Dancy is Tywin's Bastard

Lost Melnibonean

wth is happening here :lmao:

Although, Mithras has a point. Everything could have been different if Tywin and Aerys had resolved the sexual tension between them.

The best way to cure the mood swings of Aerys was to have swinger parties with Tywin.

<snip 

How Tysha being Tywin's daughter and Tyrion being attracted to her proves Tyrion was Aerys'? It proves that Aerys was secretly attracted to Tywin and Tyrion inherited that?

Because Tyrion has a thing for his own sister a la Targ incest.

Remember how Joanna was so adamant that Tywin not find out about Jamie and Cersei?  He was suspicious already before Tyrion was born, and he's been telling himself ever since Tyrion's birth that maybe the monster wasn't his kid anyway. 

The only thing that makes it impossible...I hope...is that even Tywin couldn't be such a bastard as to subject his own daughter--even a bastard daughter--to what he had done to Tysha...I hope.

• 7 months later...

I have a theory that Marei is a Velaryon bastard.  I did a forum search for any threads theorizing the same, but only found this one. 

She was silver hair and green eyes, like Aurane Waters.  She has a solemn face/personality.  Solemn is defined as serious or formal.  She also knows how to read (Alayaya tells Tyrion that she's teaching the other girls how to read) which speaks of privilege of some kind, such as growing up with nobility.  In Westeros, only nobility (and their bastards), septons/septas, and maesters are taught how to read.  She likely not the latter two.  Literacy might be more common amongst the low-born and unprivileged in Lys, but there's no hint of her being foreign in Tyrion's chapters.

I'm thinking that she is a bastard of Lucerys Velaryon, who was Master of Ships on Aerys' Small Council.  Perhaps her mother was also a whore, hence her being in the same profession?

• 8 months later...
On 4/17/2016 at 8:26 AM, Isobel Harper said:

I have a theory that Marei is a Velaryon bastard.  I did a forum search for any threads theorizing the same, but only found this one. 

She was silver hair and green eyes, like Aurane Waters.  She has a solemn face/personality.  Solemn is defined as serious or formal.  She also knows how to read (Alayaya tells Tyrion that she's teaching the other girls how to read) which speaks of privilege of some kind, such as growing up with nobility.  In Westeros, only nobility (and their bastards), septons/septas, and maesters are taught how to read.  She likely not the latter two.  Literacy might be more common amongst the low-born and unprivileged in Lys, but there's no hint of her being foreign in Tyrion's chapters.

I'm thinking that she is a bastard of Lucerys Velaryon, who was Master of Ships on Aerys' Small Council.  Perhaps her mother was also a whore, hence her being in the same profession?

That would make her a half-sister to the current Lord of Driftmark, and to Aurane Waters.

If her mother was a whore, how did the girl learn to read? Hmm...maybe she was given to the faith but ran away, like Saera Targaryen did.

38 minutes ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

That would make her a half-sister to the current Lord of Driftmark, and to Aurane Waters.

If her mother was a whore, how did the girl learn to read? Hmm...maybe she was given to the faith but ran away, like Saera Targaryen did.

And Merry Meg's girls... Wait, what was that? ...Crash!

9 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Well,  half-aunt to Monterys.  Monford died in the BotB. 

This whore house is associated with Varys.  If she is Aurane Waters' sister or half-sister, this familial connection could be a clue that Aurane was working with Varys in some way too.

9 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Maybe she was fostered on Driftmark as a child?  Or maybe she ran away as you propose?  I mean, would a noble house give up/sell a bastard to a brothel?  

On 8/27/2015 at 8:45 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

So, Im sayin' that Dancy is Tywin's natural daughter, and this scene. . .

She could be the daughter of Gerion Lannister, he is Tywin's full brother and he has an acknowledged bastard from a common woman. Isn't the norm in the non-Dornish Westerosi kingdoms to acknowledge only the bastards with high born women? 

3 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

This whore house is associated with Varys.  If she is Aurane Waters' sister or half-sister, this familial connection could be a clue that Aurane was working with Varys in some way too.

She could be Aerys's bastard. Like you said the whorehouse is connected to Varys and he has been known to provide for the bastards of kings possibly for future use. And doesn't Varys's little birds know how to read? 

