Angry Got Fan AMA with GRRM.

redeagl

I am sorry but IF GRRM attitude was correctly represented by this guy on twitter, than he comes off as a huge baby.  Why does he go to a public appearance and bash HBO? Be a professional.  He sold the rights to them. Obviously this stuff would happen.  I don't want to hear him complain every few months about the poor business decision he made when he gave away rights to some of his creative material.  
Besides the dinosaur, we have heard pretty much everything he said over and over and over.  (cut characters on HBO, writing sytle, etc.)  

Sounds like Tyrion in going across Essos, "Where do the whores go?"

I don't see him "bashing" the show. He expresses disappointment about budgetary constraints. Fair enough, that is always going to be a problem because we can always imagine things in ways that are impossible/impractical to film. It isn't necessarily a criticism. (I am sceptical of the way AGoTF presented this bit). He says Tyrion on the show and Tyrion in the books are different. This is true, I don't see any problem saying so. And he is not "perfectly happy" with the show. Again, not problematic. Even the biggest fans of the show (or books for that matter) are not going to be "perfectly happy". He is hardly being unprofessional in what he is saying there. Nothing in what he says comes across as him trying to "bash HBO")

ok, this turned out to be long

(said to Victarion, no one, ever...)

Are these tweets true at least? I hope this means TWOW could be released a little before or along with the s6 premiere.w or why George would like it.

This is some pretty good info! Don't know how accurate it is, tho.

AGF doesn't lie, as I said before. But he definitely gets passionate. GRRM could have said "I'm displeased with some things from the show" and he understood as "AISJDIAJSDASD IA HATE THE SHOW KILL THEM ALL AND BATH WITH THEIR BLAAAHD!".

This is for those who believe that Tyrion will be a hero to save the world.

There are many subtle clues pointing that Tyrion is turning into a monster.

Yes i think it's clear that Tyrion is turning into a villan. (He will still be one of my favs.)

I wouldn't use the world "villain". He's turning dark but at the end of Dance and the few snippets of tWoW, he seems to have recovered a bit of his humanity.

And also most of the theories, most can mean 51% of them. Of course most are erroneous, there are several theories on who, say, Daario is, only one of them can be true. There are plain stupid or troll theories. Also lots of theories are much closer to hypotheses then to theories, good deal of those will not be true, it's only rational.

Those theories are obviously bull (HS=HR, those kind). But I think he meant the sane ones, those who analyse words, codes, etc. We're seeing things; but despite they're fun, they're nothing.

It is a conformation because someone will sit on it.(He could be lying of course.)

Not lying, but just a figurative way to say that he knows who will be the last ruler. Although, he could have said exactly that.

Which means, btw, that we will have a ruler. This put down all of the "democracy/independence" theories, thank you. 

Why did you kill the HYPE :frown5:  :crying:  :crying:  :bawl:  ???

ho ho ho... House Connington: We Kill your Fun.  

Ready for people to misinterpret what GRRM said about "there is enough cut written material for an entire other book" as there is going to be an 8th ASOIAF novel.

I swear I've read that.

He saw a turtle, a giant one, IIRC and that is supposed to mean a blessing from the SL

I wonder if we will ever see the SL in person.Consedring the upcoming Greyscale outbreak and his connection to the Greyscale.

I doubt there will be a GS outbreak, but I'm sure the turtle means something. I mean, only one person didn't see it and that one person got sick.

He was in need of the money? I mean yes the novels are a financial success, but not as near as the show, GRRM is drowning in Game of Thrones dollars..

And that's fine, my point is don't bite the hand that feeds you. It's unprofessional, like the other poster said.

<snip>

we will have a ruler. This put down all of the "democracy/independence" theories, thank you. 

I doubt there will be a GS outbreak, but I'm sure the turtle means something. I mean, only one person didn't see it and that one person got sick.

1. Yes I always thought that going from a monarchy to democracy in one generation was impossible, to say the least

2. Connigton house motto!

3. I don't know how I was so blind! I didn't notice that JonCon was the only one that missed that turtle, shit, I will have to do a Tyrion Re-read

Edit:

And that's fine, my point is don't bite the hand that feeds you. It's unprofessional, like the other poster said.

I guess you have a point, but as other user stated, we can hardly say that he bashed the show, a little bit of criticisms seems healthy, but in regards to the " HBO is forcing me to go to the emmy" I completely agree, it was unnecessary

I am sorry but IF GRRM attitude was correctly represented by this guy on twitter, than he comes off as a huge baby.

While AGF tends to exaggerate a bit, GRRM's attitude is not new. We've seen his discontent with the show in many interviews and even his own blog, although not with words. It's there for anyone who wants to read it with open eyes.

And, rights sold or not, there is still a matter of being respectful. Jackson has LotR rights: would it be ok. for him to make an orgy with the elves? Showing someone being raped by an orc? Of course not. Because those are things Tolkien didn't include in his books for one reason.

The fact Martin includes violence in his books is not the same as him being ok. with people putting his character in violent situations. He has literally said that in an older interview: "my characters aren't there to be raped".

