Feast of Crows and Dance of Dragons Simultaneously?

I just finished ASoS and have heard mixed feeling about the next two books. Supposedly they split the characters into two books yet they occur during the same time period. Has anyone read both siumultaneously and if so, what was it like? Should I just read AFFC, or should I attempt both? Anyone who's tried both ways? Thanks for any input!

Yeah i have also seen the order online, its called a feast for dragons or something similar. Its the first half or 3/4s or so of ADWD that overlaps with AFFC. However i have only just finished AFFC and tbf i think i would have rather of read them together, because now when i start Dance I've got to try and remember what was happening in Feast at the same point.

I just finished my 're-read of the two and read them at the same time, and I enjoyed it a lot more . Try to at least read a chapter or two a day, so you dont forget story lines . Here's a link for a spoiler free outline

http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-readerfriendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

There's only one possible storyline that could be spoiled and this helps fix that problem .

Thanks for the feedback. From what it looks like, both would be better. 

I just finished my 're-read of the two and read them at the same time, and I enjoyed it a lot more . Try to at least read a chapter or two a day, so you dont forget story lines . Here's a link for a spoiler free outline

http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-readerfriendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

There's only one possible storyline that could be spoiled and this helps fix that problem .

I'll definitely check that out, didn't think about spoilers from chapter to chapter.

Did GRR plan on writing these separate or was he persuaded to do them seperate. If he originally wanted the content together than I'll definitely do it. If he wanted the audience to experience it separate though than I will read Feast first. Does anyone know?

Fairly sure it was meant to be together but because of the size of it he split it in two geographicly?

I just finished ASoS and have heard mixed feeling about the next two books. Supposedly they split the characters into two books yet they occur during the same time period. Has anyone read both siumultaneously and if so, what was it like? Should I just read AFFC, or should I attempt both? Anyone who's tried both ways? Thanks for any input!

It was meant to be one enormous book (Around 2600 pages total counting the beginning of book 6 which was also was meant to be included in it) but it was too long (Just a bit) to be published in one book so they split it geographically. I read it AFFC > ADWD on the first go and simultaneously on the second. IMO it's far better to read them simultaneously. You won't miss half the POVs when you do it like that.

The list I used for the chapter order can be found here (I'm not certain but I think it's the same one. It's been two years since I read AFFC and ADWD last).

read it AFFC > ADWD on the first go and simultaneously on the second. IMO it's far better to read them simultaneously. You won't miss half the POVs when you do it like that.

Why should i read affc first then? I want to read them together now, but if there is some good reason not to first..

Why should i read affc first then? I want to read them together now, but if there is some good reason not to first..

Read my full post :D "I read them AFFC > ADWD on the first go..." I'd advise you to read them simultaneously according to the list I posted. I didn't bother with the skipped chapters (There are around two) of the list but they do give you minor spoilers so if you don't like that you might want to do it like the list says.

Did GRR plan on writing these separate or was he persuaded to do them seperate. If he originally wanted the content together than I'll definitely do it. If he wanted the audience to experience it separate though than I will read Feast first. Does anyone know?

I read somewhere that he did not want to give a half complete storyline for all the characters, so he gave the full storyline for half the characters instead. And while deciding which characters, he split it into geography :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm so delighted that I checked this thread - just finished a re-read up through ASOS. I definitely will try the simultaneous method, and thanks for the link to Boiled Leather with the suggested order. So excited to get started...maybe I can feign illness and leave work early. Naaap!

I'm so delighted that I checked this thread - just finished a re-read up through ASOS. I definitely will try the simultaneous method, and thanks for the link to Boiled Leather with the suggested order. So excited to get started...maybe I can feign illness and leave work early. Naaap!

No problem! Hope you enjoy the two of them together as much as I did!

Archived