If anybody else was in charge...

Cryler

No offense, but I think Quentin Tarantino would be horrible for this series. His movies are filled with too much violence for the sake of showing violence, and he cares more about the overall story more than getting time to see characters develop.

I'd say if we want big names, Peter Jackson would probably do a pretty great job. He's been in the fantasy world, values the source material to a good extent, and did direct and produce the greatest fantasy trilogy of all time. As long as he wouldn't try and overdo it with CGI, like in The Hobbit movies, he'd do well.

... who would you like to have done Game of Thrones? I think it would've been very interesting if someone like Quentin Tarantino was able to do it.

I would have loved to see an animated version, possibly like Ralph Bashki's lord of the rings film. Love that style of filming to death. Going animated also helps overcome some limitations of scale that the show has struggled with, such as Tyrion's first battle, most of Robb's campaign, the Battle for winterfell ect.

I would have loved to see an animated version, possibly like Ralph Bashki's lord of the rings film. Love that style of filming to death. Going animated also helps overcome some limitations of scale that the show has struggled with, such as Tyrion's first battle, most of Robb's campaign, the Battle for winterfell ect.

And if you went animated, the book character descriptions would be so much easier to construct, i.e. the purple Targaryen eyes, Tyrion with all of his deformities, ages of characters, etc.

I'd like to have seen what Bryan Fuller ("Hannibal") could  do with it. Can't wait for "American Gods"! 

Funny because I think Hannibal is way trashier than anything Game of Thrones has ever done, and American Gods is a very weak book, which I was highly disappointed with after hearing such good things. He did however make the quite good Pushing Daisies.

I don't think there are very many good examples of Fantasy in tv or movies that are genuinely good, so I'm going to say whoever made Wolf Hall would maybe get the nod from me. Or a movie director like Chris Nolan, though his movies get lambasted by a certain minority so I'd assume we'd be in the same situation.

No offense, but I think Quentin Tarantino would be horrible for this series. His movies are filled with too much violence for the sake of showing violence, and he cares more about the overall story more than getting time to see characters develop.

I'd say if we want big names, Peter Jackson would probably do a pretty great job. He's been in the fantasy world, values the source material to a good extent, and did direct and produce the greatest fantasy trilogy of all time. As long as he wouldn't try and overdo it with CGI, like in The Hobbit movies, he'd do well.

Oh my :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I know I'm in a minority that hate the LOTR films, but after the Hobbit trilogy (?!) I'm surprised anyone can seriously are he is respectful of the source material. Even in the LOTR trilogy he disregards the source material often, particularly in regards to characters such as Demethor, Faramir, Arwen and Gimli.
And that's before I even go into the hilariously awful changes like the Paths of the Dead, Warg Cliff Plunge, Elves at Helms Deep, the whole Arwen/Elrond debacle (I still don't know what that was supposed to be. Lots of slow talking and mournful looks I guess) and the icing on the cake "Go Home Sam".

I need to go calm down, these films still make me angry now :p

Oh my :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I know I'm in a minority that hate the LOTR films, but after the Hobbit trilogy (?!) I'm surprised anyone can seriously are he is respectful of the source material. Even in the LOTR trilogy he disregards the source material often, particularly in regards to characters such as Demethor, Faramir, Arwen and Gimli.

I think his version of LOTR is as good as we would ever get in a mainstream movie. Fellowship for me is probably the best mainstream movie of the past 15 years, the others I'm a little less keen on. In fact I think its a minor miracle its as good as it is, knowing how many movies get butchered by studios. You can really see his love of the source material, and yet his ability to still turn it into a fun movie that children and adults want to watch, well I still cannot believe it.

You can see the difference with the Hobbit movies, that is what COULD have happened if the studios had paid more attention and given LOTR to someone who just didn't care. The Hobbit movies are mostly abysmal.

Carlson Cuse would be a good choice, I think. I really like what he's done with Bates Motel. And if he had a partner like Cary Fukinaga, the producer/director of True Detective Season 1, we would be dealing with a wholly different look of Westeros, but no less fidelity to the books.

