2016 KC WorldCon: MidAmeriCon II Aug 17-21

19 hours ago, boiled leather said:

We are working on Wednesday night dinner ... not quite nailed down.looking like it might be a pub take over, they are working with us.

If this is happening, I'll need text updates - i get in wicked late on Wednesday, but I'm not opposed to a late arrival! 

So this will be my first convention (not just Worldcon, but first convention of any kind). I am both nervous and excited. I have no idea what to expect, hopefully it will be a blast. And I hope I get to meet you guys.

On that note, I will be driving to KC in the morning hours of Wednesday, with the plan to get there around noon. So if anyone is in need of a ride from the airport in that time frame, I will be happy to oblige.

Side note: Also first time in KC, so I am unfamiliar with the city (and the traffic).

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

So this will be my first convention (not just Worldcon, but first convention of any kind). I am both nervous and excited. I have no idea what to expect, hopefully it will be a blast. And I hope I get to meet you guys.

On that note, I will be driving to KC in the morning hours of Wednesday, with the plan to get there around noon. So if anyone is in need of a ride from the airport in that time frame, I will be happy to oblige.

Side note: Also first time in KC, so I am unfamiliar with the city (and the traffic).

We are always happy to meet first timers! If for some reason you can't find anyone before Thursday afternoon make sure to attend the official BwB meet and greet. I believe it is at 4pm, but it will be listed in the program guide.

its definitely a US MEAT place.  that being said, Daeneyrs and I will with them to make sure there are a few vegan meals.  on the standard menu are a few different veggie sides and kabobs.  Besides Peadar, who is now considered officially rsvped -- its been too long friend, who else might have special dietary needs?  Let us know. :)

On 7/25/2016 at 5:01 PM, boiled leather said:

if you'll be in town tuesday, i've set up a dinner for 20 -- hopefully it will be as memorable as last years first dinner.  you know, the one that encouraged blackfyre to shave off his beard.

Count me in on the Tuesday dinner.

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Definitely stop by the Meet and Greet on Thursday at 4pm. You can also swing by the ValleyForge2017 bid table (which will be somewhere in the fan village in the convention center) and say hi, because almost everyone on that bid is also a member of the BWB and can get you situated vis a vis which hotel bar we've decided to adopt. :)

Also be on the lookout for people wearing 1) BWB tshirts or 2) Brotherhood Without Banners ribbons on their convention badge. (the ribbons are black with silver printing)

3 hours ago, boiled leather said:

its definitely a US MEAT place.  that being said, Daeneyrs and I will with them to make sure there are a few vegan meals.  on the standard menu are a few different veggie sides and kabobs.  Besides Peadar, who is now considered officially rsvped -- its been too long friend, who else might have special dietary needs?  Let us know. :)

I have confirmed a hotel room from Thursday to Sunday night, leaving Monday, and have asked for an extension to add Tuesday and Wednesday, as I am flying in on Tuesday!  So add me to your list for dinner!

If they can't add two days, maybe someone will let me bunk in with them for two nights...

ETA:  Staying at the Marriott!

Posting on behalf of a friend of a friend:

Possible Room Share 
Weds (8/17) - Sat (8/20) -- four nights
Sheraton KC at Crown Center (1.5 miles S, 3-4 blocks E of Convention site), rate of $190/night
This is an official con hotel, and there is supposed to be bus/shuttle service to the CC.
One king bed, theoretically convertible to two queens
If interested, please contact Dennis Lynch directly at Lynch DOT dennis AT imonmail DOT com
Mr. Lynch notes that he prefers non-smoking roommates, and will be running a CPAP machine at night.

fuckity fuck fuck, but I had to cancel my planned a attendance at KC, due to various life factors.  I was hoping right up until yesterday that ducks would be in a row, but some of those fuckers waddled out of line and could not be coerced back into place.  So this morning I had to cancel my hotel and flights. 

there is is a room now free at Marriott Downtown for anyone that is quick enough.

Someone else will have to lead the kilt-wearing, barbecue-eating and GRRM reading reporting efforts.

*gloom*

On 7/26/2016 at 8:36 PM, boiled leather said:

It has definitely been too long :D

On 7/26/2016 at 5:44 PM, Daenerys Stormborn said:

For you, I will phone the events manager and see what options we have or what might be possible to arrange :)

Since this is the future, I know you have already done this. I thank you in the most strenuous terms possible :)

A general reminder to all members of Worldcon, attending or otherwise:
Hugo Voting ends this weekend.
Mail-in Voting for Site Selection ends next weekend. (Ballots must be received by next Saturday.)

Greetings! If anyone is interested in volunteering for a couple of hours a day, I hope you will consider Program Operations, which I'm running this year. We are in charge of providing the program participants with their scheduling information and making sure that the program runs smoothly: solving scheduling difficulties, maintaining the program rooms, and tracking program changes. If this sounds like it might be of interest to you, please reply to this message or drop me a line at [email protected].

Also, if you are getting in early and can spare some hours to help on Monday, we will be stuffing program participant packets on Monday afternoon in the Program Ops office in room 2212 in the convention center. (Note that Monday hours count double toward any volunteer goodies.)

Thanks and looking forward to seeing folks at the convention!

I would love to volunteer! I arrive on Tuesday at 3:18, so I might be at the hotel and settled in by 5:00 or so. You can email me at lacy b b at ya hoo dot com. I'll be happy to help out where I can. I also don't leave until Monday morning, so if there is any clean up/wrap up stuff that needs doing on Sunday, I am your gal.

Archived