Who among the baratheon brothers would make the best king

Yucef Menaerys

These are good men? Randyll is a war hawk, never gives an inch to his enemies or subjects. He'd make Renly constantly at war.
Loras is as headstrong as it gets, flipping out at Brienne (powered by jealously) and not heeding commander Jaime.
Garlan was nice to Tyrion and plays a persuasive look alike, I don't see other good characteristics.

Renly wanted to be king for glory. He refused all compromises and was sure his green teenage boyfriend was the best warrior. Renly was not made for diplomacy or strategies.
Robert was lazy and had no wish to rule.
Stannis is nuts, and has a hard time trusting and working with others. But he does, (Imry, Jon) I guess my vote goes to Stannis

What? He was asked a question about being a king in times of war. A good soldier and commander like Tarly fits that supporting role exceedingly well.

Renly chose to crown himself because he thought the Lannisters would kill him. He said it outright twice in Ned and Cat's POV chapters, and the Cersei confirms it later. So to protect himself from Cersei and the IT, he allied with Mace, the most powerful LP, by marrying Margaery. Now he did in part seize the throne because he thought he'd be the best king, but that's hardly the entire story. He couldn't bend the knee to Stannis as that would have dissolved his entire support system. Mace only allied with Renly to put his grandsons on the throne. Any compromises would have been foolish on his part. 

How would he deal with a famine? He is not a great administrator as far as we know. And most of his power came from a marriage and a power hungry house that would have monopolize the power to the point of having someone like Mace as hand. And he could have a chance against a Targ dinasty, if he could keep, the North,the Vale or Ricerlands on his side, and he was prepared to declare war against the Kingdom of the North if they did not bende the knee, so those kingdom may bot support him in a conflict like that.

he would handle the famine with the Reach and its massive amounts of food, HighGARDEN.

idk where that Tyrell/Mace power monopoly mini rant came from or what that has to do with famine, or a Targ restoration...

Renly has people like Tarly, and Rowan and Redwyne who would make pretty short work of any invasion as long as Cersei isn't there to hamstring them.

he would handle the famine with the Reach and its massive amounts of food, HighGARDEN.

idk where that Tyrell/Mace power monopoly mini rant came from or what that has to do with famine, or a Targ restoration...

Renly has people like Tarly, and Rowan and Redwyne who would make pretty short work of any invasion as long as Cersei isn't there to hamstring them.

1 A famine in westeros could hurt Highgarden too. Beign fertile=/= inmune to plagues or bad crops. Renly looks like an expender. And if a famine hits Westeros he may not afford a loan or have enough savings to buy food from Essos.
I mention the Tyrell monopoly because it could put on the small council incompetnet people like Mace.

Renly wanted to be liked even more than Robert; seemed like a more capable administrator and probably would have been better than Robert, but would have been worse financially than Robert.

Renly is specifically noted to be more temperate than Robert, and most likely wouldn't depend on Littlefinger's "borrow everything" mentality that left the Crown in crippling debt.

If the realm starts completely united, Renly in peace time, Robert in wartime.

Stannis has too many powerful enemies to be truly efficient in feudal society, and besides, from the PoV of the people, follows a false religion.

1 A famine in westeros could hurt Highgarden too. Beign fertile=/= inmune to plagues or bad crops. Renly looks like an expender. And if a famine hits Westeros he may not afford a loan or have enough savings to buy food from Essos.
I mention the Tyrell monopoly because it could put on the small council incompetnet people like Mace.

Where did this big spender vibe about Renly come from? I've seen it mentioned that he would worse than Robert with money. I just don't see it.

Also how exactly is Mace incompetent? Current hand of the King and has kept losses for his side to a minimum since RR.

Where did this big spender vibe about Renly come from? I've seen it mentioned that he would worse than Robert with money. I just don't see it.

Also how exactly is Mace incompetent? Current hand of the King and has kept losses for his side to a minimum since RR.

Beign hand=/= beign competent. And Renly likes tourneys and feast.He may not expend as much as Robert but he does not strike me as a austere person unlike Stannis. This exemplify in the peach. Renly tells Stannis to enjoy life, and the peach exemplifies this attitude

I've always wondered how King Renly with his Hand Ned would have fared against King Joffrey and Hand Tywin.  Renly seemed politically astute, and Ned provides him with the steel he needs.  If Renly can call upon the Tyrell forces, his host would be formidable.  This would also have given us the possibility of The Mountain leading his troops against Randall Tarly, Ned vs. Tywin as commanders, etc.

