Who among the baratheon brothers would make the best king

Yucef Menaerys

I think that it would have been Renly, Robert and Stannis. In recent times I've come to change many of my previous perceptions regarding the Baratheon brothers and among them Renly's potential and purpose. While Renly has some of the flaws of Robert I do also think that he has many of Robert's strengths as well, and that effectively it would have been better for House Baratheon if Stannis supported Renly, and that Renly would have a better chance of getting the realm into shape to withstand the attempted Targaryen restoration than Stannis would have been able, even if Stannis was to take the throne.

My main argument in favor of Renly is his more "humble" (notice the quotation marks) approach to other people in that he seems more interested in gathering the power to himself and accept former enemies as his friends. For example I could see Renly bringing the West into his fold with some generous appeal and use of hostages while a similar approach would be out of the question for Stannis. I still like Stannis as a person but I'm more and more starting to feel that Renly was the best shot House Baratheon had for re-taking control of the the throne after Robert left Westeros.

Honestly? Robert had the most charisma and capacity to inspire loyalty, and he had some awareness of his faults - more awareness than Renly ever exhibited, certainly. I think Robert had the most inherent potential to be a good king. 

Robert = Viserys I

Stannis = Maekar I

Renly = ??? (Viserys II maybe?)

I don't know enough about Renly to consider what kind of king he may have been. Some say he was shallow and not kingly material, others say he was smart and considerate of things.

For a truly great king, you really need to combine all three.  Robert had the generosity, larger than life aspect, and ability to forgive; Stannis has the sense of justice and ability to put the kingdom ahead of his own wishes; and Renly had the charm and political acumen.   

Wow.  Hate to say this:  Renly?  Popular as Robert but not as stupid when it comes to finances and women and cronyism?  His brothers are better in the field though. 

He is too much a summer king.He would hold tournaments and feasts all the time.He did so at the start of the war and even made a game out of making his Kingsguard.He's not serious enough.

He is too much a summer king.He would hold tournaments and feasts all the time.He did so at the start of the war and even made a game out of making his Kingsguard.He's not serious enough.

What's wrong with holding a tournament to determine a position in his KG? What else should they be judged on besides their martial abilities?

That was the right thing to do. Why ahould he have attacked his enemies when they were at their best?

Archived