What is Jon Snow's real name?

ErasmusF

Just to point out that the word Lyanna whispers to Ned doesn't have to have been Jon Snow's real name. 

If the show wanted to hold back that information in case of leaks, the script could quite easily have said:

Lyanna moves closer to Ned and whispers "His name is... rhubarb"

If I wanted to keep it a secret 'til the following season, that's what I'd have done.

On 6.8.2016 at 3:10 PM, hitman47 said:

His real name is Aegon first of his name. Jon snow is just vessel for ageon 1

he will be 6th of this name mate.. only if he is not a bastard and actually become kings....

if his name is AEGON and if he is targaryen (if rhaegar and lyanna got married) it would be like this

Aegon Targaryen

6th of this name 

and all the titles bla  bla 

but i dont believe thats gnna happen

Jon is named by Ned after Jon Arryn which was like a father to him during his foster years at the vale. Whoever the father is (If the show is spoiling the books, all things point at Rhaegar) he is still a bastard. You may argue that since he was born in Dorne he should be a "Sand" but that's besides the point.

If you believe that Jon is the "Prince that was promsied"  and the "third head of the dragon" and that his parents married in secret thus making him "Jon Targaryen" and that he will marry his aunt and will both fly dragons towards the sunset.... you have not been paying attention :P

Jon will remain a Snow in the show and likely too in the books. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going with Jaherys as Jon's original name.  

Simply because it is  more likely to lead Ned into choosing the name "Jon." 

Of course, naming your bastard son  after your beloved foster father and fellow Lord (Jon Arryn) would make the Highborn look askance, yet most people would immediately accept the child as Ned's. 

Also it allows Ned to keep some portion of the name Lyanna's wanted to give her son, and honors her memory. 

On 8/26/2015 at 5:00 PM, Cleo Patch said:

I think Jon is his real first name. Rhaegar probably named him after his best friend Jon Connington. Coincidentally Ned's close friend is a Jon and so everybody thinks he named his kid after Jon Arryn. This is likely why Ned never had to change his name.

Actually Arthur Dayne was Rhaegar's BFF. Jon Connington was just a very good friend.

• 4 weeks later...

My preferred name is Jon Stark, the legitimate son of Ned and Ashara or a Targ FEMALE.  Jon was always the legitimate son, but Brandon got Catelyn pregnant with Robb so Ned did the decent thing, given that being a Targ boy was not a healthy option. Catelyn always suspected which is why she hated him.

His name is Albus Severus Targaryen. It is known.

On a serious note I think Jon is Jon. In the books at least. The show might name him Rhaejon or something equally cringe-worthy.

If I had to chose another name I’d go for Aemon because Aemon is a chill dude and I’m still not over his death. However, the only good reason for giving Jon a second name would be to somehow make him part of the identity-crisis narratives of Theon you-have-to-know-your-name Greyjoy, No One aka Arya Cat Weasel Arry Nan Salty (…) Stark and Alayne Stone.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25.9.2016 at 5:09 PM, Land's End said:

His name is Albus Severus Targaryen. It is known.

On a serious note I think Jon is Jon. In the books at least. The show might name him Rhaejon or something equally cringe-worthy.

If I had to chose another name I’d go for Aemon because Aemon is a chill dude and I’m still not over his death. However, the only good reason for giving Jon a second name would be to somehow make him part of the identity-crisis narratives of Theon you-have-to-know-your-name Greyjoy, No One aka Arya Cat Weasel Arry Nan Salty (…) Stark and Alayne Stone.

Well learning that Ned wasn't his biological father will definitely give him an identity give him an identity crisis. 

To the op: I could easily see his first name being Aemon (for the reasons that have been pointed out by other posters) and I believe that Lyanna and Rhaegar married. 

Just imagine Ned's face when he heard Jon shouting: "I'm Aemon (the Dragonknight)" :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering whether the name really matters. In my opinion:

1.) If either Lyanna, or Rhaegar, wanted their child to bear a specific name for some reason, it mattered to them surely, to Ned probably, but to the reader it does not matter story-wise. 

2) If the name is a forshadowing of future things then let's say it is important. But most names suggested here do not tell us much. For instance, there were bad Aegons and good Aegons. A smart Aemon and a noble Aemon. There were two well-loved Jahaeryses, but what does naming the baby after a great king tell us? That he will do great things? We know that, Jon's done some good already and he is a POV character, it's expected of him! :) 

3.) Regarding the spoiler (?) from the show, I know that some people have done a great job on reading the lips of Lyanna's actress, but I still have no idea why the name, if reasoned according to point 2.), would matter to the show which has so little backstory. For all we know, the show could have given Jon a completely idiotic different name which has nothing to do with what happens in the books. Regarding the lack of backstory, they could just have named him after a Targaryen known to the audience (Rhaegar, Aemon) to emphasize that Jon is half-Targaryen.

4.) To me, it would make sense if Lyanna - not having much time - told Ned something like - I am sorry that I ruined everything, I loved Rhaegar, the child was made of our love, he's my son, keep him safe, promise me, Ned. Alternatively, she could have given Ned exact instructions such as - raise him as you would his own, have him legitimized, tell him who his parents were when he's ready, don't ever tell him who his parents were. Why spend the precious time on saying a name the baby will not be known under?

5.) I think it is essential that Ned did not have serious intentions of Jon ever using another name or making any further name-related implications possible. He basically sent Jon to the Night's Watch to serve, that is, rot. Had they ever met again and had Ned told Jon about his parentage, poor Jon, Aegon, Aemon or Aerys would still be stuck at the Wall. Or is the NW oath bound to a person's identity?

