Thoughts on the new Gambit (X-Men) Solo Movie

The Anti-Targ

Rather an odd character to wheel out for a solo run givin he's never been in the main X-Men roster in the previous movies. If I recall correctly he got a run in X-2 but did not really make a huge impression.

I wasn't even aware this was a thing until I saw the announcement for the female lead http://deadline.com/2015/08/lea-seydoux-gambit-channing-tatum-james-bond-1201504941/

Apparently Channing Tatum is Gambit. Gambit never struck me as the muscle-bound hunk type. So I wonder if casting Channing Tatum is a bad sign.

This could be an inspired move, or it could be a decision made by the people who green-lit the F4 reboot and destined to put a dent in the good vibes the last couple of X-Men movies have created.

I woulda thought a Storm solo movie would be a better prospect. But then that would be a solo movie based around a female character, and we simply can't have that. 

If possible I'd rather leave this as its own thread. If we can have a MCU thread but also threads about specific movies in the MCU, then we should be able to do the same with X-Men. If there's a lack of interest specifically in Gambit then this thread will soon disappear to the back pages of the forum.

Nonsensical choice for a solo movie. There is nothing interesting enough about this character to warrant having an entire movie devoted to him.

And I agree that a Storm solo movie would have been so much better, but you'd have much less people show up for a movie about a female black superhero than you would for boring ass Gambit.

There aren't many X-characters that are interesting enough to have an entire movie solely devoted to them. With the exception of Wolverine and Magneto, nobody has a great catalogue of solo stuff to pull from.

Yeah, X-men has mostly always been about the team game not the solo game.

I hope Fox didn't go to Channing Tatum and say "We want you to be an X-Man, how much do you want and who do you want to be? And by the way, you can have a solo movie if you want."

Nonsensical choice for a solo movie. There is nothing interesting enough about this character to warrant having an entire movie devoted to him.

And I agree that a Storm solo movie would have been so much better, but you'd have much less people show up for a movie about a female black superhero than you would for boring ass Gambit.

There aren't many X-characters that are interesting enough to have an entire movie solely devoted to them. With the exception of Wolverine and Magneto, nobody has a great catalogue of solo stuff to pull from.

Actually, most of the major ones could probably pull off a good movie, but not a good franchise, which is what Fox wants.

The problem isn't that they aren't interesting enough, is that they are created and developed to be team characters (unlike the Avengers), and also most of them join the team as teenagers or early 20's and have few back story outside the team. There's only so much times you can create an excuse or genuine motive for them to simply not call the X-men to deal with the problem.

Gambit would be in theory an exception to this, but everything about his background and stories has just been lame, and he ended up becoming synonymous with what was wrong in the 90's, and has never been in the main X-men team since.

Archived