The Riverlands Web V.7

Booknerd2

Actually. It just occurred to me. We know about the ear and some other things with Stranger…but what about the other altercations that surely happened on the Isle that we do not know about. Lol. Trying to count in my head now...

Actually. It just occurred to me. We know about the ear and some other things with Stranger…but what about the other altercations that surely happened on the Isle that we do not know about. Lol. Trying to count in my head now...

Why do you think they had to lock up our wild stallion? He was taking out the brothers one injury at a time.

He kicked the plow into the Trident.  I was thinking about the animals speaking for Sandor at the Q(R)I the other day and it looks like this:

Sandor....................................Stranger.......................................Dog

Novice of silent holy order    bellowing his head off      
Monks celibate                     fighting off castration
digging graves, kitchen duty    refusing farm work
isolated and healing                                                                   bored

For each aspect of Sandor on the Q(R)I, the animals tell the tale.   Sandor will be back, and Stranger will be ready.

Riverlands Ruminations:

Some smaller stuff from time to time…

A little short drabble about Brienne, Gendry, the cameo in 4, and the elephant bull in the room question that keeps hovering. When the hell does this guy find out who he is?

The question I have asked myself for years all revolves around why does it keep going back to this throughout the series? Gendry’s background and also Brienne’s almost old school, soap opera dramatic attempts to tell this guy who he is. Why is it brought up in word, thought, and deed from multiple characters? One can say he won't factor at all, or will just be a smith, or ride off into the sunset into Nowhereville after he crosses from Nobodyland.  Which is fine. But I can’t get behind it. It doesn’t jive for me when the guy who has been a focus, or the focus of main characters bringing the issue up, and had entirely too much page time with Arya. Gendry was Ned's focus for a bit, Cersei's, who was literally trying to find him, Arya's certainly, the BWB’s, and when we last left off, now Brienne. Uh, doesn't that kind of make him a bit important? And I can’t forget to keep in back of my mind the people that know or know of him that are still alive. Varys, Tobho, Uncle Stannis, etc., and I am still keeping an eye on Thoros, who was buddies with Robert.

I can’t shake it. I mean, it can't be for nothing. If it’s for nothing, would that much time be spent on a character? I add up all his time with Arya and without her with others. Its remarkable and up for consideration. How about the curious case of the book 4 cameo set-up out of nowhere? Did I require (need) multiple pages of a pissed off and changed Gendry? Also, with this stuff: Brienne trying to tell him and then it gets foiled, bungled, and builds tension.  It’s dangled tantalizingly in front of us when you just wish she was able to blurt it out already. Like I’m reading and yell to nobody else on my couch, “Out with it, already, come on!” Timing is the issue. Of that I’m pretty positive.

Another thing: Why have him making a sword? The hammer has taken precedence before this and how. Another link in how strong his resemblance to Robert is, his identity, and always a reminder that he liked his skill and vocation, and we get several instances of confirmation that he is damn good too and has potential. To what end or purpose? If it means zilch, maybe just have him in that particular scene merely hammering away absent-minded at nothing even worth mentioning, like a breastplate for a BWB extra that is never named, or fixing a helm or a nick or something stupid. Or hey, Brienne, just talk to him at the table or outside and let’s be done with it. We see him in his element and with what he does and is known for, and away from people. Maybe it builds suspense because she was almost able to tell him before the oh-so-perfect-golden-I-could-still-kick-myself-from-anticipating-it-opportunity got yanked away from us abruptly. Thanks a lot, Rorge and Biter. Really, thanks. I was so disappointed it didn’t go down. It was like when your favorite sports team is that close to scoring and something happens, and then it doesn’t happen.

I noticed too that many eventful things that happen to Gendry happen while he is in a smithy, in his element: Stannis’s visit with Jon Arryn, Ned’s visit, the acorn dress scene is out of KL, but in a smithy. And he never got rusty, no pun intended. Gendry still got to practice at Harrenhal and it continued right into his BWB time.

