Bubonicon update (no show spoilers/discussion)

JonCon's Red Beard

http://grrm.livejournal.com/440213.html?thread=22477973#t22477973

Anyone see the reply to that comment? Sorry if it's been mentioned.

"If I did, I misspoke" seems that he's not even sure what he said.

Those words are very easy to misinterpret. Many take them as he's writing both books at the same time to practically have them released one after the other. But that's how he often writes: he wrote Feast by having Dance chapters, and when he was writing Dance, he had Dreams chapters already. He's doing the same. He's writing Winds and also has some Dream chapters too, not because he's writing the book but due to the pacing.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/440213.html?thread=22477973#t22477973

Anyone see the reply to that comment? Sorry if it's been mentioned.

Out of interest, why the hell did anyone take any of these comments as gospel? They were very obviously distorted and exaggerated to the point of being redundant. A guy who hates the show and writes in all capitals comes up with 'he's not happy with the show'........seriously?

He's almost certainly working as he always has: a bulk of chapters for one character all at once. Sometimes they end up being bumped to the next book, sometimes they end up getting rewritten or scrapped as other characters get written and conflict with events already written.

I don't think there's a single one of these tweets that sounds reliable enough to bother discussing them.

Out of interest, why the hell did anyone take any of these comments as gospel? They were very obviously distorted and exaggerated to the point of being redundant. A guy who hates the show and writes in all capitals comes up with 'he's not happy with the show'........seriously?

I don't think anybody here did take them as gospel.  JCRB mentioned any type of credibility problems he might have when she first posted the comments.  Since then, nobody here has even talked about his views on the show, thankfully.  Maybe they are all talking about it on the show forum, but I don't go there.  Tis verboten. 

Not every detail is a clue...lol, no shit. I love the theories people post, folks like Bryndenfish and others are fantastically well developed and so much fun to read.

George doesn't not have the imagination of the millions of people who read his books!

You see this in game development, particularly with MMOs, a team of one hundred devs builds an MMO, over the course of years, that tens of thousands of people rip apart in hours, finding exploits galore, except they aren't really exploits, the devs call them that because they are assholes.

There was a situation I remember well, Swotor, chests respawned on a timer, and you could reliably run around gather these chests, or just change instances whatever, become super rich super quick. EXPLOIT. You designed it that way morons, Guild Wars never complained about this.

George is one man, some of the theories I've seen floated around here... I mean forget the Heresy threads, George would have to have history, anthropology and sociology PHDs to come up with this stuff, and it would take him years. Well, okay, he does take years, but I don't that's because he's doing research on ancient Africa or whatever the hell else we all come up with.

Ahhh. Well, that's only one disproven quote on the book forum. Out of how many?

Well most of what was said has been said by Martin before, like how much has been cut, but when you read a full article about you find out it doesn't bother him and that understands it's medium related. Tyrion not being like Tyrion, he has talked about that before, but not as a big deal he thinks Dink has done a good job. Again the different medium is going to translate differently. He worked in TV he understand TV, he knows how things work.

Well most of what was said has been said by Martin before, like how much has been cut, but when you read a full article about you find out it doesn't bother him and that understands it's medium related. Tyrion not being like Tyrion, he has talked about that before, but not as a big deal he thinks Dink has done a good job. Again the different medium is going to translate differently. He worked in TV he understand TV, he knows how things work.

That's all show related stuff. As many have mentioned, including me, AngryGOTfan has a particular take on the show that probably causes some bias. Everyone who has read him would know, and hopefully take info with grain of salt.

There is now a current thread discussing the fact Martin has said some characters who have died from the show might survive until the end of the books. It's in the show subforum. The link is in the OP.

We aren't discussing what Martin thinks of the show. I think mostly of us are very aware, even without AGF's tweets.

Also, Martin's comment in his blog seems like he doesn't even remember very well what he said :dunno:

Archived