I would also be very interested in Varys' and Littlefinger's moves in this scenario.

Renly definitely. He understood politics better than the other two combined. Let Tarly take care of most of the military issues. Big upside of not burning people alive or drinking and whoring himself to death!

Beign hand=/= beign competent. And Renly likes tourneys and feast.He may not expend as much as Robert but he does not strike me as a austere person unlike Stannis. This exemplify in the peach. Renly tells Stannis to enjoy life, and the peach exemplifies this attitude

I never said he was competent, I asked you for an example of his incompetence...

Cat said he liked food and drink but doesn't seem a glutton or a drunk so I don't know how liking the fun things about Westerosi life equates to him being terrible with money.

Stannis. Renly is charismatic, and that's about it. It's actual skills that keep a realm together, skills which Stannis has. Stannis would actually kill Littlefinger and Varys because he knows that they thrive from corruption. Renly would have probably kept them around. 

I've always wondered how King Renly with his Hand Ned would have fared against King Joffrey and Hand Tywin.  Renly seemed politically astute, and Ned provides him with the steel he needs.  If Renly can call upon the Tyrell forces, his host would be formidable.  This would also have given us the possibility of The Mountain leading his troops against Randall Tarly, Ned vs. Tywin as commanders, etc.

I would also be very interested in Varys' and Littlefinger's moves in this scenario.

The North, Riverlands, Stormlands and Reach vs Westerlands would be just abusive. The Reach could probably solo.

What? He was asked a question about being a king in times of war. A good soldier and commander like Tarly fits that supporting role exceedingly well.

Renly chose to crown himself because he thought the Lannisters would kill him. He said it outright twice in Ned and Cat's POV chapters, and the Cersei confirms it later. So to protect himself from Cersei and the IT, he allied with Mace, the most powerful LP, by marrying Margaery. Now he did in part seize the throne because he thought he'd be the best king, but that's hardly the entire story. He couldn't bend the knee to Stannis as that would have dissolved his entire support system. Mace only allied with Renly to put his grandsons on the throne. Any compromises would have been foolish on his part.

But wars not good. Randyll would never pull out, nor would he help Renlys reputation with the smallfolk.
There's a million ways of not getting killed by Lannisters, like being a good subject to Stannis, or leaving Westeros.
Renly sided with Mace because he liked Loras and Margaery may have looked like Lyanna.
He could still let Maces grandson sit on the throne, usurping Shireen, as is tradition (Stannis said that'd be cool)
Renly didn't compromise with Ned Robb or Stannis, pretty much everyone. His desire to be king was purely selfish. Despite his lies, he didn't care if he's not the most suitable king

But wars not good. Randyll would never pull out, nor would he help Renlys reputation with the smallfolk.
There's a million ways of not getting killed by Lannisters, like being a good subject to Stannis, or leaving Westeros.
Renly sided with Mace because he liked Loras and Margaery may have looked like Lyanna.
He could still let Maces grandson sit on the throne, usurping Shireen, as is tradition (Stannis said that'd be cool)
Renly didn't compromise with Ned Robb or Stannis, pretty much everyone. His desire to be king was purely selfish. Despite his lies, he didn't care if he's not the most suitable king

The smallfolk love Renly. Randyll would do as he is told, as he has always done. Renly would have been alone and isolated. What you think is really irrelevant. Cersei had already killed his brother, the king, and said she wanted to kill Stannis and Renly too. So his choices are be loyal to Stannis, which likely gets him killed because the Tyrells are now gone, or leave Westeros completely, which still doesn't preserve his safety?

That's assuming Stannis doesn't have any boys. He's only 35 in ACOK. 

I find it laughable you call self-preservation selfish. Compromising with Ned means he gets killed by the GC or tossed in the jail with Ned. Compromising with Robb means breaking up the 7K and losing leverage with anyone else. Compromising with Stannis means he loses Tyrell support. If Stannis had bent the knee, the Lannisters would have been destroyed in half a second. It's hilarious you think Renly doesn't compromise or isn't pragmatic when comparing him in part to Stannis.

Archived