37 minutes ago, Pain killer Jane said:

She could be the daughter of Gerion Lannister, he is Tywin's full brother and he has an acknowledged bastard from a common woman. Isn't the norm in the non-Dornish Westerosi kingdoms to acknowledge only the bastards with high born women? 

But Gerold wasn't slidin' in and out of the hand's tunnel to Chatayaya's. 

3 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

But Gerold wasn't slidin' in and out of the hand's tunnel to Chatayaya's. 

Unless Gerion was part of Tywin's household while he was hand. And Gerion was a sailor after all. I don't discount Tywin's use of whores or even having an extremely discrete mistress but allowing her to have a baby of his seed seems super out of character for Tywin. Tywin seems like the type to force a woman that wasn't his wife to drink moontea because he wouldn't want anything to threaten his legacy. 

Gerion on the other hand seems like their father, Tytos and probably openly was a whoremonger. He did after all acknowledge his bastard, Joy with a commoner. I bet the only reason he acknowledged his bastard with Briony was because she was a merchant's daughter and therefore is an echo of Harry the Heir and Saffron, and BobbyB and Mya Stone's mother. But we need to remember that Tywin was head of the family and would never allow Gerion to acknowledge a bastard he had with a whore a la Doran and Oberyn.

On 17/04/2016 at 11:26 PM, Isobel Harper said:

I thought their mother might be of Velaryon blood (explaining the silver hair and Rhaegar-like looks of Aurane, and temperament of Marei) but also thought Marei and Aurane both could be Petyr Baeilish's biological children, being the only characters having grey-green eyes, other than him.

Petyr's sigil is the cuckoo, and what could be more cuckoo-like than passing off his own offspring as that of some other lord, and having them take over the nest of the older, more esteemed houses, and oust the legitimate heirs from them? Aurane is acknowledged as the bastard of Driftmark, and while the colours of his house are sea-green and silver (and Monford often wears or displays these colours), the colour of their eyes is more characteristically purple or lilac (and the eye colour of the legitimate lord and his heir are not mentioned).

Marie, I believe knows Petyr is her father. Marie's education might be due to her mother being well educated, or to Petyr ensuring she had some education. She might have been brought up with her mother in one of Petyr's brothels, where he could offer them protection and support, but obscure his paternity. That way, he has his hidden dagger in Chataya's, that he knows won't fail him, even though Chataya is who pays her. Or maybe the solemn girl knows her mother is effectively a hostage to Petyr. Passing Aurane off as the bastard of Driftmark might give him another hidden dagger too, if Aurane knows his true paternity, or at least, if he knows his mother and sister. In both cases, the tall silvery Velaryon/Targaryen looks distract people from the grey-green eyes and calculating manner of their unacknowledged father. 

Marei (I believe) had noticed that Alayaya was suspiciously well rested and making excellent progress in her reading, in spite of her exhaustingly long sessions with Tyrion, and Tyrion's strong attachment to Alayaya. She tipped off Petyr, and Bronn brought Alayaya to the Red Keep and to Cersei. ( Bronn is Petyr's man - Petyr Baelish hired him and Chiggen from Essos as  spy/sellswords, and probably Marillion too. They went with Catelyn to the Eyrie because they were paid to follow her, rather than winning the melee at King's Landing, or, in Marillion's case, earning easy money from the crowds at King's Landing,  rather than risking his life and his harp-fingers in a melee against the wildling clans in the Mountains of the Moon.)

Perhaps Petyr suggested Tywin have Alayaya questioned discreetly before she was whipped and released. Maybe she confessed about the tunnel, or maybe Varys rolled over before she had the chance, to ensure Tywin did not suspect him of disloyally keeping anything the Hand wanted to know from him. Pretty sure Tywin witnessed Shae and Tyrion together in ASoS Ch.12 Tyrion II, and that Shae understood that she would get her silks and furs and jewellery (ie. her PAY) back by doing so.

Although, Tywin could have known about Shae long before Alayaya. Or maybe she did not. Varys and Petyr seem to be playing a cat and mouse game over hidden tunnels and secrets and spies, anyway. Each tends to come up and question other characters about the other, while pretending to offer information, and blaming Cersei (eg. AGoT, Ch.25 Eddard V; Ch.30 Eddard VII). I suspect it was Petyr's notion to burn down the tower of the Hand with Tyrion's possessions (and Shae's booty - which he might still have thought was Alayaya's). His secret tunnel doesn't run to the Tower of the Hand.

