What is Jon Snow's real name?

ErasmusF

Not sure if I need to use spoilers or not....

Spoiler

Someone posted on another thread that they re-watched the scene with young Ned & young Lyanna over & over until they could tell what she was whispering. They said she whispered "His name is Aemon"

Of course that doesn't make it true in the books also but probably very likely. 

3 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Hide contents

Someone posted on another thread that they re-watched the scene with young Ned & young Lyanna over & over until they could tell what she was whispering. They said she whispered "His name is Aemon"

could be aemon or aegon, anything is possible at this point in the show lol 

Books are more important to me actually... 

so if he is indeed R+ L thn he might be aemon targaryen or Aemon Snow or Aemon River (depending on situation)

and I dont remember any evil Aemon from targaryen history, they were always selfless and honourable or atleast the 2 aemons i can recall were very similar to Jon in many ways...

On 2016-06-28 at 4:39 PM, zalim said:

Ned paid the price for this evil crime

so did cat 

and so did sansa by treating a motherless child in such a way

Honestly, what weed are you smoking? Evil crime? We are talking medieval fantasy here, there was slightly different understanding what crime is. If you kill someone, then it's probably a crime (unless that someone is so low-born that no one cares). If you break someone's nose in the bar, that's definitely not a crime. Treating bastard boy poorly doesn't come even close. And 'poorly' is quite a strong word. We've never heard any stories about Cat beating Jon or torturing him, or making him starve. Making him sit in the corner during feasts doesn't sound like a terrible treatment to me. For example, Sam's father made direct threats to Sam, but there are no such evidence about Cat. Sure, she hated Jon, but I don't think we can call it a crime.

2 hours ago, TheSmallOther said:

Honestly, what weed are you smoking? Evil crime? We are talking medieval fantasy here, there was slightly different understanding what crime is. If you kill someone, then it's probably a crime (unless that someone is so low-born that no one cares). If you break someone's nose in the bar, that's definitely not a crime. Treating bastard boy poorly doesn't come even close. And 'poorly' is quite a strong word. We've never heard any stories about Cat beating Jon or torturing him, or making him starve. Making him sit in the corner during feasts doesn't sound like a terrible treatment to me. For example, Sam's father made direct threats to Sam, but there are no such evidence about Cat. Sure, she hated Jon, but I don't think we can call it a crime.

you are talking rubbish, and it would seem you dont require weed to make mistakes, we are discussing a THEORY here incase JON isnt neds bastard or BASTARD at all yet he had to live that way and in my personal OPINION it is a crime, so stop crying like a kid just because you have different opinion on things.... you really need to grow up man

On June 30, 2016 at 8:12 AM, zalim said:

you are talking rubbish, and it would seem you dont require weed to make mistakes, we are discussing a THEORY here incase JON isnt neds bastard or BASTARD at all yet he had to live that way and in my personal OPINION it is a crime, so stop crying like a kid just because you have different opinion on things.... you really need to grow up man

I'm sorry but I agree with him completely. That's simply the way it was in those times. And this book is molded after those times heavily. In westeros it's just the way of life. Bastard sons are not accepted as well as true born sons. Ned knew jon isn't a bastard but he has to uphold his promise and honor so he treats him and raises him as a bastard. That's no crime 

On 30/06/2016 at 5:12 PM, zalim said:

Just like Entrisen said you are thinking out of the context of the book. You really shouldn't get so aggressive so easily. Moreover the way you're phrasing things here seems very dangerous to me. It suggests that if Jon really is Ned's bastard then it was alright for him to be treated this way...

Before I forget I think Jon's first name is ... Jon. I don't dislike the name and there are realistic reasons for this name to be chosen. And I'll add that he has been named Jon for so long now that he will likely continue to ask people to call him that but that's my opinion. We know he is Lyanna's son now, that is certain. And it is likely he could be Raeghar's son though that could still be wrong. I saw the post about the guy who watched the lyanna scene over and over and "heard" Aemon. This one is a bit ridiculous. She most likely isn't actually saying anything during the inaudible part but if he "heard" it... :)

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 9:44 PM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Reveal hidden contents

funny. I saw something else, on fb I think, where someone claimed to have lip-read Lyanna to have said his name is

Spoiler

Jaehaerys

On 6/27/2016 at 1:09 AM, zalim said:

So Aegon was born in 281 or 282 (lets say 282 for the sake of theory) (months system is still not very clear so we arent sure)

Jon Snow was born 283 (now aegon died in the same year so if theory is true he would have been maybe 1 year old)

Dany was born 284 but if theory is correct she was born in 283  (dany was taken and viserys would have been too young to realise the difference

OR maybe viserys knew all along and played his part...

GRRM said that Dany was born exactly 9 months after KL sack, Jon was about 7-8 months younger than her, and also that Aegon was 2 years older than Jon.

As for timeline. Aegon was born before Harrenhal. Then Harrenhall happened in 281. Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna in 282. Jon was born no less than 9 months after, probably later since I am assuming Rhaegar didn't impregnate Lyanna immediately after kidnap on the road.