I mean, Brienne was even given the cliche soap opera fever/delirium hospital bed scene, which I won’t go into because I’ve brought it up already on Rethinking Romance. But this is how I pictured it, when I read it in frustration and slapped a palm to my forehead:

Must tell…Must tell Gendry….my cheek is half off my face….must speak to Gendry. Now. All we need is a General Hospital sign hanging nearby. Next to the sign that Brienne pinned up that reads: “Pysch! Thought I was going to spill the beans again, didn’t you? Ha!”

Brienne: And I didn’t tell Thoros either or Jaime Or Uncat. Double, triple, quadruple psych, suckers!

Now, a bit more about Brienne:

Some stuff I considered while pondering bull in the rooms scenarios: Maybe, just maybe, it is tied to her lingering feelings, very strong, that she should have done more for Renly. When she looks at Gendry and the Renly thing popped again, I was like. Oh… well, now this isn't getting swept under the damn carpet. Come hell or high water or wights, she is going to unleash this info somehow. This is going to pick up speed eventually. She is Tenacious B afterall.  And she was wise enough to attempt to tell him alone, before, again to build tension. Plus I think she is damn smart and wants him to know first and might have considered that it may not be wise or safe for him to blurt it out in front of anyone else. Then Rorge and Biter show up and her desire to tell him is unceremoniously interrupted. The mic is dropped abruptly. Brienne getting attacked also prolongs the suspense and the seemingly inevitable task of telling Gendry that she took on. Totally self-imposed, just another task she took on, among many. Nobody assigned this one to her, or reminded her that she swore an oath to do this either this time around.

Earlier in the series, Biter and Rorge too bothered Arya. They were always a looming black cloud during their travels with Yoren. I nearly developed an ulcer from worrying on my first read. Every time I started a new chapter I just prayed those two weirdos didn’t try to hurt not just Arya, but anyone in the pack. And we get a little foreshadowing. Gendry takes notice and warns Arya to leave them be early on. Love that he takes care of it later, or at least one. And defends Brienne in the process. You know, the person that is just dying to tell him who he really is. Ned had met him and he ends up protecting and befriending his daughter. Gendry ends up with Ned’s wife, or, er, whatever Uncat currently is. But she is still Arya, his good buddy’s mom.

Aw, come on now…I'm not the brightest bulb that ever existed, no Einstein, but for chrissakes…The overlap, the coincidences in totality, and the converging life paths….well, it’s just too much for me, frankly.

In what universe is all that getting dropped? How? Ok, in this author’s world I know it’s possible, but this is a lot of overlap and other stuff that sticks out. Really, it is. With so many multiple cliffhangers and sticking points. It has been sporadically and consistently brought up. Almost like the message is: Hey, BRienne ain't letting it rest. Maybe neither should you? We also know how stubborn and determined Brienne is with everything. If she isn't going to let it drop, then I’m holding out that it will appear in the book again. If she won’t drop it, than knowing her character, I can’t either. She may be the one pulling Gendry back onto the pages in a way. She already did in book 4 in a way. So it sort of follows that we will find out more about this guy, he will find out who he is, and we see what he does with that information going forward. Also, I’d bet that we see him get told or however the hell it is revealed to him.

Unwritten rule: Brienne does NOT let things drop. So I don’t think she lets this one go either. And it would also be genius because it fleshes out her love and devotion for Renly more. That time has passed and it still is a sticking point for her. And I’m damn sure she will want to do right by the nephew. Better for the bull too, I hope. If anyone were to realize who he is and be in his vicinity or with access to him, she is the best possible person to know first.

However, I’m still watching you very closely, Thoros. I’m not dropping it yet that you may at least suspect or it has crossed your mind that there’s a resemblance to Robert. I picture myself from that DeNiro movie, “I’m watching you, Thoros.” Also, I’m very curious for when the “Out of Order” sign comes off your flames. Just in case.

