Will Jon ride a ice dragon?

DaSh!t

On three occasions in ASOS and three in aDwD, Jon mentions the Ice Dragon and we all know GRRM loves his foreshadowing.

There are 11 occurrence total about the ice dragon being mentioned.

Series Book Chapter  Chapter   Name  Chapter POV    Occurrence QuoteFirst Occurrence Only ASOIAF ACOK 35 Bran V Bran Stark 1 Look for the ICE DRAGON, and chase the blue star in the rider's eye." ASOIAF ASOS 24 Bran II Bran Stark 1 When they lost their way, as happened once or twice, they need only wait for a clear cold night when the clouds did not intrude, and look up in the sky for the ICE DRAGON. ASOIAF ASOS 26 Jon IV Jon Snow 1 Maester Luwin had taught him his stars as a boy in Winterfell; he had learned the names of the twelve houses of heaven and the rulers of each; he could find the seven wanderers sacred to the Faith; he was old friends with the ICE DRAGON, the Shadowcat, the Moonmaid, and the Sword of the Morning. ASOIAF ASOS 41 Jon VI Jon Snow 1 Jon searched the sky until he found the ICE DRAGON, then turned the mare north for the Wall and Castle Black. ASOIAF ASOS 46 Samwell III Samwell Tarly 1 By day he took directions from the sun, and on clear nights they could follow the ICE DRAGON's tail, though they hadn't traveled much by night since the second horse had died. ASOIAF ASOS 63 Davos VI Davos Seaworth 1 The clouds hid most of the ICE DRAGON, all but the bright blue eye that marked due north. ASOIAF ASOS 64 Jon IX Jon Snow 1 it felt like walking down the gullet of an ICE DRAGON. ASOIAF ADWD 35 Jon VII Jon Snow 1 The wind was gusting, cold as the breath of the ICE DRAGON in the tales Old Nan had told when Jon was a boy. ASOIAF ADWD 39 Jon VIII Jon Snow 1 The road beneath the Wall was as dark and cold as the belly of an ICE DRAGON and as twisty as a serpent. ASOIAF ADWD 49 Jon X Jon Snow 1 The snowfall was light today, a thin scattering of flakes dancing in the air, but the wind was blowing from the east along the Wall, cold as the breath of the ICE DRAGON in the tales Old Nan used to tell. D&E DE 2 The Sworn Sword Duncan The Tall 1 But there were clouds to the north, and the blue eye of the ICE DRAGON was lost to him, the blue eye that pointed north.

In the Ice Dragon book, after defeating the Fire Dragons, the Ice Dragon turns into a pond of cold water. Is the water (ice dragons pond) at the godswood in Winterfell?

Im not convenced Jon is Azor Ahai because Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone. Ive always believed this was meant for Dany being reborn as Azor Ahai when she woke her dragons from stone using khal drogo funeral pyre.

Will Jon ride a ice dragon instead of a fire dragon?? Will his ice dragon fight the fire dragons of Danys?? (after Danys dragons kill the Others)

All thoughts are welcome!!

imo, Jon is going to ride one of the three dragons. The ice dragon would be awesome, but there's three living dragons out there and two of them need riders. Also, there's a good chance the ice dragon is just a story, which I believe. 

Agree with you, Azor Ahai is Dany not Jon. Jon is TPTWP, it is known. 

imo, Jon is going to ride one of the three dragons. The ice dragon would be awesome, but there's three living dragons out there and two of them need riders. Also, there's a good chance the ice dragon is just a story, which I believe. 

AA can't be Dany, it is known.

You've brought up the constellation, the ice dragon, which doesn't give credence to the living possibility of an ice dragon. They're stories from thousand of years ago, not centuries, as well. Maybe ice dragons once existed, but I don't think they exist any more. I expect if they did, fire dragons wiped them out when the Long Night occurred. Another way the "good" side won. 

Jon is TPTWP for the Others.  The Starks have Other magic in their blood, they're the Kings of Winter.  Having the moniker is a threat after The Night, that's like introducing Truman as President of Nukes.  Jon has blood to withstand cold and to command a dragon, he's their Neo if they can turn him.  He could turn a dragon of Dany's into an ice dragon.

Giants are said to be blood thirsty in Old Nan's tales but Jon notes they are vegetarians.  

Blood Thirst is not that you drink blood or eat meat. It can also have something to do that you like to battle and kill men to see the blood. Then you are also classified as bloodthirsty. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think if there is an Ice Dragon it may turn out to be a person, rather than an actual dragon.  Targaryens are regularly referred to as dragons, so for the 'ice' element, I'm thinking possibly Jon if he becomes one of the Others, or maybe Bloodraven (although he's kinda busy being a tree). 

In the World of Ice and Fire book, there were references to an ice dragon and there have even been some theories that an ice dragon either helped construct The Wall (id imagine it breathed ice rather than fire) or that one is buried in The Wall.