I think he has EVERY right in the world to be mad, specially when we also see many other works adapted in which the author works closely with writers and producers in order to maintain the general topics and themes of the books despite the changes (Outlander, Wayward Pines)

Preston Jacobs is a good example of what George means with his talk on theories.

:agree:

However you could say he did meet the SL in a vision off-screen, made a deal to pass the greyscale on Jon Connington, and the memory of the meeting was erased after he woke up.

SO IT'S ALL TYRION'S FAULT THAT CONNINGTON IS SICK???

WHAT A BITCH!

Kill him! with fire!!!

George doesn't bash the show in public. When I met him in June he wholeheartedly admitted repeatedly that the HBO Shae was a much better character than his version. I had to try to defend his Shae which was sort of awkward because we were hanging out with Sibel.

But the assumption that George is actually happy with the last season, and how their 'adapted' Dorne, Shireen, Stannis, and Barristan Selmy makes no sense. The average book reader doesn't find that great, it is no stretch to conclude that the author doesn't approve of that, either. A faithful adaptation simply doesn't look like that. 

Let's not turn this into a book/show discussion but

HBO doesn't feed GRRM. His books do. He's been writing books for 30 years: that's what has made him famous and rich.

It's HBO the one who is profiting from his work.

I dunno what's the whole "sad puppies" thing (nor I want to know) but if you think GRRM is bashing the show... well... you haven't see him actually bashing something :dunno:

It is the equivalent of Dany hate threads in this forum with no mods to lock them.

ok, this turned out to be long

(said to Victarion, no one, ever...)

AGF doesn't lie, as I said before. But he definitely gets passionate. GRRM could have said "I'm displeased with some things from the show" and he understood as "AISJDIAJSDASD IA HATE THE SHOW KILL THEM ALL AND BATH WITH THEIR BLAAAHD!".

I wouldn't use the world "villain". He's turning dark but at the end of Dance and the few snippets of tWoW, he seems to have recovered a bit of his humanity.

Those theories are obviously bull (HS=HR, those kind). But I think he meant the sane ones, those who analyse words, codes, etc. We're seeing things; but despite they're fun, they're nothing.

Not lying, but just a figurative way to say that he knows who will be the last ruler. Although, he could have said exactly that.

Which means, btw, that we will have a ruler. This put down all of the "democracy/independence" theories, thank you. 

I swear I've read that.

GRRM had said that GS will be very important in the future and even the show got it's chrachters with it so it must be building for something huge .

• "Not every detail is a clue. Most of your theories are erroneous. They are just words."

• There are dinosaurs in the ASOIAF world

These two sentences alone make me happier than I have ever thought possible.

Velociraptor in braavos confirmed!

All those bogus crackpot theories; denied!

While AGF tends to exaggerate a bit, GRRM's attitude is not new. We've seen his discontent with the show in many interviews and even his own blog, although not with words. It's there for anyone who wants to read it with open eyes.

And, rights sold or not, there is still a matter of being respectful. Jackson has LotR rights: would it be ok. for him to make an orgy with the elves? Showing someone being raped by an orc? Of course not. Because those are things Tolkien didn't include in his books for one reason.

The fact Martin includes violence in his books is not the same as him being ok. with people putting his character in violent situations. He has literally said that in an older interview: "my characters aren't there to be raped".

I think he has EVERY right in the world to be mad, specially when we also see many other works adapted in which the author works closely with writers and producers in order to maintain the general topics and themes of the books despite the changes (Outlander, Wayward Pines)

:agree:

SO IT'S ALL TYRION'S FAULT THAT CONNINGTON IS SICK???

WHAT A BITCH!

Kill him! with fire!!!

Didn't GRRM rape Jeyne Pool ? Sansa tooke her plot so how can she be not raped ?

TheLightning Lord, on 30 Aug 2015 - 8:46 PM, said:

Nice to know we will have more of Aegon, Stannis and Lady Stoneheart

Not all the chrachters so don't get your hopes very high.

George doesn't bash the show in public. When I met him in June he wholeheartedly admitted repeatedly that the HBO Shae was a much better character than his version. I had to try to defend his Shae which was sort of awkward because we were hanging out with Sibel.

But the assumption that George is actually happy with the last season, and how their 'adapted' Dorne, Shireen, Stannis, and Barristan Selmy makes no sense. The average book reader doesn't find that great, it is no stretch to conclude that the author doesn't approve of that, either. A faithful adaptation simply doesn't look like that. 

You are a lucky one got two birds down with one stone.

Let's not turn this into a book/show discussion but

HBO doesn't feed GRRM. His books do. He's been writing books for 30 years: that's what has made him famous and rich.

It's HBO the one who is profiting from his work.

You are right his books do. And his books got alot of sales because of the show. But the books are better.

The stuff he endorses is widely accepted, when he talks about stuff that is crackpot he is very open about the fact that it is a fringe belief and the evidence isn't particularly compelling.

:agree:  :agree:  :agree:

It can be important without having an outbreak. There are a few hints of it being related to the Others (like Duck's tale).

And the Others is coming to invade so why don't the GS make it's invation too ? I think it will be very cool if it happened,

Archived