Star Wars Episode VII: The Fourth Awakens

Rhom

Given Lucas' interest in mythic structure (to the detriment of traditional character development) and all the parallels cited in the article, I think it's a safe bet to assume it's intended.

My family plans on rewatching all 6 movies in prep for Ep 7. It'll be fun doing that with the ring theory in mind.

Plans on watching? You mean you don't sit down and watch the Holy Trilogy at least once a week!?! And you call yourself a fan!

Sky currently has a dedicated Star Wars channel (or they did recently anyway). It's been great. :D

I've had this on in the background for the better part of a month. Star Wars has now officially become a time travel story about an old British ghost who endlessly travels backwards in time to try to save his former master and prevent his pupil from succumbing to temptation and dooming millions to their deaths. 

But some KOTOR-related things being brought back doesn't mean that KOTOR's story is canon again, unless it's specifically refers to those events.

Apparently, and this is more the case for the Old Republic stuff and even (to a lesser extent) the Clone Wars era stuff, the Legends stuff is still stuff that happened, but the Legends versions are what are believed to have happened, not necessarilyy the real deal. So KotOR would be like a vid or game or book in the SW universe about those events, and may be broadly correct, but if something comes up with it that Lucasfilm or Disney need to contradict, they will do so. With the Old Republic stuff it's mostly completely irrelevant; I don't get any impression that Disney want to revisit that timeframe out of TOR. Clearly for the post-RotJ EU, all of that stuff is completely gone. But for the earlier stuff, there's no reason for it.

If you look at the materials being written about the new canon, post-RotJ/EU-specific planets, species and characters are completely missing, but TOR stuff is getting mentioned and confirmed in the new canon like Taris and Chandrila.

Given Lucas' interest in mythic structure (to the detriment of traditional character development) and all the parallels cited in the article, I think it's a safe bet to assume it's intended.

My family plans on rewatching all 6 movies in prep for Ep 7. It'll be fun doing that with the ring theory in mind.

If you mean intended from back in the 1970s, then no, absolutely not. Intended when Lucas wrote the prequels? Quite possibly. I'd be interested to see Lucas talk about it. I generally get the impression that whatever bigger picture he had in mind kept changing right up until the editing of RotS, but it'd be cool if he had been working to a masterplan.

Making Star Wars has another set of potential spoilers for TFA, regarding character alignment, coming from the TFA trading cards:

[spoiler]It shows Kylo Ren with a Sith symbol, Rey with a Jedi symbol and Finn with neither. That could mean something, or it could just be the card makers cutting corners. I think it fits with a lot of the leaks/rumours though.[/spoiler]

I'm pretty sure that at least a fair bit of that cyclical mirror stuff was indeed intended, but I'd be a lot more impressed if Obi Wan hadn't forgotten that he was right there when 'one other' was born, for example.

The "there is another" sequence wasn't necessarily meant about Leia, it was there to make the audience beloeve that Luke might die, apparently.

Apparently, and this is more the case for the Old Republic stuff and even (to a lesser extent) the Clone Wars era stuff, the Legends stuff is still stuff that happened, but the Legends versions are what are believed to have happened, not necessarilyy the real deal. So KotOR would be like a vid or game or book in the SW universe about those events, and may be broadly correct, but if something comes up with it that Lucasfilm or Disney need to contradict, they will do so. With the Old Republic stuff it's mostly completely irrelevant; I don't get any impression that Disney want to revisit that timeframe out of TOR. Clearly for the post-RotJ EU, all of that stuff is completely gone. But for the earlier stuff, there's no reason for it.

If you look at the materials being written about the new canon, post-RotJ/EU-specific planets, species and characters are completely missing, but TOR stuff is getting mentioned and confirmed in the new canon like Taris and Chandrila.

Huh, interesting. I guess that's a fair compromise.

In a few years, I think Disney might be more willing to play around with the timeline. Right now they're more concerned with covering the bases where Episode VII is concerned, but once the ST is done that will change. It took Del Rey years to be willing to stray from the period of the movies, too.

I had tried watching The Clone Wars, and it was just so juvenile that I could not get into it at all. I had dismissed Rebels altogether for this reason until I had a friend stop by yesterday who brought over a copy of the first season. It is really enjoyable and captures the feel of the first trilogy perfectly. I'm glad to be watching this.  

Plans on watching? You mean you don't sit down and watch the Holy Trilogy at least once a week!?! And you call yourself a fan!

/hangs head in shame... I'm a failure as a father and a human being...

If you mean intended from back in the 1970s, then no, absolutely not. Intended when Lucas wrote the prequels? Quite possibly. I'd be interested to see Lucas talk about it. I generally get the impression that whatever bigger picture he had in mind kept changing right up until the editing of RotS, but it'd be cool if he had been working to a masterplan.

No, I mean with the prequels. He didn't even direct (initially) all the originals. But if you take the ring theory and look at most of the special edition changes as setup for what he wanted to do, then yes, intended from the 90's at least.

I had tried watching The Clone Wars, and it was just so juvenile that I could not get into it at all. I had dismissed Rebels altogether for this reason until I had a friend stop by yesterday who brought over a copy of the first season. It is really enjoyable and captures the feel of the first trilogy perfectly. I'm glad to be watching this.  

Yeah, while Clone Wars gets better, it still had me cringing fairly often. Rebels is much truer to feel of the original Star Wars.

The "there is another" sequence wasn't necessarily meant about Leia, it was there to make the audience beloeve that Luke might die, apparently.

According to Gary Kurtz, they were planning for Luke to have a sister but she'd be a new character we wouldn't necessarily meet until Episode VII or VIII (this is when they were still planning the nine films as one story). Lucas deciding that Leia was Luke's sister was one of the things (along with dumping the Wookies for Ewoks and bringing in another Death Star for no damned reason) that caused Kurtz to throw his hands up and leave.

According to Gary Kurtz, they were planning for Luke to have a sister but she'd be a new character we wouldn't necessarily meet until Episode VII or VIII (this is when they were still planning the nine films as one story). Lucas deciding that Leia was Luke's sister was one of the things (along with dumping the Wookies for Ewoks and bringing in another Death Star for no damned reason) that caused Kurtz to throw his hands up and leave.

It's funny how George Lucas allowed like a hundred comics to portray them as lovers before changing his plans... :P

Well I finished the 3 short novels, Weapon of the Jedi, Smugglers Run, and Moving Target. They were all pretty good, and the Prologues/Epilogues have some small connections to The Force Awakens. Nothing major, but interesting nonetheless. I think the authors did a really good job of keeping the OT vibe in them as well. Totally worth a few bucks if you're looking for a quick, fun read.

Archived