2016 KC WorldCon: MidAmeriCon II Aug 17-21

• 1 month later...

I'm still on the fence about attending KC. It's the week after my convention and the 1-2 punch this year was a bit brutal. It's November and I feel like I'm still recovering! (We also bought a house and moved in August, so it wasn't just the 2 conventions.)

I'm hoping to make it to Helsinki though. :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The website says "around" January 25th. Must be on many minds today as I had checked earlier tonight and then they tweeted about it.

Thanks!  For the first time ever, I made Marriott platinum level guest status for this year, so want to ensure I book that property.   I've been checking the web mornings for the last few days, and did not see the 25th date.  I think I'll check every day, given the "around". 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2016 at 6:59 PM, lady narcissa said:

There is no party hotel.  Parties are in the convention center.

http://midamericon2.org/partypacket/party-info/

So only convention center purchased booze is allowed...does this mean they will continue to sell it after the convention ends for the day?  Or does everyone just get to hang out and party like it's Romper Room?  

11 hours ago, WillWork4NinjaPowers said:

So only convention center purchased booze is allowed...does this mean they will continue to sell it after the convention ends for the day?  Or does everyone just get to hang out and party like it's Romper Room?  

My guess is that it booze will be sold until the hall closes (or shortly before) at midnight or 2am. While panels may end earlier in the day, the convention itself usually includes the events in the main hall. That's how it worked in London, which used a similar setup for parties.

I booked the Marriott since that is the only hotel that has the con discount rate for a couple days before and after the con.  I plan to arrive a couple days early and leave a day or two after.  Plus for the first time ever, this year I reached Marriott guest Platinum Level so will likely get an upgraded room, free breakfast, etc.  :-)

Archived