Aurane could have been useful to Petyr as an informer and influencer in Stannis's fleet. There are hints that he might have been collaborating: Lord Velaryon agreed with Sallador Saan that they should attack Joffrey at King's Landing, not Renly at Storm's End. At that time Petyr seems to have had a lot of secret friends in Renly's court, and had lost influence in Joffrey's court, thanks to Tyrion, whom he seems to have some genuine antipathy for (possibly the only genuine emotion Petyr has ever shown), taking over his goldcloaks.

Although, Velaryon wouldn't need Petyr's counsel to know it was better strategy to attack King's Landing while Lord Tywin was preoccupied with Riverrun and Harrenhal, than to make an enemy of Renly and besiege Storm's End, the castle that has legendarily withstood siege even from the gods.

Later, we know someone put the idea of Aurane as Master of Ships into Cersei's head, and it wasn't Jaime.(AFfC, Ch.16 Jaime II) Cersei's notion that Aurane is an anti-Tyrell pick is negated by Aurane's shmoozing with Elinor at Tommen's wedding.(AFfC, Ch.12 Cersei III). Critically, it is Aurane that suggests the ten  Dromonds that can be afforded by suspending payment to the Bank of Braavos (AFfC, Ch.17 Cersei IV).

At the time, Petyr is (supposedly, most of the time) at the Eyrie, and the Gates of the Moon, and Gulltown, writing his ravens into the wee hours of the morning, and gleefully reporting to Alayne that "Cersei stumbles from one idiocy to the next, helped along by her council of the deaf, the dim, and the blind."(AFfC, Ch.41 Alayne II). The council are Pycelle, Qyburn - whispers, Rosby - treasurer, Merryweather - justicar, Swift - Hand, and Aurane - admiral.

Qyburn's whispers seem to originate from the docks, but he isn't hearing things on the docks that Aurane is hearing (eg. about dragons, and the Golden Company (AFfC, Ch.17 Cersei IV)), and it seems likely to me that he is getting his information from other sources. Other Baelish sources. So he is 'deaf'. Merryweather I suspect is 'blind' and Swift is 'dim'. Rosby is dying, and Cersei is over him, Pycelle is indignant, and Cersei has no time for him either. Cersei has a lot of time for the handsome bastard of Driftmark, who seems to be neither blind, nor deaf, nor dim. And Petyr does his best work in absentia.

I'm not saying Aurane is without flaws: his seem to be similar to those of Lord Velaryon. Monford Velaryon's temperament is proud but not especially loyal (looks at Stannis, not the fire, and would not confide his private thoughts to a lowborn, although he does give Lord Seaworth a curt nod, rather than ignoring him completely ( ACoK, Ch.10 Davos I)), he is hot-headed (ACoK, Ch.42 Davos II ) and young and handsome (ACoK, Ch.00 Prologue) and most probably dead, although, as Tyrion found himself fighting Velaryon spearmen, and we learnt earlier that Prince of Driftmark, between two Lannister runners, forming part of the snarl of boats that became the bridge across the Blackwater, with Dragonsbane at its foot on the North bank. It is conceivable, if unlikely, that the Lord of Driftmark might have crossed from the deck to land incognito and survived. (ACoK, Ch.61 Tyrion XIV; ASoS, Ch.25 Davos III). Although it is unlikely - he is worth money, and people know him.

Still, Aurane made it to shore and survived the battle.(ACoK, Ch.65 Sansa VIII). Aurane's jibe about Stannis taking a 'turnip knight' (AFfC, Ch.17 Cersei IV) as hand, and his reforms of Cersei's navy (AFfC, Ch.24 Cersei V) show he is contemptuous of Davos's low birth, and his decisions as an admiral show the same direct,  hot-head style as Monford. For my theory to work, he has to know his biological father is Petyr, not Lord Velaryon's father. Otherwise he has no particular reason to be loyal to Petyr over Stannis and Cersei.