Time will tell. 

Gendry making a sword is curious.  Was it a repair or a new one, where did he get the steel, is this a dress rehearsal for putting Ice back together?  He was a bit pissy last we saw him, perhaps it wasn't the right time for Bri's big reveal?

Gendry making a sword is curious.  Was it a repair or a new one, where did he get the steel, is this a dress rehearsal for putting Ice back together?  He was a bit pissy last we saw him, perhaps it wasn't the right time for Bri's big reveal?

I agree that the timing is important. Also, that we are probably meant to see it is somewhat significant with all the build up, urgency, and by how it keeps coming up throughout the series. I think it is important what kind of terms and what sort of situation Brienne is in before she tells him. That will dictate how it happens, I think. What happens next will determine a lot regarding what goes down with her Jaime, LS, and the BWB. There are too many things hanging to predict. The BWB's Frey beef, what to do with Jaime, looking for Arya/the whole orphanage system they have going, Edmure and the Westerling thing, and other stuff I'm sure.

Hopefully, I can post today or tomorrow, but I have more things that bother me about this. But I have to look it over. I mentioned it in my last post, but I still find it weird that they didn't have him just repairing something,(like when actors are directed to do minimal acts in a shot to show movement and naturalness in a scene, or like "background noise) because he is known for his hammer. I did take it as a possible indication/hint that he is about to leave the orphanage next and go out with the BWB, which also may be hinting that they are all collectively about to make a move and do something next. Possibly act on some of the things listed as we've all been anticipating.

But he said he is working on it and it is his. This shift from hammer reliance to even considering a sword took my notice after all he has said in the past and from what we know.

Hopefully, I can post today or tomorrow, but I have more things that bother me about this.

Look forward to it.  :)

Hey bookie !  I loved your post going over some of the worries you have about our favourite RL’s characters.  Your tone is often emotional and heart felt, plus enjoyable to read.  Thanks.  And another rock reference in there, Tenacious D are awesome !

Anyway…… Gendry, and his parentage reveal.  I hold the same fears as you, and regard Thoros as a potential problem, but for slightly [I think.] different reasons.  Yes Thoros spent a lot of time drinking with Robert in KL, and there is a definite family resemblance [The seed is strong.] but this was at a time when Robert was far from the fine specimen he was in years past.  I see the Renly resemblance being recognised as the bigger problem, Brienne was infatuated with Renly and recognised the distinctive features straight away.  Let’s face it, she had plenty of time to ogle the handsome [Pretender.] King. 

The other to recognise Gendry as a bastard of Robert is Ned, who knew Robert when he was Gendry’s age, and is surprised at his old friend’s appearance as early as the first chapter of AGOT.  So basically Ned is basing his decision on years of friendship, and his memory of Robert as a young warrior, and not the current appearance of the King.  Basically I think the determining factor is the knowledge of what a young Robert looked like, or the Renly resemblance being rumbled.

However, Thoros was [I think.] in KL whilst Renly was sitting the small council, so he had ample opportunity to meet, see, know of………. Whatever, Renly’s presence and appearance.  So, yeah, he is still a worry.

Gendry and his smithing.  I like your observation that to keep him working as a smith will likely hold significance, I agree.  To what end will be interesting, we know he has skill, Ned was very impressed.  And his mentor Tobho is an interesting character in his own right, re-forging Ice’s Valyrian steel for Tywin and all that !  Oathkeeper being in the RL’s and so close to Gendry’s observation has my interest piqued, he will surely have an fascination with such a magnificent sword, and would know the mark on said sword immediately. 

His working the Smithy at the Inn is likely holding that continued significance mentioned, but also the boring notion that he is repairing various things holds weight as well.  The BWB would’ve definitely picked weapons and armoury in their raids etc….. and this would make sense.  But we do have evidence of his ‘’Personal projects’’ so it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he was working on something special for himself.