KL Sack - 283

Take about a month or two for Ned to reach TOJ - Jon is born - 283

Dany was born 9 months later of KL Sack - so late 283/early 284 

You have to coincide Dany's theory with confirmed GRRM fact that Dany was born Exactly 9 months after KL Sack (where the night before Aerys raped Rhaella with Jaime as witness)

8 hours ago, Brother Seamus said:

funny. I saw something else, on fb I think, where someone claimed to have lip-read Lyanna to have said his name is

Hide contents

Jaehaerys

Yep saw this on Reddit I think. I don't see either name when I watch it lol 

And there was another lipreader who says there was no "Jaehaerys"said either, but that she did say something about "his name, and his house". Its just about enough for us to definitively say he was in fact Lyanna's child, and was a Targaryen, but i see more evidence of all R+L=J in the presence of the KG at the TOJ. Rheagar prioritize lyanna and baby Jon over the actual war that was happening at the time. Says something significant about all parties involved - including Aerys II and the whole of the KG, as to the relative influence of RHeagar vs his father.

I think "Jon Snow" is the cover alias Ned gave the kid to protect him, nothing more. I doubt Lyanna or Rheagar would have specified either Jon or Snow, unless it was with the same intent as Ned in raising the child anonymously, which was never their intention. I think there is a clue in the winterfell crypts that Bran will now know about to show Jon.

As to the actual name? He's a Targaryen. I like the idea of Aenar.

On 6/28/2016 at 6:44 PM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Reveal hidden contents

I heard the same thing, but they said that it was Jaehaerys:

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/4q9u0v/everything_his_name_is_the_true_meaning_of_j/

On 2.7.2016 at 2:14 AM, Entrisen said:

I'm sorry but I agree with him completely. That's simply the way it was in those times. And this book is molded after those times heavily. In westeros it's just the way of life. Bastard sons are not accepted as well as true born sons. Ned knew jon isn't a bastard but he has to uphold his promise and honor so he treats him and raises him as a bastard. That's no crime 

On 8.7.2016 at 3:12 PM, Anima said:

Just like Entrisen said you are thinking out of the context of the book. You really shouldn't get so aggressive so easily. Moreover the way you're phrasing things here seems very dangerous to me. It suggests that if Jon really is Ned's bastard then it was alright for him to be treated this way...

well first this is contradictory to your statement about NED LOVING JON (like a son?)

well Jon Arryn went to war and put everything in danger for 2 kids he fostered who werent even his blood now THAT is the love 

again both of you are wrong on what kind of WORLD that is, the argument is NED loving jon i say NO he didnt i am not saying that bastard should be treated that way and no i am not aggressive at all i am just saying NED should have done the RIGHT thing, he didnt need to let jon suffer, THB he was perhaps the 2nd most powerful man in the westeros, i mean he is the warden of the north and the king is his best friend, he could hide who jon was still give him a better life...

On 8.7.2016 at 6:00 PM, Masha said:

GRRM said that Dany was born exactly 9 months after KL sack, Jon was about 7-8 months younger than her, and also that Aegon was 2 years older than Jon.

As for timeline. Aegon was born before Harrenhal. Then Harrenhall happened in 281. Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna in 282. Jon was born no less than 9 months after, probably later since I am assuming Rhaegar didn't impregnate Lyanna immediately after kidnap on the road.

KL Sack - 283

Take about a month or two for Ned to reach TOJ - Jon is born - 283

Dany was born 9 months later of KL Sack - so late 283/early 284 

You have to coincide Dany's theory with confirmed GRRM fact that Dany was born Exactly 9 months after KL Sack (where the night before Aerys raped Rhaella with Jaime as witness)

well grrm is telling us what ppl of westeros KNOW and not the secret that might be revealed to us later on...

because if we believe everythin that grrm says thn according to him JON is neds bastard and if it turns out to be false thn alot of things grrm has told us in interviews are false to lead us on different path..

15 hours ago, zalim said:

well grrm is telling us what ppl of westeros KNOW and not the secret that might be revealed to us later on...

because if we believe everythin that grrm says thn according to him JON is neds bastard and if it turns out to be false thn alot of things grrm has told us in interviews are false to lead us on different path..

GRRM actually carefully avoided answering this question straightforward, unlike rather specific months.. The closest we get is that Tyrion was "most likely" named by his father, Dany by her mother and Jon by Ned. (Note not "his father" but Ned)

5 hours ago, Masha said:

GRRM actually carefully avoided answering this question straightforward, unlike rather specific months.. The closest we get is that Tyrion was "most likely" named by his father, Dany by her mother and Jon by Ned. (Note not "his father" but Ned)

Maybe  but it doesnt actually prove or disprove anything because grrm had made many statement which led to new theories but in the end they were simple comments... every information he gives us is the same as the ppl of westeros already know, the secret information was never revealed directly by him up untill GOT show, which showed us alot of background secret things...