On the original post, about Dancy and Tywin and hair colour- it seem perfectly possible. Tywin doesn't have the emerald-green eyes of magical mystical Lann the clever, his are 'pale green flecked with gold'. His side-whiskers are 'wiry golden hair' and while we learn his hair was once 'thick and golden', he shaves his balding head so we have no idea if he is a strawberry blonde, or if his hair was curly or straight.

I suspect his hair was straight, as he doesn't act like a man haunted by the troubling prescient dreams that disturb the sleep and sanity of Jaime and Cersei. Also, we don't get to know Genna's hair colour, and while we are told Kevan is a portly balding blond when we first meet him, we don't know if his hair was curly or straight either, beyond what we can guess from his oldest son having sandy hair (dark blond/ light brown - no hint of red), and Tyrek having the long golden curls, and both of them being handsome, unlike their chinless mother.

Of Tytos, we only know that he was portly, like Genna and Kevan. And craved the approval of his elders, like Kevan. All we know of Tygett is that Jaime fights like him. Gerion smiles like Jaime and has a sense of humour and wild dreams of Brightroar. Maybe he had curly hair. I suspect the reason we are not told about the curl of his father's hair, or his sibling's, is because Tywin's hair is straight, and he looks nothing like his twins. (Or maybe that should be 'his' twins).

Dancy could dye her hair, though there is no reason to suppose she does. Alyane (and, I guess, Lysa) darkens her auburn hair. Tyroshi dye their hair green, blue, pink, purple. Illyrio dyes his yellow. When you think of it, it makes sense that a whore would dye her hair, if customers are more likely to choose a girl whose hair was a particular colour. And we know from Oberyn that two customers, at least, were curious to see a blonde whore (although, they seem to have picked Alayaya over her, when it came to it). Apparently, they don't have blondes in Dorne.

In Volantis, the 'sunset girl' sex slave that Tyrion used had 'freckled cheeks and tight red curls upon her head, which gave promise of freckled breasts and red hair between her legs'(ADwD, Ch.22 Tyrion VI), so red hair is characteristic of Westeros, as well as blonde.  Freckles go better with a natural red-head, or strawberry blonde, rather than golden blonde, unless they are very light. The Willing Maiden held a girl with "red-gold hair and freckles on her teats", which shows that GRRM has described strawberry blonde hair as gold. She was ostensibly from Lys. Anyway, it shows your explanation is perfectly plausible and precedented.

2 hours ago, Walda said:

I thought their mother might be of Velaryon blood (explaining the silver hair and Rhaegar-like looks of Aurane, and temperament of Marei) but also thought Marei and Aurane both could be Petyr Baeilish's biological children, being the only characters having grey-green eyes, other than him.

Petyr's sigil is the cuckoo, and what could be more cuckoo-like than passing off his own offspring as that of some other lord, and having them take over the nest of the older, more esteemed houses, and oust the legitimate heirs from them? Aurane is acknowledged as the bastard of Driftmark, and while the colours of his house are sea-green and silver (and Monford often wears or displays these colours), the colour of their eyes is more characteristically purple or lilac (and the eye colour of the legitimate lord and his heir are not mentioned).

Marie, I believe knows Petyr is her father. Marie's education might be due to her mother being well educated, or to Petyr ensuring she had some education. She might have been brought up with her mother in one of Petyr's brothels, where he could offer them protection and support, but obscure his paternity. That way, he has his hidden dagger in Chataya's, that he knows won't fail him, even though Chataya is who pays her. Or maybe the solemn girl knows her mother is effectively a hostage to Petyr. Passing Aurane off as the bastard of Driftmark might give him another hidden dagger too, if Aurane knows his true paternity, or at least, if he knows his mother and sister. In both cases, the tall silvery Velaryon/Targaryen looks distract people from the grey-green eyes and calculating manner of their unacknowledged father. 

Marei (I believe) had noticed that Alayaya was suspiciously well rested and making excellent progress in her reading, in spite of her exhaustingly long sessions with Tyrion, and Tyrion's strong attachment to Alayaya. She tipped off Petyr, and Bronn brought Alayaya to the Red Keep and to Cersei. ( Bronn is Petyr's man - Petyr Baelish hired him and Chiggen from Essos as  spy/sellswords, and probably Marillion too. They went with Catelyn to the Eyrie because they were paid to follow her, rather than winning the melee at King's Landing, or, in Marillion's case, earning easy money from the crowds at King's Landing,  rather than risking his life and his harp-fingers in a melee against the wildling clans in the Mountains of the Moon.)