Thoros and his ‘out of order’ Red God abilities are I think related to the Old God’s.  While at High Heart Beric is the embodiment of Bloodraven in later text.  A one eyed, slowly deteriorating corpse, sat upon a weirwood throne in a cave.  A cave that the GOHH says Thoros has no power at because of the Old Gods, which by the way confirms a prophetic albino at this seemingly important place.  Can this scream more BR and Old Gods ?

Anyhow, whatever Old Gods stuff was going on with Beric, he has passed this on to Un-Cat/LSH, and this all roughly coincides with Thoros losing his powers.  We know LSH and her gang are stationed at HH a lot of the time [When not raiding.] so no wonder Thoros is having problems, at the cave at least. 

While this similarity seems blatant, there isn’t loads to go on throughout the fandom on such matters, a little on a thread I mentioned in previous editions, but scant info really.  I feel these little details may have more meat on the bone when the next book comes out.  Bran is about to see a shit load of stuff, and HH seems like a place he may be able to access or even influence? [The weirwoods whisper to the GOHH when she sleeps.]  We will have to wait and see.  :P 

I noticed too that many eventful things that happen to Gendry happen while he is in a smithy, in his element: Stannis’s visit with Jon Arryn, Ned’s visit, the acorn dress scene is out of KL, but in a smithy. And he never got rusty, no pun intended. Gendry still got to practice at Harrenhal and it continued right into his BWB time.

I mean, Brienne was even given the cliche soap opera fever/delirium hospital bed scene, which I won’t go into because I’ve brought it up already on Rethinking Romance. But this is how I pictured it, when I read it in frustration and slapped a palm to my forehead:

Must tell…Must tell Gendry….my cheek is half off my face….must speak to Gendry. Now. All we need is a General Hospital sign hanging nearby. Next to the sign that Brienne pinned up that reads: “Pysch! Thought I was going to spill the beans again, didn’t you? Ha!”

As the Stomach Turns! :lol:

Ruminations on your ruminations...

Arya brought out the best in Gendry. That's the way the story was written. And they have their own song, and everything.

So Arya thought Sandor was muscled like a bull, and then she met the Bull. And she was ultra miffed when they took Gendry's helm, like she was when they took Needle. Also the Arya has a blacksmith's hands thing came up twice right?

