make the first move and you pick up your toys and go home.  

NO SOUP FOR YOU!

It is, and it appears to be frightening the townsfolk. I don't know how to treat someone like I like them, because I'm present or talking to them and not doing the thousand better things I have to do they should know. I have no in between you are allowed to talk to me and frankly telling them I intend to make sexual advances. I know it's terrifying but I have no idea how guile works

Kay, if they get put off by the latter, they're the wrong man anyway.  The only fellas I've been able to have a relationship with at all can handle my lewd mouth.  Best to get that litmus test out of the way anyway.  Also you ARE busy.  Your presence and permission to speak are two gifts, what else do they want?  A whole fucking Christmas?  

You are making me very, very sad.  We make the first move and you pick up your toys and go home.  

I'm guilty of the same thing. If I figure it out I get scared or I convince myself that it isn't happening. I can't even open myself up to the possibility she may be flirting. And that includes Josie. But that is a much sadder story.

Archived