The Riverlands Web V.7

Booknerd2

~~~snip~~~

This talk of people being hidden on the QI is delicious.   Septon Meribald and Elder Brother both struck me as intelligent and well spoken.   Curious traits for formerly broken men and illiterates.    I didn't buy it for 1 minute that SM was illiterate.   Now why set all this grief up on The Hound for EB to claim he's dead and Lem to perpetuate his crimes?   Or am I seeing a connection that isn't actually there? 

I believe the EB was knight before the war, but SM was a youngster who followed his brothers into war.  So the EB was educated.  As for SM, don't really know?

Well yes, a knight, but EB is just cunning.   I can't get over knights being thick as castle walls sometimes.   It's pointed out more than once that SM is illiterate, that he memorized the Seven Pointed Star.  The repetition was curious    Then again, I would think you would need a higher than average level of intelligence and cunning to survive underground the way all the BWB have.  Maybe it's nothing...

I believe the EB was knight before the war, but SM was a youngster who followed his brothers into war.  So the EB was educated.  As for SM, don't really know?

Well yes, a knight, but EB is just cunning.   I can't get over knights being thick as castle walls sometimes.   It's pointed out more than once that SM is illiterate, that he memorized the Seven Pointed Star.  The repetition was curious    Then again, I would think you would need a higher than average level of intelligence and cunning to survive underground the way all the BWB have.  Maybe it's nothing...

To either of you have an idea on who your think the Elder Brother was before he washed up on the QI?

To either of you have an idea on who your think the Elder Brother was before he washed up on the QI?

From the wiki:

The Elder Brother was the third son of a family of knights, and he had nothing to offer the woman he wanted to marry but the shield, sword and horse of his own knighthood.

I believe that's what he told in the book, and really I don't have any other idea and think he's who he says he is.  A 3rd son from a very minor house.

Wait a while Lord Wrath, they will come up with something brilliant...For all it's worth there was some talk on another thread last week that EB could be Jonathon Darry.  He was a KG who was allegedly killed during Robert's Rebellion.   I guess there is no further info about him.   That theory was pooh poohed though.  

My stuff is in bold:

Several of the characters in the web are my favorites in the series. 

This is the best part. That many of are favorites have already, or it looks like they are going to run-in to each other and possibly will work together. The unlikely ones that already have beef with each other are going to be a pip to see unfold.

:agree: One of many things that I find interesting about the BwB is that although they're firmly rooted in the Riverlands, they are tied to multiple regions through prominent members that we get to know through the series. Beric is a lord from the Stormlands, and if Lem is who many of us think he is, so is he. Anguy and little Ned Dayne are Dornish. Harwin is from the north, and so is Arya. And on it goes.

The BwB really is an organization that has drawn people from all over the nation, which makes sense, as it was initially founded when Ned Stark, Lord of the North, charged a Stormlands bannerman in the name of the king (who was originally the LP of the Stormlands) to dispense justice to a Westerlands bannerman. Its affiliates literally hail from "Dorne to the Wall." It'd be interesting to see what role they play in the future. It could all lead to disaster, but my money's on a more egalitarian way of doing business in Westeros come spring.

Love this. And it is so funny that this ragtag bunch do come from everywhere, and I stated before that there was a focus on them coming in to the picture as a seemingly small bunch of wayward miscreants. (Er, some of the early personal details we get direct us to believe that some are a bunch of philandering, drunken, spendthrift, partiers) and now this thing has been opening up and they are even bigger than we initially thought early on. I even said the other day that when it struck me that their reach was more than we thought I remember thinking: What? This bunch of losers? LOL!

ANd I don't think for a minute ​from a  writing standpoint that it wasn't planned out to make them all different and to represent different places, which makes me think that a lot of thought was put into writing them and even more will be later. Meaning these characters, or some, are on the brink of being pretty important to events in the last two books, and especially with some of our characters we love.  Hey, for example, with BWB, big running bits/cliffhangers are that they are looking for Arya, Sansa, the Hound. It is brought up so much it has to get resolved, and it is just begging for run-ins.

I'm interested to see what happens to that Ned Dayne-led faction. (My worry is that each half of the BwB chooses sides in a hypothetical future "dance with dragons" between Dany and Aegon.)

Oh, especially since Gendry was hilariously not nice to him. And Arya left him in a huff. And Edric had the balls to leave LS and those with her. That has to go somewhere. Dying to see where. I hope the spurning doesn't come back to bite him in the ass either.

