Xray the Enforcer

2016 KC WorldCon: MidAmeriCon II Aug 17-21

269 posts in this topic

Last year was my first Worldcon and I had a blast. Just booked my hotel for MACII, so I'm committed now. See y'all there.

We designating a BwB hotel preferred hotel? 

All the hotels are about the same cost, so no real preference here. 

I booked the Marriott since that is the only hotel that has the con discount rate for a couple days before and after the con.  I plan to arrive a couple days early and leave a day or two after.  Plus for the first time ever, this year I reached Marriott guest Platinum Level so will likely get an upgraded room, free breakfast, etc.  :-)

So... does anyone know whether the rooms at the con rate are likely to sell out? How quickly do I need to book?

My job situation for then is looking increasingly unstable, and I'm not sure what I should be doing about it. My original plan was to get a triple room and assume that I'd be able to find another two people to take the other rooms. But then, if I end up getting a new job between now and then, I'm not sure how much holiday time I'll have to take off. Any thoughts?

5 hours ago, Prince Lodey said:

This worldcon thing sounds fun - count me in.

Excellent!

I've now booked flights and accommodation, staying at crowne plaza tues-mon. 

On 1/25/2016 at 4:49 PM, Cuellar said:

We designating a BwB hotel preferred hotel? 

All the hotels are about the same cost, so no real preference here. 

not that I can tell. A lot of people are staying at the Marriott, so that might be the best bet. 

3 hours ago, TitanCat said:

So... does anyone know whether the rooms at the con rate are likely to sell out? How quickly do I need to book?

My job situation for then is looking increasingly unstable, and I'm not sure what I should be doing about it. My original plan was to get a triple room and assume that I'd be able to find another two people to take the other rooms. But then, if I end up getting a new job between now and then, I'm not sure how much holiday time I'll have to take off. Any thoughts?

They will probably eventually sell out, but I don't think that will happen for a few weeks.

Anyone on the con-com know more?

the wife and i will be there :)

haven't booked our hotel yet but we will in the next couple days

8 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

They will probably eventually sell out, but I don't think that will happen for a few weeks.

Anyone on the con-com know more?

Thanks for this! I'll try and make my mind up sooner rather than later then...

Is anyone looking for room shares?

19 hours ago, TitanCat said:

I booked the Aladdin and they let you cancel reservations up to 72 hours ahead of check-in without a penalty. You could always book a room now, and then cancel the reservation if work gives you trouble.

Edited by Rcollins

4 minutes ago, Rcollins said:

I booked the Aladdin and they let you cancel reservations up to 72 hours ahead of check-in without a penalty. You could always book a room now, and then cancel the reservation if work gives you trouble.

Marriot is day before cancellation if I recall correctly.   

13 minutes ago, Sir Knight Somerville said:

Even better.

22 minutes ago, Rcollins said:

17 minutes ago, Sir Knight Somerville said:

Thanks for this! I didn't even slightly think of that option, so you've saved me a bunch of stress :)

Generally they don't bill you up front either, so you don't have to float the cash. 

Going to book the Marriott here. And got my flights booked as well!

Edited by Cuellar

10 hours ago, TitanCat said:

Thanks for this! I'll try and make my mind up sooner rather than later then...

Is anyone looking for room shares?

Based on convos in the FB group, you might want to book a room now and then cancel it if you decide you can't swing the trip. :) As others have noted, you will not be penalized if you do that before the penalty date, and as Cuellar notes, they usually don't bill your credit card in advance.

Hugo nominations are now open.

Going to work on my flights at the weekend.  Looks like it has to be Delta (sigh) if I want to do it with just one stopover.

Hotel (Marriott) and flight now booked. See y'all there.

AND sharing my flights with the one and only Maid of Woodlynne, too!

Edited by DaveAx
Update