And Brienne will never let it rest. But I think she feels guilty that she replaced Renly with Jaime, more than anything. I think she is becoming more aware that things aren't so simple as she once thought. Renly wasn't all that. And love changes a person.

~~~snip~~~~~

Thoros and his ‘out of order’ Red God abilities are I think related to the Old God’s.  While at High Heart Beric is the embodiment of Bloodraven in later text.  A one eyed, slowly deteriorating corpse, sat upon a weirwood throne in a cave.  A cave that the GOHH says Thoros has no power at because of the Old Gods, which by the way confirms a prophetic albino at this seemingly important place.  Can this scream more BR and Old Gods ?

Anyhow, whatever Old Gods stuff was going on with Beric, he has passed this on to Un-Cat/LSH, and this all roughly coincides with Thoros losing his powers.  We know LSH and her gang are stationed at HH a lot of the time [When not raiding.] so no wonder Thoros is having problems, at the cave at least. 

While this similarity seems blatant, there isn’t loads to go on throughout the fandom on such matters, a little on a thread I mentioned in previous editions, but scant info really.  I feel these little details may have more meat on the bone when the next book comes out.  Bran is about to see a shit load of stuff, and HH seems like a place he may be able to access or even influence? [The weirwoods whisper to the GOHH when she sleeps.]  We will have to wait and see.  :P 

About Beric, the supernatural undead who was bested in a trial by combat by a mortal man.  The trial that took place in a cave, where Beric sat in a tangle of weirwood roots. Beric had the magic, the sword and the power to be the victor, but he wasn't.  Where were BR and the Old Gods then? 

About Beric, the supernatural undead who was bested in a trial by combat by a mortal man.  The trial that took place in a cave, where Beric sat in a tangle of weirwood roots. Beric had the magic, the sword and the power to be the victor, but he wasn't.  Where were BR and the Old Gods then? 

Good point Longie.  As I mentioned, I don't really have any answers at this point.  But I think the similarities are striking nonetheless. 

The fact that he was being given trial by combat, effectively letting the Gods decide, may be important, the fact he was innocent of the charges aimed at him etc......   

Also it just occurred to me, but I can't miss a chance to rag on Edric Dayne. It must have extra annoyed Gendry that he was talking about how the rain hurt his head when he wears his helm, since Gendry has traumatic helm loss issues.

Haha, great point !  Maybe he's working on a new one at the Inn ?  Or perhaps not if it's too painful a memory !  A well made sword may come in handy.  ;)   

Hey, that is interesting. And I still want to know what was going on with the crow following Arya and Sandor.

Arya glanced over her shoulder, but there was nothing behind them but a crow flitting from tree to tree. The only sound was the river.

Hey bookie !  I loved your post going over some of the worries you have about our favourite RL’s characters.  Your tone is often emotional and heart felt, plus enjoyable to read.  Thanks.  And another rock reference in there, Tenacious D are awesome !

Anyway…… Gendry, and his parentage reveal.  I hold the same fears as you, and regard Thoros as a potential problem, but for slightly [I think.] different reasons.  Yes Thoros spent a lot of time drinking with Robert in KL, and there is a definite family resemblance [The seed is strong.] but this was at a time when Robert was far from the fine specimen he was in years past.  I see the Renly resemblance being recognised as the bigger problem, Brienne was infatuated with Renly and recognised the distinctive features straight away.  Let’s face it, she had plenty of time to ogle the handsome [Pretender.] King. 

The other to recognise Gendry as a bastard of Robert is Ned, who knew Robert when he was Gendry’s age, and is surprised at his old friend’s appearance as early as the first chapter of AGOT.  So basically Ned is basing his decision on years of friendship, and his memory of Robert as a young warrior, and not the current appearance of the King.  Basically I think the determining factor is the knowledge of what a young Robert looked like, or the Renly resemblance being rumbled.

However, Thoros was [I think.] in KL whilst Renly was sitting the small council, so he had ample opportunity to meet, see, know of………. Whatever, Renly’s presence and appearance.  So, yeah, he is still a worry.

Gendry and his smithing.  I like your observation that to keep him working as a smith will likely hold significance, I agree.  To what end will be interesting, we know he has skill, Ned was very impressed.  And his mentor Tobho is an interesting character in his own right, re-forging Ice’s Valyrian steel for Tywin and all that !  Oathkeeper being in the RL’s and so close to Gendry’s observation has my interest piqued, he will surely have an fascination with such a magnificent sword, and would know the mark on said sword immediately. 

