2016 KC WorldCon: MidAmeriCon II Aug 17-21

So... does anyone know whether the rooms at the con rate are likely to sell out? How quickly do I need to book?

My job situation for then is looking increasingly unstable, and I'm not sure what I should be doing about it. My original plan was to get a triple room and assume that I'd be able to find another two people to take the other rooms. But then, if I end up getting a new job between now and then, I'm not sure how much holiday time I'll have to take off. Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, TitanCat said:

So... does anyone know whether the rooms at the con rate are likely to sell out? How quickly do I need to book?

My job situation for then is looking increasingly unstable, and I'm not sure what I should be doing about it. My original plan was to get a triple room and assume that I'd be able to find another two people to take the other rooms. But then, if I end up getting a new job between now and then, I'm not sure how much holiday time I'll have to take off. Any thoughts?

They will probably eventually sell out, but I don't think that will happen for a few weeks.

Anyone on the con-com know more?

8 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

They will probably eventually sell out, but I don't think that will happen for a few weeks.

Anyone on the con-com know more?

Thanks for this! I'll try and make my mind up sooner rather than later then...

Is anyone looking for room shares?

4 minutes ago, Rcollins said:

I booked the Aladdin and they let you cancel reservations up to 72 hours ahead of check-in without a penalty. You could always book a room now, and then cancel the reservation if work gives you trouble.

Marriot is day before cancellation if I recall correctly.   

22 minutes ago, Rcollins said:

I booked the Aladdin and they let you cancel reservations up to 72 hours ahead of check-in without a penalty. You could always book a room now, and then cancel the reservation if work gives you trouble.

17 minutes ago, Sir Knight Somerville said:

Marriot is day before cancellation if I recall correctly.   

Thanks for this! I didn't even slightly think of that option, so you've saved me a bunch of stress :)

10 hours ago, TitanCat said:

Thanks for this! I'll try and make my mind up sooner rather than later then...

Is anyone looking for room shares?

Based on convos in the FB group, you might want to book a room now and then cancel it if you decide you can't swing the trip. :) As others have noted, you will not be penalized if you do that before the penalty date, and as Cuellar notes, they usually don't bill your credit card in advance.

You can add me as a "definitely probably".  Finally figured out where we're moving for school (Seattle, here we come!) and classes start the day after WC.  So logistically I should be able to make it.  Now I just need marital permission. ;)

Archived