What you don't like about ASoIaF

rayarts

-Like others have mentioned, the ages. The children are 2-3 years to young, all of them. Not only that, but also the perception of ages. Sansa thinks her father should have send Loras instead of Beric to deal with the Mountain because Beric would be to old. Beric is something like 23. I know Sansa is a silly girl at that time, but 23 should be considered young for actual command. That you can even think that is silly.

-Some of the geography/power dynamics seems iffy. That a few rocky islands that are described as miserable can be the foundation of so much  Ironborn power stretches realism. The fabled food supply of the fertile Vale of Arryn always makes me wonder if they do terraced rice fields in the few valleys that they have. 

-Essos does not feel as alive as Westeros does. A bit too over the top and orientalist for me. 

I can't say there's anything I dislike about the main series. I like the sex scenes and the food descriptions. I love how lengthy and detailed it is.

One thing I dislike is all the side projects about the history of the Targaryans and their dragons. That all seems like generic fantasy nonsense to me. 

I can't say there's anything I dislike about the main series. I like the sex scenes and the food descriptions. I love how lengthy and detailed it is.

One thing I dislike is all the side projects about the history of the Targaryans and their dragons. That all seems like generic fantasy nonsense to me. 

i can take historical lore, like twoiaf, all the other side projects, if they offered some form of foreshadowing, or events that would seem to repeat itself (and it still might), i think id appreciate it more

There's only one thing that really bothers me - how did all of this happen in such little time?
Dany was 14 when she got pregnant with Rhaego, and is now fifteen. Is it just me, or would it be impossible to do all that traveling in such short time?Thats the thing with Arya, it's meant to be hard to read. An 9 year old girl having a kill list and killing people is meant to be disturbing, it's not written so people can go "you go Arya". And she's written as if she is older, because how can she still be thinking and acting like a child after witnessing all that she has.
And, AFFC isn't about advancing the plot (well not all of it). That isn't the way it's meant to be read. It's asking the readers to really look all the grief and destruction the plot has caused - which is why it's my favourite ASOIAF book (that and because it has some beautiful passages).

Man, AFFC is a terrible book. There's almost no plot progression!

-Like others have mentioned, the ages. The children are 2-3 years to young, all of them. Not only that, but also the perception of ages. Sansa thinks her father should have send Loras instead of Beric to deal with the Mountain because Beric would be to old. Beric is something like 23. I know Sansa is a silly girl at that time, but 23 should be considered young for actual command. That you can even think that is silly.

-Some of the geography/power dynamics seems iffy. That a few rocky islands that are described as miserable can be the foundation of so much  Ironborn power stretches realism. The fabled food supply of the fertile Vale of Arryn always makes me wonder if they do terraced rice fields in the few valleys that they have. 

-Essos does not feel as alive as Westeros does. A bit too over the top and orientalist for me. 

Basically this. 

I don't have a lot of complaints, though one would probably be some of the POV choices, I think there are a few too many (and I don't find some of them that interesting). The only other thing I can think of is that aFfC and aDwD are geographically split rather than chronologically, I think it would have been better if the storylines from both were intertwined, but that might just be me.

But what happens to Theon, Theon's iron born, Robb, etc is fine? Oberyn's skull literally gets smashed in half.

I don't understand this complaint considering it's basically a Medieval story, not nearly as enlightened and equal as we are today. 

I think both genders have it pretty bad in asoiaf to be fair 

I really don't understand this. You understand that all this is fake, right? It isn't a nod to anything that is happening now or has happened in the past, it's a completely different universe and in no way does it promote violence towards women either.

Couldn't agree more 

Man, AFFC is a terrible book. There's almost no plot progression!

:lol:
Seriously though, if your reading it for action, your not reading it on the level it's asking/expecting of you.
Personally, I would pick books and stories with a sense of melancholy/gloom over books and stories that just go "go go go go go". It's why I hate the show, no consideration about themes, or any of that. Just purely about moving the plot forward.

[emoji38]
Seriously though, if your reading it for action, your not reading it in the level it's asking/expecting of you.
Personally, I would books and stories with a sense of melancholy over books and stories that just go "go go go go go". It's why I hate the show, no consideration about themes, or any of that. Just purely about moving the plot forward.

There's a difference between focusing on themes and world building over plot and then almost completely disregarding plot. ASOS was exciting throughout while also getting Martin's themes across. I mean, there's a reason AFFC is widely considered the worst book in the series. You don't sideline your best and beloved characters for a decade to introduce characters like Arys. So dumb.

(I mean I still enjoyed the book but it was the only one that I felt was a chore to read at times. Jamie's chapters were awesome).

People bitching about what they don't like about ASOIAF.

In all seriousness, the fandom is where I find most of my frustrations.

:rolleyes: hardly any of these "bitchings" are bitching. They're minor complaints. You clearly haven't seen true bitching, if you think this is bitching.

There's a difference between focusing on themes and world building over plot and then almost completely disregarding plot. ASOS was exciting throughout while also getting Martin's themes across. I Mean, there's a reason AFFC is widely considered the worst book in the series. You don't sideline your best and beloved characters for a decade to introduce characters like Arys. So dumb.
(I mean I still enjoyed the book but it was the only one that I felt was a chore to read at times. Jamie's chapters were awesome).

I know. I was talking about the show (who only care about the sucker punches).
Anyway, AFFC didn't discard the plot. It certainly slowed the pace down, but that was because loose ends needed to be tied up, and the aftermath of the devastation that took place in ASoS needed to be shown.
AFFC was (imo) the most beautifully written book in the series. The other books were amazing as well, but AFFC had so much more depth to it (lol I'm starting to sound like an annoying smart-ass)

:rolleyes: hardly any of these "bitchings" are bitching. They're minor complaints. You clearly haven't seen true bitching, if you think this is bitching

Honestly, this thread has been one of the cleanest I've seen. But man oh man, do people on these threads like to complain about the books. I'm not saying there can't be critique. But most complaints I read are superficial and weak, in my opinion. 

I've seen a lot of "bitching" about this series, and I wonder whether anybody actually enjoys ASOIAF. I guess I'm of the opinion that if you make threads complaining about why you don't like a series, I wouldn't consider you a big fan of the series. Maybe it's something you casually enjoy. Why create a profile on a forum dedicated to ASOIAF, if you're just not that into it?

Just my frustrations. My least favorite part of aSoIaF is the fandom.

Honestly, this thread has been one of the cleanest I've seen. But man oh man, do people on these threads like to complain about the books. I'm not saying there can't be critique. But most complaints I read are superficial and weak, in my opinion. 

I've seen a lot of "bitching" about this series, and I wonder whether anybody actually enjoys ASOIAF. I guess I'm of the opinion that if you make threads complaining about why you don't like a series, I wouldn't consider you a big fan of the series. Maybe it's something you casually enjoy. Why create a profile on a forum dedicated to ASOIAF, if you're just not that into it?

Just my frustrations. My least favorite part of aSoIaF is the fandom.

I get what you mean. A couple of months ago, this guy (with D&D as his avatar!) started a "rant and rave about the books without repercussion" thread. Thankfully the mods had the good sense to delete it.

Archived