His working the Smithy at the Inn is likely holding that continued significance mentioned, but also the boring notion that he is repairing various things holds weight as well.  The BWB would’ve definitely picked weapons and armoury in their raids etc….. and this would make sense.  But we do have evidence of his ‘’Personal projects’’ so it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he was working on something special for himself.

Thanks so much, Wizz. And I think Tenacious B is sticking…lol.

You are totally right that Renly is also a major point of possible reference/recall for Thoros. Yeah, he was there a lot to observe both Baratheons. And it also popped in my head that the author is so slick, and we do see Brienne (who wants to tell Gendry and I believe would have good intentions regarding Gendry) given a dialogue scene with Thoros ( the only other person around her, I think, that has the best chance of confirming what she knows, and it adds suspense that we aren't sure that if he does know who he is/or puts it together, we don't know necessarily how Thoros will react to that info.) Because I will admit that I was on the edge of my couch worrying, saying "oh, shit, I know you want to get it out, Brienne, but don't tell this guy!( and she was savy and didn't.) We don't know what's going on in that head of his exactly. And of course, most time was spent with me head-scratching that Thoros had either the stupidity or the utter balls, telling the soon to be judged a traitor and total stranger to him, Brienne, that he has gripes with Uncat and BWB. I'm like: Hell, they are so damn sensitive, and here you are badmouthing Mother Merciless and her back up dancers. Are you crazy, dude? Not a smart move, if they get wind of it. They may even decide to take care of you before you can cause a problem if they're paranoid. LS and Lem and the boys have been "trigger happy" so to speak for awhile now. Just make that a noose instead.

I also agree that keeping Gendry a working smith was important. And that he can possibly repair anything he is given is good. Also, that scene with Ned and Tobho is of multiple purposes. A young smith making that great of a master piece ( I spaced it because a masterpiece has a different connotation I believe) is really hitting the reader over the head that his talent very early on should stand out for us, and to keep it in mind for later. Otherwise, all Ned had to do was see the resemblance and it still moved the Robert- has- bastards- and- a- kid- that- looks- like- him" arc forward just the very same without it.

I love how you said "Personal Projects." Perfect wording and extremely important. That is high skill, intelligence, and creativity. He is not an average smith. Some of the most brilliant/gifted youth think out of the box and like to veer off course to excellent results. I'm sure he has been doing more since the bull helm because he has been a working smith. Plus, he is stubborn and proud of his work and I doubt repair work alone in his cup of tea.

Also, we've all seen in real life and fantasy, the trope of the talented mentor taking a liking to a favored/talented apprentice and showing them extra. That might have happened in KL with Tobho. Speculative, but I turn over any possibility and kick it around.

You brought up just another excellent point again. Yeah, I think some of those little tidbits we chew on will add meat to the bone There are some fine, seemingly delicate details he throws our way, fiction filigree, if you will, and they have budded down the road before. Its going to happen again. And I'm proud that all of us that post here are open to looking at them.

As the Stomach Turns! :lol:

Ruminations on your ruminations...

Arya brought out the best in Gendry. That's the way the story was written. And they have their own song, and everything.

So Arya thought Sandor was muscled like a bull, and then she met the Bull. And she was ultra miffed when they took Gendry's helm, like she was when they took Needle. Also the Arya has a blacksmith's hands thing came up twice right?

And Brienne will never let it rest. But I think she feels guilty that she replaced Renly with Jaime, more than anything. I think she is becoming more aware that things aren't so simple as she once thought. Renly wasn't all that. And love changes a person.

Oh, God, i even cringed in a good way because it was so retro delicious when I read it. And it drove home the point that she really wants to tell him. It was great. What happened to her was so traumatic and she is still on the case regarding telling him and we are all hoping she doesn't die of shock, infection, or both.

Those two are the perfect Old Hollywood love foils. They are every great cop-buddy movie, but I also think the seeds of love are there too. I swear Gendry and Arya could be William Powell and Myrna Loy. Those two were excellent together. Their banter on the road is hilarious and endearing. 

In general the Starks are so tied to the dire wolf, their animal avatar, it would only make sense that both Arya and Sansa hit it off with and deserve and connect with two guys that have a very strong sense of self and their own unique individual animal avatar. The Bull and The Dog/Hound.