Perhaps Petyr suggested Tywin have Alayaya questioned discreetly before she was whipped and released. Maybe she confessed about the tunnel, or maybe Varys rolled over before she had the chance, to ensure Tywin did not suspect him of disloyally keeping anything the Hand wanted to know from him. Pretty sure Tywin witnessed Shae and Tyrion together in ASoS Ch.12 Tyrion II, and that Shae understood that she would get her silks and furs and jewellery (ie. her PAY) back by doing so.

Although, Tywin could have known about Shae long before Alayaya. Or maybe she did not. Varys and Petyr seem to be playing a cat and mouse game over hidden tunnels and secrets and spies, anyway. Each tends to come up and question other characters about the other, while pretending to offer information, and blaming Cersei (eg. AGoT, Ch.25 Eddard V; Ch.30 Eddard VII). I suspect it was Petyr's notion to burn down the tower of the Hand with Tyrion's possessions (and Shae's booty - which he might still have thought was Alayaya's). His secret tunnel doesn't run to the Tower of the Hand.

Aurane could have been useful to Petyr as an informer and influencer in Stannis's fleet. There are hints that he might have been collaborating: Lord Velaryon agreed with Sallador Saan that they should attack Joffrey at King's Landing, not Renly at Storm's End. At that time Petyr seems to have had a lot of secret friends in Renly's court, and had lost influence in Joffrey's court, thanks to Tyrion, whom he seems to have some genuine antipathy for (possibly the only genuine emotion Petyr has ever shown), taking over his goldcloaks.

Although, Velaryon wouldn't need Petyr's counsel to know it was better strategy to attack King's Landing while Lord Tywin was preoccupied with Riverrun and Harrenhal, than to make an enemy of Renly and besiege Storm's End, the castle that has legendarily withstood siege even from the gods.

Later, we know someone put the idea of Aurane as Master of Ships into Cersei's head, and it wasn't Jaime.(AFfC, Ch.16 Jaime II) Cersei's notion that Aurane is an anti-Tyrell pick is negated by Aurane's shmoozing with Elinor at Tommen's wedding.(AFfC, Ch.12 Cersei III). Critically, it is Aurane that suggests the ten  Dromonds that can be afforded by suspending payment to the Bank of Braavos (AFfC, Ch.17 Cersei IV).

At the time, Petyr is (supposedly, most of the time) at the Eyrie, and the Gates of the Moon, and Gulltown, writing his ravens into the wee hours of the morning, and gleefully reporting to Alayne that "Cersei stumbles from one idiocy to the next, helped along by her council of the deaf, the dim, and the blind."(AFfC, Ch.41 Alayne II). The council are Pycelle, Qyburn - whispers, Rosby - treasurer, Merryweather - justicar, Swift - Hand, and Aurane - admiral.

Qyburn's whispers seem to originate from the docks, but he isn't hearing things on the docks that Aurane is hearing (eg. about dragons, and the Golden Company (AFfC, Ch.17 Cersei IV)), and it seems likely to me that he is getting his information from other sources. Other Baelish sources. So he is 'deaf'. Merryweather I suspect is 'blind' and Swift is 'dim'. Rosby is dying, and Cersei is over him, Pycelle is indignant, and Cersei has no time for him either. Cersei has a lot of time for the handsome bastard of Driftmark, who seems to be neither blind, nor deaf, nor dim. And Petyr does his best work in absentia.

I'm not saying Aurane is without flaws: his seem to be similar to those of Lord Velaryon. Monford Velaryon's temperament is proud but not especially loyal (looks at Stannis, not the fire, and would not confide his private thoughts to a lowborn, although he does give Lord Seaworth a curt nod, rather than ignoring him completely ( ACoK, Ch.10 Davos I)), he is hot-headed (ACoK, Ch.42 Davos II ) and young and handsome (ACoK, Ch.00 Prologue) and most probably dead, although, as Tyrion found himself fighting Velaryon spearmen, and we learnt earlier that Prince of Driftmark, between two Lannister runners, forming part of the snarl of boats that became the bridge across the Blackwater, with Dragonsbane at its foot on the North bank. It is conceivable, if unlikely, that the Lord of Driftmark might have crossed from the deck to land incognito and survived. (ACoK, Ch.61 Tyrion XIV; ASoS, Ch.25 Davos III). Although it is unlikely - he is worth money, and people know him.

