Feast of Crows and Dance of Dragons Simultaneously?

I definitely agree, reading AFFC and ADWD simultaneous to any reading list, really makes the experience a much better one. You also start seeing connections between the two books that you might not with them separated the way they are. It's what I'm doing now, and I love it. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Would you guys say that reading them separately would m ake ADWD confusing, due to forgetting minor plot points and such, or will it be fine as the books are split geographically? I'm on my first read of the series and I'd like to know what would be the best way for me to go about reading these two. I've been so excited for them because of things I've heard and I'd like to get the most out of the experience. Thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've just finished my reread using the list and found it much more enjoyable than the first couple of times reading the books in published order.  Things seemed to make more sense to me although that could also be to do with it being the third full series read through so lots was still fresh in my mind as I was reading some everyday without long gaps to forget things. 

New poster here. Pleased to meet you all.

I'm on my first read of the series, and I'm doing the combined read of AFfC and ADwD. I printed out the list, and I still forget where I left off each night. I cross each chapter off the list as I finish reading it.

I've read the Twilight Saga, The Hunger Games Trilogy, The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, and all of Harry Potter, and I believe that these are the hardest books I've ever tried to read. I'm going to do a re-read after I finish with the last two, and maybe I can make some sense out of them.

I'm also on my first read of the series. I'm reading AFfC and ADwD combined and it's a blast. After reading lots of bad things about these books I was worried they would bore me to tears.. and surprisingly I find the experience at times more thrilling than when reading 1-3 volumes.. but it definitely takes me a lot of time to read it. Mainly because of the massiveness of those books combined and differences in quality of the chapters. When I'm reading Cersei, Davos, Jaime, Jon or Dorne it's interesting and fast reading... but then comes the 30 pages Brienne chapter and I'm done for at least a week. It's just soo boring.

But to sum it all up - try it. Most of the time you'll love it. Also with time you will realize that you're not reading just a novel; no, you are experiencing an amazing story of the entire fictional world through eyes of different characters.  I love when chapters from both books are so well connected. Really it feels just... enormous.

Just saw this thread and wanted to add (what I hope) is a little listener friendly info.

When I am not doing re-reads, I do re-listens on Audible so I can listen on my computer while I do other work, or take it in the car with me via my iPod. Audible is great, but they messed up the chapter numbering, which is frustrating as hell. You can go through and add bookmarks and notes via bookmarks, but I wish the chapter numbers lined up and/or the chapter list was the name of the chapter... ex: Sansa 10.

All of this is to say that I found this thread a while back and it has helped me immensely. Be sure to thank the creator ;)

I just read them this way for the first time.  I had a tough time doing it correctly with my kindle in the beginning since the chapters are labeled differently so I made kindle-friendly version here. 

I liked it better then reading the books separately.  I found it more insightful. 

• 11 months later...
On 8/28/2015 at 1:11 AM, furys shot said:

I just finished my 're-read of the two and read them at the same time, and I enjoyed it a lot more . Try to at least read a chapter or two a day, so you dont forget story lines . Here's a link for a spoiler free outline

http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-readerfriendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

There's only one possible storyline that could be spoiled and this helps fix that problem .

Fantastic!

Archived