Oh, I agree. Tenacious B is sure as hell NOT dropping this. When she is on the case, forget it. And I believe Its all about Jaime now, but I could see her honoring and serving the memory of Renly out of loyalty and for other noble reasons, and I'd bet money that it counts in her book that Gendry is The Nephew. She's tortured that she can't save or protect the uncle, she ain't letting that happen again. 

Also it just occurred to me, but I can't miss a chance to rag on Edric Dayne. It must have extra annoyed Gendry that he was talking about how the rain hurt his head when he wears his helm, since Gendry has traumatic helm loss issues.

Go right on ahead and rag on him. That chapter was hysterical. And if that was a Jon Snow Cabbage Patch Kid reference, which I'm still not sure of, but dammit I laughed myself something silly the first time Gendry blurted that out to Arya and Ned and I read it.

Hey, it was every trope of a love triangle. From a 1930's movie to a B 80's movie, where a guy with a Flock of Seagulls hairdo is like: What the hell does she see in him? Gendry just didn't say it out loud. LOL!

Among the many things we've all noted in our posts over a period of time, I still marvel that the two interests of the Stark girls, let me repeat, both guys, both LOSE their helms in the series. You know, just the helms that represent their identity and their animal avatars, just like Sansa loses her wolf and Arya Needle. Its just too good.

Side note: After I saw the hilarious scene with armor between Joe and Ben, I can't imagine how he would have delivered the "cut your hair then" line, if there was a Ned and things were different. (Sorry, guys, I don't have the line in front of me) It would have been great. Just imagine the snooty, deadpan "'Cause I sold armor" said like that. Oh, and the dry exasperated stare.

He manages to pack so much character and story in just one sentence.

When Lady Catelyn had asked aout Arya, the septa had sniffed. "Arya has the hands of a blacksmith."

Catelyn, asking about Arya, is told about a blacksmith.

"Septa Mordane used to say I had a blacksmith's hands."

Gendry hooted. "Those soft little things?" he called out. "You couldn't even hold a hammer."

"I could if I wanted!" she snapped at him.

Gendry, you doofus. Have a clue. The author is talking about you. Your hands.

And I like the way she says, she'll do what she wants! If she wants a blacksmith's hands, she'll take it. Very forest lass of her.

Also I like that sparring kind of chemistry between characters. There's something about that other person that's stimulating to them.

Just to point out that what you said is very interesting. I hope there will be a good resolution about the different "religions" or magic, even if they are related or not. I have a lot of expectations with Bran. (Maybe more than I should have) :)

Totally agree. Their dynamics is amazing. And the way they are written! I love them.

If Brienne dies soon I'll be really disappointed. Not only because I love her (obviously) but also because her thoughts at this point of the story, realizing that the world is more complicated even that what she had thought (and suffered)  until now, because she had to use a shield all her life and at the same time now is discovering she can be accepted for what she is.... Moreover, she is so determined to do what she wants all the time and help the others and do what is right. 

He manages to pack so much character and story in just one sentence.

When Lady Catelyn had asked aout Arya, the septa had sniffed. "Arya has the hands of a blacksmith."

Catelyn, asking about Arya, is told about a blacksmith.

"Septa Mordane used to say I had a blacksmith's hands."

Gendry hooted. "Those soft little things?" he called out. "You couldn't even hold a hammer."

"I could if I wanted!" she snapped at him.

Gendry, you doofus. Have a clue. The author is talking about you. Your hands.

And I like the way she says, she'll do what she wants! If she wants a blacksmith's hands, she'll take it. Very forest lass of her.

Also I like that sparring kind of chemistry between characters. There's something about that other person that's stimulating to them.

Things like this seem like foreshadowing but recently Martin says not everything is a clue. Could be that highborn ladies and septa really have no idea what a blacksmiths hands look like. Noble's vision of reality isn't the same as the smallfolk. Or could be set up for GendryXArya.  Time will tell I suppose.

Things like this seem like foreshadowing but recently Martin says not everything is a clue. Could be that highborn ladies and septa really have no idea what a blacksmiths hands look like. Noble's vision of reality isn't the same as the smallfolk. Or could be set up for GendryXArya.  Time will tell I suppose.

In Winterfell, which had an active smithy on site, they know what blacksmith hand looks like.  Don't forget, Ned invited his men to dine with them, and WF's castle steel was prized.  Arya certainly knew what a blacksmith did, as did Sansa as they were both taught to ride horses and horses need shoes.  No keg shoes* like now, the smithy made them right there at the barn.

*pre-made horse shoes, they can be good shoes, but they aren't handmade

Archived