2016 KC WorldCon: MidAmeriCon II Aug 17-21

Oh my gosh, I forgot to check in here! I will be there. I have rooms booked (Marriott) 16 - 22 (Tuesday to Monday). I will book flights when it is a little closer to time since I can't get my miles back if (heaven forbid) something happens and I have to cancel (like last time). That BETTER NOT happen this year dadgummitt!

So excited to see everyone. Hugs, kisses, and hearts all around.

On May 24, 2016 at 2:20 AM, Frisco said:

Hmm, haven't bought my plane ticket yet, so I guess it's not too late to change plans and drive to KC and kidnap Lodey along the way.

DO IT! You're an excellent driver. Hell, we dodged rockslides and the Doom of Valyria between Seattle and Spokane. Lodey will be safe as a kitten.

Bummed you can't make it, Lodey. That just means we'll have to double down for the next one. 

The geekling and I will be in attendance. The Marriott was sold out, so we booked the Crowne Plaza. The room blocks were booked up everywhere except the Westin (where the what is that??), so we pounced on it. I'll be calling this week and begging them to change the rate for us. It can't hurt to ask.

Flights have a nice rate, so I'll buy them tomorrow or Wednesday. Can't wait! :) 

i am sure i missed it but what night is the bwb party X-ray or mr. x...i am going on a fishing trip about 200 miles away but will reel in to pop over for the gathering...it is time i bought the group a round or two for putting up with my bullshit so long... ;)

can't wait to see y'all in person

:smoking:

Caryn -- you might be able to swing a con room closer to the event (as people will unexpectedly cancel).

Rocksniffer -- I do not know what day we will have the party, as I have not heard from that portion of the con com (except to confirm that we have a space). I have requested our standard meet-and-greet for Thursday afternoon/early evening, and while I got confirmation from the programming team that they received my request, they have not yet released the programming schedule.

On 5/30/2016 at 2:34 PM, Caryn Stark said:

The geekling and I will be in attendance. The Marriott was sold out, so we booked the Crowne Plaza. The room blocks were booked up everywhere except the Westin (where the what is that??), so we pounced on it. I'll be calling this week and begging them to change the rate for us. It can't hurt to ask.

Flights have a nice rate, so I'll buy them tomorrow or Wednesday. Can't wait! :) 

The rail will take you from the West in to the con, I'm pretty sure.

20 hours ago, Arlingzen Bill said:

Makotohanabi and I are getting in Sunday or Monday. Looking more like Sunday because of Move In for the Exhibit Hall starts Monday. I should have some time Wednesday does anyone want to go to the Negro League Baseball Museum? Connie Willis recommended a Arthur Bryuant near there for BBQ.

Not Arthur Bryants.  Joe's KC, Q39, or Jack Stack.  If you want a KC experience, try Gates.  

Anyone want to do a Boulevard Brewery tour?  

Anyone want to do karaoke?

If anyone has any questions or needs help, I also live here.

Oh, and if it hasn't been made clear, BRGR for burgers at least once, but there's a new shmancy place, Cleaver & Cork, a locally owned place, if anyone wants to do that.  Check the place out and let me know.  I love it there.

2 hours ago, WillWork4NinjaPowers said:

Not Arthur Bryants.  Joe's KC, Q39, or Jack Stack.  If you want a KC experience, try Gates.  

Anyone want to do a Boulevard Brewery tour?  

Anyone want to do karaoke?

If anyone has any questions or needs help, I also live here.

Oh, and if it hasn't been made clear, BRGR for burgers at least once, but there's a new shmancy place, Cleaver & Cork, a locally owned place, if anyone wants to do that.  Check the place out and let me know.  I love it there.

The nice thing about getting in early, you can try multiple places.

3 hours ago, Arlingzen Bill said:

The nice thing about getting in early, you can try multiple places.

Yeah, and people are hardcore about their BBQ out here.  Get ready for a meat coma, because everyone is going to have a different place you "need to try."  Joe's KC (formerly Oklahoma Joe's), is a place Anthony Bourdain put on his list of however many places you need to eat in the world before you die.  The original location is in a truck stop.  I'm not originally from here, so when out of town friends visit we go to the top 5 and do Boulevard.  They are sufficiently meat and beer coma'd when they leave.  

Oh, and I think there's a combo Negro League and College Basketball Experience pass.  I've only done the NLM, it's nice.  

Lots of people show up to group things. I went to meet ups before joining the board, and met lots of friendly people there.  There's usually a BwB meet up at worldcon, keep an eye on the schedule or someone will post it here.

Sometimes the best part of the con is the pre or post con dinners/drinks/adventures.

7 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Do you guys get a lot of new people showing up at the parties and meetups and such for these things?

It varies year to year, from "a fair few" to "many." The most reliable way to find us is at the Meet and Greet. But you will likely find us hanging out in the hotel bar at some point during each day, and at least a few people will go to any readings that GRRM might do.

Archived