LOTR the films are better than the books, which are far too descriptive, often boring and self indulgent. Tolkien had no major interest in telling fantasy stories, his main interest was in language and philology and he mostly wrote the books to showcase the languages he was creating. That is where he and CS Lewis, fellow Inkling, differed and is why his books are deeper than Lewis' (ie for teenagers) but shallower than GRRMs (for adults).

As for seasons 1-3 and most of 4 DD have done as good an adaptation as could be realistically done for a modern TV series. As for season 5 well I think you would need far more than 10 episodes, closer to 20, esp to introduce so many new characters, and without GRRMs blueprint for much of it then almost no writer would have captured his style and essence perfectly. Remember GRRM often writes clunky and clumsy dialogue, but as he is the originator he gets a pass whereas Bad Pussy gets killed to death, so without GRRM fanboys would always be on the verge of a meltdown every episode.

Regarding a life action adaption I'd go with J. Michael Straczynski. He is not known for adaptions, but his approach to the overarching plots at Babylon 5 by outright planning the whole series to know what to include and what not is the crucial approach the Ds should have taken instead of making shit up as they go along.

Considering another life action adaption is just wishful dreaming so I'd put my money onto an animated adaption. And give it to Studio ufotable with Ei Aoki as the director. The guy fucking knows how to adapt dark stories which strong focus on characters and their development. And ufotable has the budget and animation quality to make something truly magnificient to look at.

Then again, a chimpanzee with half a brain could write a better adaption than the Ds, so I'm kinda open minded to pretty much everyone except them.

[mod] Several posts hidden making personal remarks about the show runners/quoting said posts. They are not above criticism of course, but personal remarks/insults aren't appreciated. Further remarks of that kind will result in warnings/suspensions. [/mod]

Regarding a life action adaption I'd go with J. Michael Straczynski. He is not known for adaptions, but his approach to the overarching plots at Babylon 5 by outright planning the whole series to know what to include and what not is the crucial approach the Ds should have taken instead of making shit up as they go along.

Considering another life action adaption is just wishful dreaming so I'd put my money onto an animated adaption. And give it to Studio ufotable with Ei Aoki as the director. The guy fucking knows how to adapt dark stories which strong focus on characters and their development. And ufotable has the budget and animation quality to make something truly magnificient to look at.

Then again, a chimpanzee with half a brain could write a better adaption than the Ds, so I'm kinda open minded to pretty much everyone except them.

Speaking of Straczynski, have you watched Sense8? Watching that show would lend credence to the idea that at the very least he could capture the characters' personalities and do great character exploration.

Funny how we had 4 seasons of D&D adapting the books without much hating, suddenly they have to adapt the hardest two books which are often criticised for being nothing more than filler and unadaptable, the season isn't great and suddenly they are the devil. Guess that's the Internet for you

This

Speaking of Straczynski, have you watched Sense8? Watching that show would lend credence to the idea that at the very least he could capture the characters' personalities and do great character exploration.

Not yet, but I'm hearing quite alot of good of praise and am definitely planning to do.

Ah, and another studio I would like to throw in: Starz and whoever wrote Da Vinci's Demons. They have similiar tone to HBO and don't shy away from nudity, but I guess they would use the existing characters for that and not make up brothel scenes.

That kind of reaction to Jacksons LOTR does I'd say put a lot of the negative reaction to the show into context. There are certain readers who simply will not accept any kind of significant change to the source material. Whats more these people often confuse an understanding of the mechanics of the story as told in the book with an understanding of story mechanics in general.

The ironic thing is that whilst Tolkien was naturally protective of his own text in terms of publishers messing around with it he did not have the same kind of condescending view many "Tolkien scholars" do and generally referred to LOTR as his attempted at an adventure story rather than "high art".

Very hard to say who else could have done GoT and what form it might have taken as really the series is so unique at this stage, something like Babylon 5 is really the only comparison that's especially close.

Archived