Is at the moment Drogon big enough?

Daeron III

Big enough for what? They really only need to exist. They are a confirmation that Dany is unmistakeably a Targaryen, a luxury that any other Targaryen claimant doesn't have and thus could be proclaimed a pretender.  

They were never really big enough to win Westerosi castles, or win largescale battles by themselves, and even with the five-year-gap they would probably have been very small. (GRRM didn't even originally plan for Dany to have dragons, I think, she was supposed to have valyrian firemagic or something like that).

Here is my question regarding this...

George originally planned for a 5 year gap. Obviously, the dragons would have grown quite a bit in that time. Will George make the dragons in TWoW as big as they would have been with the gap or will they be smaller than he originally intended?

Their growth does not follow a linear pattern.  At some point in their first few years, they will hit a period of accelerated growth.  Does that give Drogon enough time to reach the size of Balerion?  No.  He will reach adult size by the time Dany makes her way to Westeros.  However, Drogon will not reach the size of Balerion until the end of the long night.  The good news is that he doesn't have to get as big as Balerion.  Dany has more resources to work with than Aegon the Conqueror.  Aegon had very little manpower and his cavalry was probably a joke compared to a Dothraki khalasar. 

Drogon's wingspan was 20 feet in Daznak's Pit, and he has grown even larger by the end of ADwD. By the time Daenerys reaches Westeros (which will take months), he will be larger still.

Will any of the dragons reach the size of Balerion the Black Dread? Of course not. But they will be large enough - and powerful enough - to cause some serious damage, otherwise why even introduce them into the series? Plus Dany will not just be invading with Drogon - she will have other forces, which Aegon lacked.

Here is my question regarding this...

George originally planned for a 5 year gap. Obviously, the dragons would have grown quite a bit in that time. Will George make the dragons in TWoW as big as they would have been with the gap or will they be smaller than he originally intended?

Presumably they will be smaller but will more or less do the same things they would have done had they been five years older. The same is true of the Stark children, I would imagine.

Archived