I also wonder if anything would make any of the key players leave the BwB, out of disillusionment. I know that's likely what happened with the splinter group, but I do wonder if any members might leave altogether, melting away into the forest.

Eh, I still have many concerns about Thoros. And he was way too open about being disgruntled with LS and BWB. Isn't that treasonous? And why would you let that out of the bag to Brienne, who is a stranger that you may not even trust? He thought she would hang anyway and so he'd get it off his chest? Odd. Isn't it better to pose as a united front? No, because that was for the reader. I truly believe the author wants, for some reason, to let us know that Thoros has been having second thoughts and questions the road forward. He is letting us know there are cracks in the veneer. 

Hey, Liz.

You always pop in from time to time with great posts. You're always welcome.

Wait a while Lord Wrath, they will come up with something brilliant...For all it's worth there was some talk on another thread last week that EB could be Jonathon Darry.  He was a KG who was allegedly killed during Robert's Rebellion.   I guess there is no further info about him.   That theory was pooh poohed though.  

I also think its Jon Darry. He "lied" to Brienne about plenty of things from a certain point of view.

Also remember Jon Darry fought against the Kingswood Brotherhood. He might have some interesting views on fighting a guerilla war.

:agree: One of many things that I find interesting about the BwB is that although they're firmly rooted in the Riverlands, they are tied to multiple regions through prominent members that we get to know through the series. Beric is a lord from the Stormlands, and if Lem is who many of us think he is, so is he. Anguy and little Ned Dayne are Dornish. Harwin is from the north, and so is Arya. And on it goes.

The BwB really is an organization that has drawn people from all over the nation, which makes sense, as it was initially founded when Ned Stark, Lord of the North, charged a Stormlands bannerman in the name of the king (who was originally the LP of the Stormlands) to dispense justice to a Westerlands bannerman. Its affiliates literally hail from "Dorne to the Wall." It'd be interesting to see what role they play in the future. It could all lead to disaster, but my money's on a more egalitarian way of doing business in Westeros come spring.

Hey Liz! I have also been thinking that the situation in Winterfell seems like it's own little microcosm of what is happening in the Riverlands and King's Landing. It might be on a much smaller scale with seemingly one person mysteriously murdering people but in every corner of Westeros it's like the smallfolk are finding ways to fight back. 

I also wonder if anything would make any of the key players leave the BwB, out of disillusionment. I know that's likely what happened with the splinter group, but I do wonder if any members might leave altogether, melting away into the forest.

I get the sense that Thoros is wavering a bit in the last Brienne chapter given this speech...  

“Justice.” Thoros smiled wanly. “I remember justice. It had a pleasant taste. Justice was what we were about when Beric led us, or so we told ourselves. We were king’s men, knights, and heroes... but some knights are dark and full of terror, my lady. War makes monsters of us all.” “Are you saying you are monsters?” “I am saying we are human. You are not the only one with wounds, Lady Brienne. Some of my brothers were good men when this began. Some were... less good, shall we say? Though there are those who say it does not matter how a man begins, but only how he ends. I suppose it is the same for women.” 

I also feel this speech is very indicative of asoiaf as a whole and not exclusive to the BWB- war does make monsters of us all, but perhaps it is how we end that matters. I thought it was a rather poignant message. 

The OP will always be a work in progress as characters, objects, places, post questions, and stuff is updated. 

Here are the links to all previous versions thus far in the spoiler box:

Here's a list of the previous versions:

The Riverlands Web V.1: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/115856-the-riverlands-web/

The Riverlands Web V.2: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/119354-the-riverlands-web-v2/

The Riverlands Web V.3: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/120123-the-riverlands-web-v3/

The Riverlands Web V.4: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/120898-the-riverlands-web-v4/

The Riverlands Web V.5: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/122458-the-riverlands-web-v5/

The Riverlands Web V.6: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/123975-the-riverlands-web-v6/

Update: 

Post questions master list – spread over V.1 – V. 6

Post Questions Previously Covered: But hey, rehash at any time! 

From V.1 – V.6

Post Question #1: Do you think Thoros knows already who Gendry is? Will a Gendry identity reveal, in general, cause problems in an already divided BWB? Is his safety at risk? LS?

Post Question #2: Why do we love Stranger and why he is like an Ancient Greek theatre aside?

Post Question #3: Why we love Nymeria (Big Nyms), Nymeria going forward, and how she is one of the “Benchwarmers.”

Post Question: #4: The Wolf Pack dynamic: or how to name-drop Hot Pie and get him back into the story.