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/07/2016 at 0:35 AM, zalim said:

well first this is contradictory to your statement about NED LOVING JON (like a son?)

well Jon Arryn went to war and put everything in danger for 2 kids he fostered who werent even his blood now THAT is the love 

again both of you are wrong on what kind of WORLD that is, the argument is NED loving jon i say NO he didnt i am not saying that bastard should be treated that way and no i am not aggressive at all i am just saying NED should have done the RIGHT thing, he didnt need to let jon suffer, THB he was perhaps the 2nd most powerful man in the westeros, i mean he is the warden of the north and the king is his best friend, he could hide who jon was still give him a better life...

Ned claims Jon as his bastard sacrificing his honor to do so in order to PROTECT him and to uphold the promise he made to the sister to which it is stated he was very close.

Ned knew he was seen carrying a child back to the North after having tried to rescue his sister which was known to have last been in the company of Raeghar Targaryen. So to discourage any link between the child and Lyanna/Raeghar he claimed that Raeghar had raped his sister which he had found dead in a "Bed of blood". This made it clear that there was no love between Lyanna and Raeghar and lessened the probability of a child since Raeghar had supposedly killed her shortly after raping her. He also stated that he (Ned) had fathered a bastard son on Wylla and possibly other women (example of the three sisters where Davos hears another theory) to further remove speculation on Lyanna and Raeghar being his parents. And it worked perfectly which is not so unbelievable knowing people's tendencies to expect the worst of even the noblest of people.

So having said that, Ned cleverly found a way to protect his nephew by claiming he was his bastard then he brought him up among his own children which cost him further dishonor and the eternal ire of his wife whom he ended up loving very much all so Jon would grow up among family whith the wealth and education that only the children of the Great houses have access to. He could have kept him away with some wet nurse who he would have provided for. But no he did not want to entrust his nephew and the last reminder of his sister to someone who was not family away from his protection. And you actually think Ned committed a crime towards him? That he did not love him? Man you're either a troll or you don't know the first thing about loving someone...

On 3.8.2016 at 0:54 PM, Anima said:

Ned claims Jon as his bastard sacrificing his honor to do so in order to PROTECT him and to uphold the promise he made to the sister to which it is stated he was very close.

Ned knew he was seen carrying a child back to the North after having tried to rescue his sister which was known to have last been in the company of Raeghar Targaryen. So to discourage any link between the child and Lyanna/Raeghar he claimed that Raeghar had raped his sister which he had found dead in a "Bed of blood". This made it clear that there was no love between Lyanna and Raeghar and lessened the probability of a child since Raeghar had supposedly killed her shortly after raping her. He also stated that he (Ned) had fathered a bastard son on Wylla and possibly other women (example of the three sisters where Davos hears another theory) to further remove speculation on Lyanna and Raeghar being his parents. And it worked perfectly which is not so unbelievable knowing people's tendencies to expect the worst of even the noblest of people.

So having said that, Ned cleverly found a way to protect his nephew by claiming he was his bastard then he brought him up among his own children which cost him further dishonor and the eternal ire of his wife whom he ended up loving very much all so Jon would grow up among family whith the wealth and education that only the children of the Great houses have access to. He could have kept him away with some wet nurse who he would have provided for. But no he did not want to entrust his nephew and the last reminder of his sister to someone who was not family away from his protection. And you actually think Ned committed a crime towards him? That he did not love him? Man you're either a troll or you don't know the first thing about loving someone...

we dont actually know WHAT promise he made to his sister in the BOOKs, it has not been revealed to us maybe the promise was to protect jon, take care of him and give him good life, raise him as his son i mean promise could be ANYTHING and the way he remembers are promise it almost seems like he didnt actually do a good job in keeping the promise and did he keep the promise properly by letting him join nightswatch? 

i mean here are the things he actually could have done if he actually loved jon 

first, legitimize him and raise him not as a bastard instead his legitimized son (he didnt have to give him name stark and by that robs position would not be in danger and jon would have had his own house when he was older...

2nd option, strictly tell catelyn to stop being a bitch about it and treat all of NEDS children equally

3rd option he could have told castelyn the truth and again explained his wife the situation and i am sure she would have shut her mouth for the sake of her own children...

4th option stop him from joining NW, i am sure you would happily send your son to join a group like NW to die in the cold without having kids right? thats the kind of love you are talking about? i am not troll i am talking about the practical things he COULD actually have done for jon if he had loved him as you claim and if you think its trolling thn you need psychiatrist because your version of love is sickening, ppl you love you try your best to keep thm happy and not let them suffer by making BS excuses like you are protecting them.... 

as i said he was the 2nd most powerfull man in westeros, robert would have never won a war against Ned stark even if he had found out that jon is the bastard of Lyanna stark.... 

House arryn and House Stark were connected and they were the main force behind Roberts rebellion i am sure jon arryn would have never gone against house tully whos elder daughter is married to starks would allow it... 

so it was North + arryns + riverlands against robert? 

logically in everys sense keeping jon in that condition was wrong... agreeing with his way is SICK

Archived