2016 KC WorldCon: MidAmeriCon II Aug 17-21

A bear there was, a bear, a bear!
all black and brown, and covered with hair.
The bear! The bear!

Took my coonhound out to pee a few minutes ago and he went wild with baying and tugging at the leash.  We walked around the corner of my house, and there was . . .  a bear.   I'm now on the lookout for the maiden.  Must be an omen to perform the song at a MidAmeriCon filk.  :-)

On June 22, 2016 at 4:55 PM, Elder Sister said:

That is really sweet, Scot - thank you.  It won't bring it within reach, but I appreciate the offer!

You will be having so much fun you won't even notice I'm not there.  Meanwhile, I will be crying in my cheerios while I look at photos of tiara-wearing BwBrs and all the related hi-jinks.

I'll have to FaceTime you in throughout the weekend because we will certainly feel your absence. :grouphug: :crying:

On 12/16/2015 at 4:56 PM, Missy Mayhem said:

Just got my membership!  I will for sure be there.  It has been entirely too long since LoneStarCon, & I am so looking forward to experiencing another Worldcon.  

Got our memberships fully paid off for both myself & my husband!  We'll be joining Amber, Marcus, & Jay this year.  So looking forward to this.  Going to home brew some beer to share for the occasion.  :cheers:

On 6/8/2016 at 9:31 PM, Let's Get Kraken said:

So I've been posting on these boards for a while and lurking for a few years now, but I've never been to a BwB meetup. I'm really looking forward to MACII though. It seems a lot of you folks know each other already, and I'm always a bit apprehensive approaching a close knit group as an outsider. Do you guys get a lot of new people showing up at the parties and meetups and such for these things?

Last year I went to my first thingamuhjig that people from the board were at, and they were so nice!  I'm a weird person, and everyone was great.  I even hung out with Lily in NOLA with my family (because she's awesome).

At this point, I'd say it's more likely than not that I'll be attending.  Rooms are probably the stickiest wicket, so if anyone wants to share, PM me.  I'm too large to share a bed, and am apparently a light not that occasional snorer (though more so when I've been drinking I've heard...).  Otherwise, my hygiene is generally acceptable and am a tolerable room mate.

As far as outside activities, I'd like to hit Kaufman Stadium, the Negro Baseball HoF, and BBQ.  And maybe check out one of the local poker rooms one night... 

Zabzie, it's pretty simple:

Go to a discussion panel or reading or signing or two (a lot of us will be at George's events).  Hang out and get drunk.  Browse the dealer room.  Eat fantastic food at whatever restaurant Boiled Leather finds.  Get drunk.  Hang out some more. Get totally shit-faced from an outlandish cocktail creation at the BwB-party and stay up until 5am.  Maybe go to the Hugo ceremony.  Get drunk. 

I don't do the drunk stuff so much, but you get the gist.  :P

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 6:48 PM, Arlingzen Bill said:

Makotohanabi and I are getting in Sunday or Monday. Looking more like Sunday because of Move In for the Exhibit Hall starts Monday. I should have some time Wednesday does anyone want to go to the Negro League Baseball Museum? Connie Willis recommended a Arthur Bryuant near there for BBQ.

I'll be arriving at MCI at about noon on Wednesday, and the Negro League Museum in on my KC wish list.  So let me know if your schedule is such that I'll be able to tag along.  Plus for the BBQ!

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 4:09 PM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

:(

That stinks.  We have one more slot in our room if splitting a room at the Marriot 4 ways brings this within your reach.

Scott, I just booked my flight, so count me in as discussed for the room split.

Looking forward to it!

13 hours ago, the maid of woodlynne said:

I cannot wait to see you guys!

And I'm happy to report that my pepper guy has something new for us this year that will be ripe and ready to go by August. :devil:

it is all kinds of awesome that you have a pepper guy

10 hours ago, beniowa said:

Zabzie, it's pretty simple:

Go to a discussion panel or reading or signing or two (a lot of us will be at George's events).  Hang out and get drunk.  Browse the dealer room.  Eat fantastic food at whatever restaurant Boiled Leather finds.  Get drunk.  Hang out some more. Get totally shit-faced from an outlandish cocktail creation at the BwB-party and stay up until 5am.  Maybe go to the Hugo ceremony.  Get drunk. 

I don't do the drunk stuff so much, but you get the gist.  :P

Also, there is usually a BWB Meet'n'Greet early in the convention, where our Overlords and Overladies collect party funding and encourage being a convention volunteer. Be there if you can -- it's the best place to see who's around, make dining plans, &c.

7 hours ago, DaveAx said:

Also, there is usually a BWB Meet'n'Greet early in the convention, where our Overlords and Overladies collect party funding and encourage being a convention volunteer. Be there if you can -- it's the best place to see who's around, make dining plans, &c.

Awesome.  Will definitely check in to find that.  Arriving Thursday.  Happy to contribute funding :):):) 

On Tuesday, July 05, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Ok, except for the fact that there is no Elder Sis, I'm officially totally pumped.  I will need all y'all experienced folks to help me out, bc I will clearly have no idea what I'm doing :)  Yay yay yay!!!!

Your coming???? Awesome!!!  I look forward to meeting you in person.

MOW,

Have you gotten your hands on a Carolina Reaper?

13 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Your coming???? Awesome!!!  I look forward to meeting you in person.

MOW,

Have you gotten your hands on a Carolina Reaper?

I am supposed to come, but literally just found out that I may need to be in court the 16th-18th.  Hoping to change flight.

Archived