But, since there has been nothing in the way of an actual ice dragon appearance really mentioned at all in the ASOIAF literature aside from a constellation named "The Ice Dragon" and some childrens stories told by Old Nan, I don't expect one to suddenly pop up in the final 2 books.  Makes for poor writing IMO.

I do hope we get some extra background on the mysticism surrounding The Wall and The Others, but I don't foresee an actual new magical beast arriving to tangle with or against Dany's dragons, which have been the center of her story since book 1.

I liked the idea of ice dragons in the wall, that was a cool one. If the Horn of Joramun destroys it and the dragons inside it are released ...

Or perhaps the Horn of Joramun is a taming horn similar to the one Euron has, and it works to tame an Ice Dragon.   :idea:

I disagree about Dany being Azor Ahai, but agree that Jon is not. IMO, the three dragons riders will be a Targ (Dany), TPTWP (Jon) and Azor Ahai (Davos). Together, those three Dragons will be Lightbringer.  

I would love the idea of Jon riding an ice dragon. That would really be cool because everyone expect him (including myself) to ride a dragon of Daenerys. But the icedragon will be on the side of the others not the Human side. Which could only mean that Jon will be against Humanity to, which I don't believe (although it would be awesome writing). The Saviour that Rhaeger tried to bring to life, turns out to be the doom of humanity. That would literally make him a Bastard 😂 (That would be Perfect writing).
But I doubt that that will ever Happen. But I do believe that Ice Dragon(s) will take Part on the war to come. Thats why Daenerys has her Dragons. One for her (TPtwP), one for Jon (Azor Ahai) and one for Bran (The Last Hero).

• 1 month later...

the pond in winterfell is definitely the pond from the Ice Dragon story...eventually it's going to make an appearance and Bran is going to warg that big blue bastard...I also think he will then use the ice dragon to rebuild the wall after the battle with the others, just like I believe the original Bran the Builder did.

On three occasions in ASOS and three in aDwD, Jon mentions the Ice Dragon and we all know GRRM loves his foreshadowing.

There are 11 occurrence total about the ice dragon being mentioned.

Series Book Chapter Chapter Name Chapter POV Occurrence Quote

First Occurrence Only

ASOIAF ACOK 35 Bran V Bran Stark 1 Look for the

ICE DRAGON

, and chase the blue star in the rider's eye." ASOIAF ASOS 24 Bran II Bran Stark 1 When they lost their way, as happened once or twice, they need only wait for a clear cold night when the clouds did not intrude, and look up in the sky for the

ICE DRAGON

. ASOIAF ASOS 26 Jon IV Jon Snow 1 Maester Luwin had taught him his stars as a boy in Winterfell; he had learned the names of the twelve houses of heaven and the rulers of each; he could find the seven wanderers sacred to the Faith; he was old friends with the

ICE DRAGON

, the Shadowcat, the Moonmaid, and the Sword of the Morning. ASOIAF ASOS 41 Jon VI Jon Snow 1 Jon searched the sky until he found the

ICE DRAGON

, then turned the mare north for the Wall and Castle Black. ASOIAF ASOS 46 Samwell III Samwell Tarly 1 By day he took directions from the sun, and on clear nights they could follow the

ICE DRAGON

's tail, though they hadn't traveled much by night since the second horse had died. ASOIAF ASOS 63 Davos VI Davos Seaworth 1 The clouds hid most of the

ICE DRAGON

, all but the bright blue eye that marked due north. ASOIAF ASOS 64 Jon IX Jon Snow 1 it felt like walking down the gullet of an

ICE DRAGON

. ASOIAF ADWD 35 Jon VII Jon Snow 1 The wind was gusting, cold as the breath of the

ICE DRAGON

in the tales Old Nan had told when Jon was a boy. ASOIAF ADWD 39 Jon VIII Jon Snow 1 The road beneath the Wall was as dark and cold as the belly of an

ICE DRAGON

and as twisty as a serpent. ASOIAF ADWD 49 Jon X Jon Snow 1 The snowfall was light today, a thin scattering of flakes dancing in the air, but the wind was blowing from the east along the Wall, cold as the breath of the

ICE DRAGON

in the tales Old Nan used to tell. D

ICE DRAGON

was lost to him, the blue eye that pointed north.

In the Ice Dragon book, after defeating the Fire Dragons, the Ice Dragon turns into a pond of cold water. Is the water (ice dragons pond) at the godswood in Winterfell?

Im not convenced Jon is Azor Ahai because Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt to wake dragons out of stone. Ive always believed this was meant for Dany being reborn as Azor Ahai when she woke her dragons from stone using khal drogo funeral pyre.

Will Jon ride a ice dragon instead of a fire dragon?? Will his ice dragon fight the fire dragons of Danys?? (after Danys dragons kill the Others)

All thoughts are welcome!!

Jon is the  Ice dragon. He is the child of Rhaegar and Lyanna, Fire and ice, Dragons and winter. 

The Ice Dragon ( Jon ) may ride a fire dragon.

Bingo

Archived