Is Westeros headed for the Ragnarok?

thehandwipes

Now most Ragnarok threads are located in the book forum, but the following article specifically brings the show into the Ragnarok debate.

http://www.outcryer.com/daily/game-of-thrones-ragnarok-theory-season-5/

So seeing as the show is more or less caught up to the books and both D&D and GRRM have said that the ending to the story will bw the same even if the two stories diverge in the middle, it seems as good a time as any to bring the Ragnarok debate to the show forum.

But he is visiting world con and just got back from various other trips. He also said he recently came to peace with the fact that the books won't be out until long after the show is complete. Considering he has about 4 months left and hasn't states anything approaching confidence it will be out on time, I would not get your hopes up. We old timers recognize the signs. This close to season 6 and there's been very little info about publishing...bad sign.

Damn, I was really hoping book 6 would be out before the Spring.

As for Ragnarok, I think the shows all thru the seasons and esp after Hardhome and the magnificent face off between Jon and the Night's King, who better not be his father,  are foreshadowing this mighty final battle for the soul of Westeros and of mankind. Any other final battle would be comparably anti-climactic and the players now too late introduced.

Now most Ragnarok threads are located in the book forum, but the following article specifically brings the show into the Ragnarok debate.

http://www.outcryer.com/daily/game-of-thrones-ragnarok-theory-season-5/

So seeing as the show is more or less caught up to the books and both D&D and GRRM have said that the ending to the story will bw the same even if the two stories diverge in the middle, it seems as good a time as any to bring the Ragnarok debate to the show forum.

That's a pretty good summary.
Well, the Ragnarok discussion has appeared , even here, on both the book and show forum spools, but they just fade pretty fast.
One thing , book wise, as it influences the show , is GRRM's setting up The Others yet he has not said that much, and now show gives up a teaser that something big is afoot.

Yeah, the Night's King confuses the hell out of me because he steals the role I imagine Jon fulfilling after his resurrection and its very hard for me to believe that there is some Big Bad out there that we have not yet been introduced to.  However, the 13 Others seen in season 4 dressed all in black does fit in with what I imagine the Night's Watch backstory to be.  So, that confuses me and I don't really know what "ends in the same place" means to D&D.  Not much, from what I've seen, but I don't mean for this to be an argument thread.

As for the Ragnarok discussion in general, its a minority viewpoint, but so is The Meerenese Blot.  Sweetsunray has a number of the best threads on this forum, though I disagree with a number of her conclusions, she is as well versed in Norse mythology as anyone could be and every post is a brilliantly thought out essay.  I often go to her threads not to post anything just to learn.  I'd recommend them to anyone, but she generally doesn't get a lot of responses. 

Her threads are more like a classroom than a fun discussion (argument) thread.

Archived