RIP Wes Craven

Hutch

I read something that said without Wes Craven and his Nightmare on Elm Street movies, we never would have gotten the LOTR movies. New Line had to leverage just about everything the lucrative Nightmare movies earned them in order to make the LOTR movies, which were considered a big risk at the time.

RIP, Mr. Craven. Thank you for your fun films, and the great ones that they made possible.

This is terrible. Craven was one of my favourite directors and Scream was actually the film that got me interested in movies as a craft and art-form more than just a few hours of entertainment. Something that now that I think about it has probably a somewhat significant impact on the direction of my life, as cheesy as it might sound.

So Rest In Peace Mr.Craven and thanks for all the good movies.

Damn, this sucks. The man was indeed a legend and (along with Carpenter, Hooper and Romero) one of a very few people who may rightfully be credited with bringing horror movies into the modern age.  Last House on the Left, The Hills Have Eyes, A Nightmare on Elm St., and Scream all qualify as horror film canon (and personally, I believe his vastly underrated 'New Nightmare' does as well). But in addition to those classic works, there are also a number of films deserving of honorable mention that rank slightly beneath that hallowed first tier: Deadly Blessing, The Serpent and the Rainbow, The People Under the Stairs, Scream 2, and Red Eye. And if you add in his writing contribution for A Nightmare on Elm St. 3: The Dream Warriors, for which he came up with the story and wrote the screenplay, that brings the total up to an even ten horror films for which every serious horror film fan has reason to give thanks to Wes Craven. 

Truly, when it comes to horror filmmakers, it may be said: We shall never see his like again...and now his watch is ended.   :crying: 

Archived