Post Question #5: Who the hell is Jaqen H’gar? What is it with that guy?

Post Question #6: Sandor Goes Trick-or-Treating: What is in store for him, especially in the Riverlands? When a Sandor Eulogy Gets Cancelled

Post Question #7 - Mercy

Post Question #8: Jaime Lannister is going to have a bad day…a really friggin' bad day.

Post Question:#9: Where in the World is Brynden Sandiego?

Post Question #10: Uncat Rises: A Season of Bloom and Doom

Post Question #11: The Hound and The Bull at the Helm: What do they mean to them, to their story, the series, and you.

Post Question #12: Dog the Dog – by LeCygne

Post Question #13: The Orphanage: The Arya Stark Checkpoints, The Tarth Traveller, and One Pissed Off Bull

Post Question #14: The Inn: Come and Knock at my Door, We’ve Been Waiting for You

Post Question #15: The Dayne Defector and Ours has a Fury

Post Question #16: Moving On Up: Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish.

Post Question #17: The Importance of Being Harwin

Post Question #18: Sansa  – by LeCygne

Post Question #19:  Lord Walder Frey: Freyed Around the Edges

Post Question #20: Edmure Tully: Caught with Your Pants Down

Post Question #21: Elder Brother – by LongRider

Post Question #22: Anguy: On Being Given the Shaft

Post Question #23: Ghost of High Heart: And Why Prophecies Give Me High Blood Pressure

Post Question # 24: Beric Dondarrion – By Sir Percival Blakeney, Baronet

Post Question #25: Sybell Spicer is in Deep Sh@t - Parts 1 & 2

Update: 

Post questions master list – spread over V.1 – V. 6

Post Questions Previously Covered: But hey, rehash at any time! 

From V.1 – V.6

Post Question #1: Do you think Thoros knows already who Gendry is? Will a Gendry identity reveal, in general, cause problems in an already divided BWB? Is his safety at risk? LS?

Post Question #2: Why do we love Stranger and why he is like an Ancient Greek theatre aside?

Post Question #3: Why we love Nymeria (Big Nyms), Nymeria going forward, and how she is one of the “Benchwarmers.”

Post Question: #4: The Wolf Pack dynamic: or how to name-drop Hot Pie and get him back into the story.

Post Question #5: Who the hell is Jaqen H’gar? What is it with that guy?

Post Question #6: Sandor Goes Trick-or-Treating: What is in store for him, especially in the Riverlands? When a Sandor Eulogy Gets Cancelled

Post Question #7 - Mercy

Post Question #8: Jaime Lannister is going to have a bad day…a really friggin' bad day.

Post Question:#9: Where in the World is Brynden Sandiego?

Post Question #10: Uncat Rises: A Season of Bloom and Doom

Post Question #11: The Hound and The Bull at the Helm: What do they mean to them, to their story, the series, and you.

Post Question #12: Dog the Dog – by LeCygne

Post Question #13: The Orphanage: The Arya Stark Checkpoints, The Tarth Traveller, and One Pissed Off Bull

Post Question #14: The Inn: Come and Knock at my Door, We’ve Been Waiting for You

Post Question #15: The Dayne Defector and Ours has a Fury

Post Question #16: Moving On Up: Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish.

Post Question #17: The Importance of Being Harwin

Post Question #18: Sansa  – by LeCygne

Post Question #19:  Lord Walder Frey: Freyed Around the Edges

Post Question #20: Edmure Tully: Caught with Your Pants Down

Post Question #21: Elder Brother – by LongRider

Post Question #22: Anguy: On Being Given the Shaft

Post Question #23: Ghost of High Heart: And Why Prophecies Give Me High Blood Pressure

Post Question # 24: Beric Dondarrion – By Sir Percival Blakeney, Baronet

Post Question #25: Sybell Spicer is in Deep Sh@t - Parts 1 & 2

I would be interested in doing: Post Question #16: Moving On Up: Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish.

If you are looking for people to write on these topics....

I would be interested in doing: Post Question #16: Moving On Up: Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish.

If you are looking for people to write on these topics....

Oh, sorry, this is a list of ones that were done in v.1 - v.6 already. But if there is something you'd ever like to do, PM me and I can let you know if we did it or not. We covered people and some topics, events, that overlapped in some cases.

When there is a little lull…why not more Stranger? A continuation of the riots.

