Angry Got Fan AMA with GRRM.

redeagl

He's already said this multiple times, no matter how much some fans don't want to accept it. For instance, in 2008: "He doesn't have a magic system specifically. Some authors do but too like D&D for him... Magic has to be magic - something that violates law of nature." He contrasts his approach with John W. Campbell, who "treated magic as science... that approach to magic and the aproach in role playing games is...just science, not magic. Magic has to be more mysterious than that. He wants less Campbell and more Lovecraft. It has to be dark stuff we can't fully comprehend."

Sure, the leader of the Others will survive and sit the IT for many years, ruling as a wise and good king. :)

I knew this I was being sarcastic. But I really never noticed the dinosaur bit and am slapping myself for missing it. (I Googled it)

Theories are gettin' crazy with so much time to over-analyze :lol:
Good thing that he's writting the two remaining books simultaneously! With his writting style it makes sense. Hopefully this means a shorter span between them. Cross fingers.
I'd love to read the cut written material, but with so much pressure to release the final books I doubt he'll want to have anything to do with ASOIAF for a looong time, if ever.

Jokes asides, I wonder what the "dinosaur" question was. Because I doubt Martin simply said "btw, there are dinosaurs in my world". Maybe a Bluebeliever was there.

So what's the story behind naming the Raptor blue?

Absolutely none. Kinda the point.

Nonsense. There is no conflict between the Silmarillion and physics; you just need M-theory to make it work. Quantum fluctuations in the single-valued ("eru", in Quenya) maximally symmetric field (ilúvatar) lead to symmetry breaking into a bosonic field with separate quanta ("valar"). If supersymmetry is correct, this will also include a valarino ("melkor") field. If this occurs in 3 dimensions, it kicks off inflation of a 3-brane ("eä"), which not only creates the macroscopic universe, but also leads to excitations of the valar and valarino fields in a way similar to the vibration of a string on a musical instrument. These "musical" vibrations are literally what the world is made of.

A series of further symmetry breakings splits the forces; separating gravity changes a flat world into a spherical one (assuming lambda < 1); separating the W and Z (illuin and ormal) fields means they are no longer carriers of light, but rather of the undetectable (until the 7th age) weak force; separating the gluon is too complicated to explain in non-mathematical terms, but trust me, it's a doozy.

M-theory even accounts for the existence of orcs (although the mathematics are too complex for anyone to yet work out how it actually does so), which Tolkien's standard model did not.

I'd love to read the cut written material, but with so much pressure to release the final books I doubt he'll want to have anything to do with ASOIAF for a looong time, if ever.

He's said a few times that he does want to write other stories in the same world, but at least a century or an equivalent physical distance away from ASoIaF. (Of course D&E and TPaTQ/TRP/F&B are already a century away from ASoIaF; I assume he means a century before that, not just a bunch of stories between TPaTQ and THK.)

Someone mentioned him hinting at the possibility of a followup to TWoIaF and/or some other form of encyclopedic work, but as far as I know nobody ever found the source for that.

I looked on his Twitter page, and saw there was no astronomy system, but not the part about magic. Is this what the magic system was referring to, the astronomy comment, or did I miss a different quote?

"GRRM: THERE IS NO SYSTEM TO THE MAGIC IN WESTEROS"

https://twitter.com/AngryGoTFan/status/637705004275535873

Where you found the astronomy thing?

I looked on his Twitter page, and saw there was no astronomy system, but not the part about magic. Is this what the magic system was referring to, the astronomy comment, or did I miss a different quote?

Who's twitter page? Because GRRM doesn't have one or FB or any social media. He has a blog.

I think she is referring to the discussion on COSMOLOGY we have been having, as it related to ASOIAF, dinosaurs, creationists, big bang theorists, and the Silmarillion.

Cosmology is the study of the creation of the universe, it incorporates physics, astronomy, and revealed theology if that is your slice of bread.

So I can't get the tweet to come up by itself the way you were able to, sorry, but here is the link I used, scroll down, on my settings it says it was done at 7:06pm:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AngryGoTFan/tweets

Archived