Still, Aurane made it to shore and survived the battle.(ACoK, Ch.65 Sansa VIII). Aurane's jibe about Stannis taking a 'turnip knight' (AFfC, Ch.17 Cersei IV) as hand, and his reforms of Cersei's navy (AFfC, Ch.24 Cersei V) show he is contemptuous of Davos's low birth, and his decisions as an admiral show the same direct,  hot-head style as Monford. For my theory to work, he has to know his biological father is Petyr, not Lord Velaryon's father. Otherwise he has no particular reason to be loyal to Petyr over Stannis and Cersei.

On the original post, about Dancy and Tywin and hair colour- it seem perfectly possible. Tywin doesn't have the emerald-green eyes of magical mystical Lann the clever, his are 'pale green flecked with gold'. His side-whiskers are 'wiry golden hair' and while we learn his hair was once 'thick and golden', he shaves his balding head so we have no idea if he is a strawberry blonde, or if his hair was curly or straight.

I suspect his hair was straight, as he doesn't act like a man haunted by the troubling prescient dreams that disturb the sleep and sanity of Jaime and Cersei. Also, we don't get to know Genna's hair colour, and while we are told Kevan is a portly balding blond when we first meet him, we don't know if his hair was curly or straight either, beyond what we can guess from his oldest son having sandy hair (dark blond/ light brown - no hint of red), and Tyrek having the long golden curls, and both of them being handsome, unlike their chinless mother.

Of Tytos, we only know that he was portly, like Genna and Kevan. And craved the approval of his elders, like Kevan. All we know of Tygett is that Jaime fights like him. Gerion smiles like Jaime and has a sense of humour and wild dreams of Brightroar. Maybe he had curly hair. I suspect the reason we are not told about the curl of his father's hair, or his sibling's, is because Tywin's hair is straight, and he looks nothing like his twins. (Or maybe that should be 'his' twins).

Dancy could dye her hair, though there is no reason to suppose she does. Alyane (and, I guess, Lysa) darkens her auburn hair. Tyroshi dye their hair green, blue, pink, purple. Illyrio dyes his yellow. When you think of it, it makes sense that a whore would dye her hair, if customers are more likely to choose a girl whose hair was a particular colour. And we know from Oberyn that two customers, at least, were curious to see a blonde whore (although, they seem to have picked Alayaya over her, when it came to it). Apparently, they don't have blondes in Dorne.

In Volantis, the 'sunset girl' sex slave that Tyrion used had 'freckled cheeks and tight red curls upon her head, which gave promise of freckled breasts and red hair between her legs'(ADwD, Ch.22 Tyrion VI), so red hair is characteristic of Westeros, as well as blonde.  Freckles go better with a natural red-head, or strawberry blonde, rather than golden blonde, unless they are very light. The Willing Maiden held a girl with "red-gold hair and freckles on her teats", which shows that GRRM has described strawberry blonde hair as gold. She was ostensibly from Lys. Anyway, it shows your explanation is perfectly plausible and precedented.

LF is in his early 30s.  Aurane and Marei are in their early 20s.  No way that Petyr is their father; he's too young. 

I have a hunch that Aurane (and Marei... and maybe LF too?) is related to Lady Webber.  She and Aurane both share grey-green eyes AND a dimpled chin.  I think Lady Webber went into hiding when she "mysteriously disappeared" and took on a new identity.

Funny thing is, Aurane might therefore be related to House Lannister and not even know it. 

ETA : Tyrion notes Ilyrio having yellow chest chair.  I think that's  natural hair color. 

1 hour ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Kinda curious that Marei's still in the show and she's going straight into the seventh season. :P

Yeah but wasn't she the gal who could perform the Meereenese knot? I mean with that kind of talent...

On 8/27/2015 at 1:26 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

Your saying similar names trumps similar physical traits? I don't think so. But in any case, you missed my point upthread about Charles Dance. Eh? See, this theory is airtight.

