2016 KC WorldCon: MidAmeriCon II Aug 17-21

53 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Okay, I just confirmed that there is no free shuttle to the Marriott.  There is a hotel shuttle that is $18.00 one way and $31.00 for a round trip.  

Does this shuttle require reservations, or do you just grab one when you get there? Also... anyone coming in on Tuesday? Oh my gosh I can't wait.

5 minutes ago, LacyinTX said:

Does this shuttle require reservations, or do you just grab one when you get there? Also... anyone coming in on Tuesday? Oh my gosh I can't wait.

I don't know.  I called the KC Marriott downtown to ask about the shuttle.  Their number is (816) 421-6800

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Okay, I just confirmed that there is no free shuttle to the Marriott.  There is a hotel shuttle that is $18.00 one way and $31.00 for a round trip.  Anyone coming in about 9:00 AM on 8/17/2016 want to split a cab to the Marriott?

I'll also be in about 8:30ish, so if there is room for 3 of us. I'll be happy to join you too

1 hour ago, Cuellar said:

UberX should be about $25 (+/- 5).   

Lacy - I get in Tuesday @ 1:45 PM, probably not checking luggage.  Happy to have anyone around jump in my cab.

I don't get in until 3:18. I'm not checking a bag either if I can help it. Can't wait to see everyone.

Omigoodness - I didn't think it was going to happen this year, but I just bought memberships, and booked flights! (Lany, Baita, Zabs, Xray, etc. - am I actually going to be able to meet you in person?!  So exciting. (Mr. Sand Witch will be joining me for the fun & games even.)

One thing - all the con hotels are completely booked up.  To be safe, I made reservations at a hotel outside of the area, and am checking the site daily in case there are changes - but if anyone hears of any cancellations or room availability at the con rates, please keep me in mind. 

7 hours ago, Salome Sand Witch said:

Omigoodness - I didn't think it was going to happen this year, but I just bought memberships, and booked flights! (Lany, Baita, Zabs, Xray, etc. - am I actually going to be able to meet you in person?!  So exciting. (Mr. Sand Witch will be joining me for the fun & games even.)

One thing - all the con hotels are completely booked up.  To be safe, I made reservations at a hotel outside of the area, and am checking the site daily in case there are changes - but if anyone hears of any cancellations or room availability at the con rates, please keep me in mind. 

OMG!   I have something in my eye

:love:  I am so incredibly happy. :love: 

If you are flying into Kansas City, take note that the convention has arranged a discount on round-trip SuperShuttle transit between the airport and downtown. You must purchase in advance.
Full details here: http://groups.supershuttle.com/midamericonii.html

UPDATE: The discounted r/t fare in their regular 10-passenger van is $30. However, if you are travelling with one or two friends, there's an even better deal. SuperShuttle also has an "Exclusive Van" option, for 1-3 passengers who are traveling together. This gives you a private van -- no extra stops to pick up or discharge other riders, either at other airport terminals or other hotels. Round-trip, with the MidAmericon discount, is $73, regardless of the number of passengers. It's a little more expensive for two people, but saves time on the trip in both directions. For groups of three, it's a definite bargain.

On July 22, 2016 at 1:31 AM, Salome Sand Witch said:

Wow!!!!! That's excellent!!!! I get to hug you in person, and not virtually!!!

Also, I need to get a Geocache so I can bag the state plus there might be some incidental PokemonGoing too.

On Saturday, July 23, 2016 at 2:23 AM, DaveAx said:

If you are flying into Kansas City, take note that the convention has arranged a discount on round-trip SuperShuttle transit between the airport and downtown. You must purchase in advance.
Full details here: http://groups.supershuttle.com/midamericonii.html

UPDATE: The discounted r/t fare in their regular 10-passenger van is $30. However, if you are travelling with one or two friends, there's an even better deal. SuperShuttle also has an "Exclusive Van" option, for 1-3 passengers who are traveling together. This gives you a private van -- no extra stops to pick up or discharge other riders, either at other airport terminals or other hotels. Round-trip, with the MidAmericon discount, is $73, regardless of the number of passengers. It's a little more expensive for two people, but saves time on the trip in both directions. For groups of three, it's a definite bargain.

Stupid question.  is the $30.00 round trip cheaper than a 3 way cab split?

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Stupid question.  is the $30.00 round trip cheaper than a 3 way cab split?

Yes but not by a lot if you are traveling with 3 people. Taxi from the airport to the con hotels will run $50 - $60 dollars each way. So the shuttle would be a bargain for a person traveling alone but if you've got 3 people you might save $3 to $10 total.

for those that haven't seen it.... and there may be no info here too ... maybe

getting a large dinner space in KC is actually much harder than Spokane (I guess we got lucky there).  We've got a large room at what I'm told is the a favorite of many boarders (and I'm spacing on board names).  That's sunday night.  Post here, hit the fb group PM me or Daenerys stormborn.  yeah, she has a better name.

The room holds 50 and I'll need to have some numbers to the restaurant next week (but in my mind all are welcome till we hit 49).  I'm mean if POD can commit, so can you.

and let's be honest, if this place is as good as its rep, i'm going more than once.

We are working on Wednesday night dinner ... not quite nailed down.looking like it might be a pub take over, they are working with us.

if you'll be in town tuesday, i've set up a dinner for 20 -- hopefully it will be as memorable as last years first dinner.  you know, the one that encouraged blackfyre to shave off his beard.

And HUGE ups and much love to Daenerys Stormborn who is doing most of the heavy lifting here. :)

can't wait to see you all in few weeks.  Even POD :)

12 hours ago, boiled leather said:

for those that haven't seen it.... and there may be no info here too ... maybe

getting a large dinner space in KC is actually much harder than Spokane (I guess we got lucky there).  We've got a large room at what I'm told is the a favorite of many boarders (and I'm spacing on board names).  That's sunday night.  Post here, hit the fb group PM me or Daenerys stormborn.  yeah, she has a better name.

The room holds 50 and I'll need to have some numbers to the restaurant next week (but in my mind all are welcome till we hit 49).  I'm mean if POD can commit, so can you.

and let's be honest, if this place is as good as its rep, i'm going more than once.

We are working on Wednesday night dinner ... not quite nailed down.looking like it might be a pub take over, they are working with us.

if you'll be in town tuesday, i've set up a dinner for 20 -- hopefully it will be as memorable as last years first dinner.  you know, the one that encouraged blackfyre to shave off his beard.

And HUGE ups and much love to Daenerys Stormborn who is doing most of the heavy lifting here. :)

can't wait to see you all in few weeks.  Even POD :)

What kind of food do they have? What I really mean in my secret heart is, do you know if they have a vegan option?

Archived