When Stranger ponders plausible excuses to throw at Sandor for how he "got lost" at the King's Landing riots.

Ok, browsing for earplugs at the market…. trying to buy him a wineskin for Christmas, and it is the thought that counts? Nah, too early. Saw a hot mare…I can actually talk to girls unlike him. Someobody spotted my mom…or some pony told me I was their dad? Free apples only today? Nah, f@ck it, they're starving. He won't believe it. Sandor looks it sometimes, but he's not that stupid. He may believe the earplugs…or a Gregor sighting, so I followed him? What should I tell him? Oh, wait, I got it… I was looking for Sansa. He won't be mad then. That's it! That'll do it! Plus I get suck up points and more apples. Damn, I'm a genius. I'm a riot. (Stranger slaps his knee and guffaws) Well, one of us has to do the thinking in this partnership, I mean, he is the sidekick.

Later...

I feel like the biggest bastard ever. Sandor never asked how I got lost. He er, was so happy to see me and he got emotional on me. He let it drop, He,er, said he missed me and if anything happened to me he'd kill whoever was responsible. The face was too much. I sulked, not making eye contact for a dead giveaway with head down. I quietly rode him home, feeling guilty as all hell. Then I snapped at an old guy's face that was riding in a cart, just because. Get the horse testosterone flowing again. Sandor just petted my head and got all gushy. I think I heard an affectionate "that's my boy" rasped under his breath. Ugh! I even….I even think the soft sonofabitch was about to tear. And now I feel like the biggest piece of cold-hearted crap on earth. Gods. I hate when he shows he has a heart. Makes my job harder. He is getting soft on me. Gotta toughen him up somehow. Ever since he met this girl…where did my old buddy go? This is ridiculous. But I did get those apples and a halfway decent grooming this time.

And thank God nothing happened to the pretty redhead, because then I'd never hear the end of it. And I'd really need those earplugs.

When Stranger ponders plausible excuses to throw at Sandor for how he "got lost" at the King's Landing riots.

Ok, browsing for earplugs at the market…. trying to buy him a wineskin for Christmas, and it is the thought that counts? Nah, too early. Saw a hot mare…I can actually talk to girls unlike him. Someobody spotted my mom…or some pony told me I was their dad? Free apples only today? Nah, f@ck it, they're starving. He won't believe it. Sandor looks it sometimes, but he's not that stupid. He may believe the earplugs…or a Gregor sighting, so I followed him? What should I tell him? Oh, wait, I got it… I was looking for Sansa. He won't be mad then. That's it! That'll do it! Plus I get suck up points and more apples. Damn, I'm a genius. I'm a riot. (Stranger slaps his knee and guffaws) Well, one of us has to do the thinking in this partnership, I mean, he is the sidekick.

Later...

I feel like the biggest bastard ever. Sandor never asked how I got lost. He er, was so happy to see me and he got emotional on me. He let it drop, He,er, said he missed me and if anything happened to me he'd kill whoever was responsible. The face was too much. I sulked, not making eye contact for a dead giveaway with head down. I quietly rode him home, feeling guilty as all hell. Then I snapped at an old guy's face that was riding in a cart, just because. Get the horse testosterone flowing again. Sandor just petted my head and got all gushy. I think I heard an affectionate "that's my boy" rasped under his breath. Ugh! I even….I even think the soft sonofabitch was about to tear. And now I feel like the biggest piece of cold-hearted crap on earth. Gods. I hate when he shows he has a heart. Makes my job harder. He is getting soft on me. Gotta toughen him up somehow. Ever since he met this girl…where did my old buddy go? This is ridiculous. But I did get those apples and a halfway decent grooming this time.

And thank God nothing happened to the pretty redhead, because then I'd never hear the end of it. And I'd really need those earplugs.

A hound and his horse, both are softies at heart.  Sandor and Stranger, full of bravado and deep inside, just lookin' to try a little tenderness. 

Aw, thanks for being so nice, everyone! :cheers:  As I think I've said before, I work like 60-70 hours per week, so I never have much time to wander in...

My favorite characters are Arya, Dany, and Sansa, but all my favorite male characters except Jon are tangled in that Riverlands web... Jaime, Gendry, Sandor, the Blackfish, etc. So I keep up with this thread -- and love all of your brilliance!

Thanks for your comments!

Thanks for the reply, LongRider! I had no idea that some of the Sparrows were refugees from the countryside/RL. Very, very interesting! Time for another re-read... :)

Hey Liz! I have also been thinking that the situation in Winterfell seems like it's own little microcosm of what is happening in the Riverlands and King's Landing. It might be on a much smaller scale with seemingly one person mysteriously murdering people but in every corner of Westeros it's like the smallfolk are finding ways to fight back. 