There's something to this. The name Dancy, I mean.

Tyrion associates with whores while the Stark men associate with horses. This may be the purpose of the horse / whores pun: to get us to compare what the Starks do with horses and what Tyrion does with whores.

Bran has a horse named Dancer, which he can ride because Tyrion designed a saddle for him. At the Harvest Feast at Winterfell, GRRM helps us to see that Hodor is also a sort of horse for Bran by showing Bran ride into the feast on the back of the horse, Dancer; Hodor as the only dancer (for a time) at the feast; and Bran leave the feast carried by Hodor. In fact, Bran leaves the feast (in part) because he doesn't want to watch people dancing because that's something he can never do. (At an earlier point in the story, I believe that Ned had sadly thought about the fact that Bran could not have sex when he grows up. Actually, a lot of disable people can have sex but maybe the "dancing" is a metaphor for sex in Bran's arc. Certainly Bran's later skinchanging into Hodor is portrayed as a form of rape.)

So then we get Tyrion rejecting the advances of the sex worker named Dancy. He's still planning to have sex, just not with Dancy. Maybe this is a way of showing that he has given up his whoring ways ("dancing") and that he wants to be true to a woman he loves.

This may be a stretch, but I was thinking about Dancer the other day and wondered whether there might be Dancer / Sandor wordplay. There is sexual tension between Sansa and Sandor . . .

This wordplay stuff doesn't contradict any of the theories here about the secret paternity or maternity of the prostitutes, but it might help to explain GRRM's purpose for detailing their appearance and personalities.

Rohanne Webber was also strongly associated with horses, and she tries to give Dunk a horse at the end of their flirtation, but he declines. Egg, on the other hand, does accept a horse from her, iirc. So maybe that symbolizes a sexual connection between the Targs and Rohanne Webber.

The fact that the bet between Dancy and Marei involves black pearls might also give us a hint about their family trees. The prostitute associated with The Black Pearl was a Targ mistress and a pirate queen. The fact that Marei wants to obtain Dancy's black pearls might mean that both are Targ descendants.

21 minutes ago, Seams said:

There's something to this. The name Dancy, I mean.

Tyrion associates with whores while the Stark men associate with horses. This may be the purpose of the horse / whores pun: to get us to compare what the Starks do with horses and what Tyrion does with whores.

Bran has a horse named Dancer, which he can ride because Tyrion designed a saddle for him. At the Harvest Feast at Winterfell, GRRM helps us to see that Hodor is also a sort of horse for Bran by showing Bran ride into the feast on the back of the horse, Dancer; Hodor as the only dancer (for a time) at the feast; and Bran leave the feast carried by Hodor. In fact, Bran leaves the feast (in part) because he doesn't want to watch people dancing because that's something he can never do. (At an earlier point in the story, I believe that Ned had sadly thought about the fact that Bran could not have sex when he grows up. Actually, a lot of disable people can have sex but maybe the "dancing" is a metaphor for sex in Bran's arc. Certainly Bran's later skinchanging into Hodor is portrayed as a form of rape.)

So then we get Tyrion rejecting the advances of the sex worker named Dancy. He's still planning to have sex, just not with Dancy. Maybe this is a way of showing that he has given up his whoring ways ("dancing") and that he wants to be true to a woman he loves.

This may be a stretch, but I was thinking about Dancer the other day and wondered whether there might be Dancer / Sandor wordplay. There is sexual tension between Sansa and Sandor . . .

This wordplay stuff doesn't contradict any of the theories here about the secret paternity or maternity of the prostitutes, but it might help to explain GRRM's purpose for detailing their appearance and personalities.

Rohanne Webber was also strongly associated with horses, and she tries to give Dunk a horse at the end of their flirtation, but he declines. Egg, on the other hand, does accept a horse from her, iirc. So maybe that symbolizes a sexual connection between the Targs and Rohanne Webber.

The fact that the bet between Dancy and Marei involves black pearls might also give us a hint about their family trees. The prostitute associated with The Black Pearl was a Targ mistress and a pirate queen. The fact that Marei wants to obtain Dancy's black pearls might mean that both are Targ descendants.

The first two paragraphs had me laughing so hard I could read the rest through the tears in my eyes. 

Archived