I lost a role model and a friend.

Elder Sister

I was sitting at a work dinner this past week when I got multiple texts about a man in my church, and his unexpected death. I had to sit there and continue on with the dinner as if nothing was wrong.

He was 75 years old, a member of my church, was constantly doing for others, the most quiet, humble, amazing man. He talked to me about beekeeping constantly. He had been a beekeeper most of his life, and was always eager to share information and funny stories. He was the type of man who took out the garbage every week at our church and no one ever knew he did this; he just did it. That, and a million other things pretty much summed up the kind of person he was.

My heart hurts for his family; in particular, his wife. Her health is not good. And she is basically exactly like him; two years ago, when she was still able to, she made me a ton of strawberry fig preserves. They are delicious.

I guess I'm sad, not just because I lost a friend and a role model, but because people like him are a dying breed, it seems. I hope I'm wrong. But I know for myself, I'm selfish as hell a lot of the time. But I'm going to try extra hard to do a better job with this. I'm sitting here with tears running down my face thinking of m friend and what an awesome person he was. I'm going to try to be more like him.

:grouphug: I'm sorry for your loss.

I take to heart what you've said though as I know the type of person you speak of and it's the type of person I want to be. I fall short much of the time but I will always keep trying.

So sorry for your loss ES. :grouphug: What's the phrase, "no-one is truly dead while their name is still spoken" - maybe it's some comfort to know that part of this guy will live on in the work you do with your bees.

who knows what role models your friend had, who he looked up to, who he tried to be as good as

I'm glad you knew such a super person and sorry you've lost him.  Take care Elder Sister

:grouphug:

Sometimes I too think that people such as your friend are a dying breed. It seems as though too many people now are concerned more with what's in it for them. Or maybe the world just overwhelms us in a way these old folks didn't experience.

Who knows.

Sending you a non-creepy Internet hug -- :grouphug:

Archived