2016 KC WorldCon: MidAmeriCon II Aug 17-21

Not sure if this will apply to anyone else or not.

The courtyard Marriott and residence inn are currently under construction. They were scheduled to open in time for the con, but have fallen behind schedule.  If you were booked in either hotel your reservation should have been automatically moved, likely to the Westin.  Be sure to verify that this has happened.  I received a confirmation email from the Westin and notification email from the sales manager for the courtyard/residence inn.

Update: MACII programming schedule is now published, and it looks like the BWB Meet and Greet has been moved to 2pm on Thursday.

Again, I will not post the room number until the day of, because chances are high that it could be moved. I will confirm date/time when I arrive on Wednesday and can talk to the program staff face-to-face. I'm not gonna bug them about stuff right now because I know they're crazy busy.

8 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Update: MACII programming schedule is now published

If you have the Grenadine app for phone or tablet, you can load the schedule into it with Event Code MAC2.

If you want to view it online, it's here: https://midamericon2.org/online-program-schedule/

Note that, at the present moment, the Grenadine feature that allows you to log in with your membership number (so you can store your personal schedule) is not working. The convention is aware of this, and is working to fix the problem.

GRRM at MidAmeriCon II, per current schedule...

Thursday 3-4:30 PM: Signing #1
Friday, 12-1 PM: Reading
Saturday, 1-2:30 PM: Signing #2
Saturday, 3-5 PM Wild Cards at 20: Deathmatch
Sunday, 2-3 PM: MidAmeriCon I: A Conversation (with Pat Cadigan and Michael Swanwick)

There will be three charity/benefit auctions at this year's Worldcon (plus the usual Blood Drive).
In some of them, you can contribute and/or bid even if you're not attending.
https://midamericon2.org/home/registration-hotel-member-information/benefit-auctions-and-blood-drives/

14 hours ago, TannerSack said:

Xray, didn't even know about the FB group, sounds next level. If you don't mind posting a link I would appreciate it. Cheers

Done!

We've found that FB, which is optimized for use on mobile devices, is much easier to use for at-con organization of impromptu dinners, meet-ups, etc. If you're on FB, you can ask to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/532631506801816/

When you do, PM me your FB name so I know you're not a spambot trying to get into the group. :)

since not everyone looks at the FB group -- 

i'm closing in on finalizing details on Sunday's (8/21) BBQ Dinner at Jack Stack BBQ.  IF you want to join us or have a food need I should be aware of please let me know.  thank you. Continue on with your day.

A reminder, especially for those who don't attend many conventions....
If your hotel has a "frequent sleeper" program (e.g., Marriott Rewards, HHonors, etc.) and you are not a member, sign up in advance. Not only will you collect points useful for future conventions and other travel, but you may be able to get an at-con room upgrade, check in in advance via the program's smartphone app, and reap other goodies at no cost.

It's also a good idea to see if there are linkages between airline and hotel loyalty programs, leading to extra points for one or both.

Hi guys! I'm from Toronto, Canada and I really wanted to attend WorldCon this year. Thing is I haven't found anybody to go along with. None of my friends are into it and I guess there isn't any organized group or community of ASOIAF book fans over here or at least I haven't found one. Kansas City won't be too much of an issue since I have friends over there to stay with and I can still book a reasonably priced flight but I really don't wanna do this alone. Is there some kind of group or meetup of SOIAF fans happening at this years WorldCon where we can go to events and participate in them together?

On 8/8/2016 at 5:45 AM, Xray the Enforcer said:

We've found that FB, which is optimized for use on mobile devices, is much easier to use for at-con organization of impromptu dinners, meet-ups, etc. If you're on FB, you can ask to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/532631506801816/

When you do, PM me your FB name so I know you're not a spambot trying to get into the group. :)

Storm Knight, visit the group if you are on facebook. It is the best place to find out where we will all be at any given time. There are details about the meet and greet on Thursday posted there as well. It is a great group. :)

Archived