6.) If ever Jon finds out that his mother has given him another name, he will still go by whatever name he finds the most comfortable at the moment, won't he? Jon Stark, Jon Targaryen, Jahaerys Stark, my bets are still on Jon Snow.

Sorry for being so sceptical, I actually enjoyed reading the posts in this thread! But I still believe that Ned just named Jon and that's it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2016 at 6:56 PM, tugela said:

His name is probably something similar to Jon, but with a Targaryen spelling. Something like Jhaeron.

Or Aegon.  I go with Aegon in Valyrian equates to Jon or John in Westerosi.

This would match with Dany's vision of Rheagar, a 'dark haired woman in a bed with a heavy wooden frame', and their child.  In the vision, Rhaegar says something akin to 'Aegon ... a fitting name...  His [song] is the Song of Ice and Fire.'  The 'dark-haired woman' could be either Elia or Lyanna.  My bet is that it's Lyanna.

8 hours ago, Thror Baratheon said:

Or Aegon.  I go with Aegon in Valyrian equates to Jon or John in Westerosi.

Rhaegar had already an Aegon.

8 hours ago, Thror Baratheon said:

This would match with Dany's vision of Rheagar, a 'dark haired woman in a bed with a heavy wooden frame', and their child.  In the vision, Rhaegar says something akin to 'Aegon ... a fitting name...  His [song] is the Song of Ice and Fire.'  The 'dark-haired woman' could be either Elia or Lyanna.  My bet is that it's Lyanna.

GRRM has told that she was Elia.

14 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Rhaegar had already an Aegon.

Mmm... That doesn't matter, really.  Rhaegar is attempting to fulfull a prophecy or vision

Peoplee IRL do name multiple children with the same name.   Not very common I admit, but it happens once i a while.

Oh.. example ... fictional maybe ... from The Last Kingdom ...Uthred, son of Uthred.

Origninal name was ... Osbert, but upon his brothers death in the story, his father had him renamed to Uthred.

Perhaps Rhaegar did something similar.  By the time that Jon was born, Rheagars 1st son would have been dead (or believed so) by Gregor's hand.  So .. .perhaps by an agreement or promise made to Rhaegar,  Lyanna named their son Aegon.

Could be a show vs book thing, too.  I am going partly off of what I believe that I heard Lyanna say to Ned.

The show has KOed book Aegon, so ...in the Show, so far, Rheagar had only one son named Aegon -- to Lyanna.

14 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

GRRM has told that she was Elia.

He has?  This I did not know nor was aware of.  Can you point me to a reference to look this up?

I did think it was Elia for a long time, but in the show, Lyanna was in that heavy wooden-framed bed from the vision.

9 hours ago, Thror Baratheon said:

Mmm... That doesn't matter, really.  Rhaegar is attempting to fulfull a prophecy or Vision

Peoplee IRL do name multiple children with the same name.   Not very common I admit, but it happens once i a while.

Oh.. example ... fictional maybe ... from The Last Kingdom ...Uthred, son of Uthred.

Origninal name was ... Osbert, but upon his brothers death in the story, his father had him renamed to Uthred.

Perhaps Rhaegar did something similar.  By the time that Jon was born, Rheagars 1st son would have been dead (or believed so) by Gregor's hand.  So .. .perhaps by an agreement or promise made to Rhaegar,  Lyanna named their son Aegon.

Could be a show vs book thing, too.  I am going partly off of what I believe that I heard Lyanna say to Ned.

The show has KOed book Aegon, so ...in the Show, so far, Rheagar had only one son named Aegon -- to Lyanna.

He has?  This I did not know nor was aware of.  Can you point me to a reference to look this up?

I did think it was Elia for a long time, but in the show, Lyanna was in that heavy wooden-framed bed from the vision.

It doesn't say in the visions that Rhaegar has to name all his sons Aegon, does it? They didn't mention names much, if at all.
Anyway, while there may be examples of naming one's second son after one's first son if  the firstborn son is dead, there are none in which both sons live.

When Rhaegar died, his son Aegon by Elia was still alive.  Rhaegar certainly didn't name his second son Aegon, and he didn't intend to name him Aegon, either. He believed in the prophesy: the Dragon has three heads. His son by Lyanna was not meant to replace a head of the Dragon, he was meant to be its third head. With a name of his own, so that there would be no confusion.

I don't see why Lyanna would name her son Aegon on her own - she would've named him Rhaegar - in memory of his father. Or she would've named him Rickard or Brandon, in memory of her own father or brother. 

If Lyanna had named her son Rickard, or Brandon - or even Jon -, Ned Stark would not have felt compelled to change the boy's name. All 3 were good names for a Stark. If Ned chose his name, Lyanna either didn't name her son, or her chosen name was inacceptable to the new government, to Robert Baratheon. 

Aegon, as a name, might have been borderline, but still acceptable - it was a known fact that Ned Stark was upset with Elia's fate and that of her children. People would've considered it very much Ned if he had named his bastard Aegon in protest because Robert let their murder go unpunished. 

Any other Targaryen name, however, would've been unacceptable - especially Aerys, or Rhaegar.
I think Lyanna named her son Rhaegar. 

P.S. If Rhaegar made Lyanna promise to give a special name to their child, according to prophesies he believed in, I think that name would have been Visenya. He already had an Aegon (after Aegon the Conqueror), and a Rhaenys (after Aegon the Conqueror's younger sister-wife). He was still lacking a Visenya (after Aegon the Conqueror's older sister). Alas, Rhaegar never learned that he got the prophesy wrong. Again.

Archived