I get the sense that Thoros is wavering a bit in the last Brienne chapter given this speech...  

I also feel this speech is very indicative of asoiaf as a whole and not exclusive to the BWB- war does make monsters of us all, but perhaps it is how we end that matters. I thought it was a rather poignant message. 

Hi Mim! Yes, I think there's no way the political situation will remain the same after the war. It's almost like Europe in the late Middle Ages, you know? After the Black Death, the peasantry discovered their agency... it was like, "ooh, we can walk off this land, and go somewhere else, and actually get paid more!" The Wot5K has done a lot to destabilize, depopulate, and piss a whole lot of people off. It's very interesting, what you've noted about Winterfell.

Also... about Thoros. That speech is the speech of a man who's been totally disillusioned. I worry about him wreaking havoc. (Ned Dayne's faction, too.)

My stuff is in bold:

Hey, Liz.

You always pop in from time to time with great posts. You're always welcome.

Thanks, bookie! Means a ton coming from you...

You wrote:

ANd I don't think for a minute ​from a  writing standpoint that it wasn't planned out to make them all different and to represent different places, which makes me think that a lot of thought was put into writing them and even more will be later. Meaning these characters, or some, are on the brink of being pretty important to events in the last two books, and especially with some of our characters we love.  Hey, for example, with BWB, big running bits/cliffhangers are that they are looking for Arya, Sansa, the Hound. It is brought up so much it has to get resolved, and it is just begging for run-ins.

It was from reading these Riverlands Web threads that I began to see the connections. Now, when I re-read, they literally smack me over the head. 

I'm just waiting for my Arya to show up in the Riverlands again. Whenever I hear or read people say when she returns from Braavos, she's going to KL or the Wall, I get confused because Nymeria is in the RL, and Arya's literally having dreams where she's warging all the way across the Narrow Sea. She's totally destined to get to the RL because she has unfinished business, and as you say, the BwB is looking for her.

Oh, especially since Gendry was hilariously not nice to him. And Arya left him in a huff. And Edric had the balls to leave LS and those with her. That has to go somewhere. Dying to see where. I hope the spurning doesn't come back to bite him in the ass either.

On this re-read, I noticed that not only was Gendry not here for Ned Dayne at all, he tells Arya a story after Ned makes Arya mad when he brings up the Jon Snow/Wylla stuff... you've already analyzed this scene, but I just loved it...

Ned looked at her uncomfortably. “My aunt Allyria says Lady Ashara and your father fell in love at Harrenhal—”

“That’s not so. He loved my lady mother.”

“I’m sure he did, my lady, but—”

“She was the only one he loved.”

“He must have found that bastard under a cabbage leaf, then,” Gendry said behind them. Arya wished she had another crabapple to bounce off his face.

“My father had honor,” she said angrily. “And we weren’t talking to you anyway. Why don’t you go back to Stoney Sept and ring that girl’s stupid bells?”

Gendry ignored that. “At least your father raised his bastard, not like mine. I don’t even know my father’s name. Some smelly drunk, I’d wager, like the others my mother dragged home from the alehouse. Whenever she got mad at me, she’d say, ‘If your father was here, he’d beat you bloody.’ That’s all I know of him.” He spat. “Well, if he was here now, might be I’d beat him bloody. But he’s dead, I figure, and your father’s dead too, so what does it matter who he lay with?”

It mattered to Arya, though she could not have said why. Ned was trying to apologize for upsetting her, but she did not want to hear it. She pressed her heels into her horse and left them both.

Anguy the Archer was riding a few yards ahead. When she caught up with him, she said, “Dornishmen lie, don’t they?”

“They’re famous for it.” The bowman grinned. “Of course, they say the same of us marchers, so there you are. What’s the trouble now? Ned’s a good lad …”

“He’s just a stupid liar.”

Martin, George R. R. (2003-03-04). A Storm of Swords (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3) (p. 598). Random House Publishing Group. Kindle Edition. 

Arya may have just thrown a crabapple at Gendry's head, but this and so many conversations prove who's part of her pack, and who isn't.  :cool4:

Later...

This is amazing. I need a SanSanStran (Sansa, Sandor, and Stranger) reunion sometime in the future.

It's when she fights with you that she likes you. Edric never stood a chance.

On this re-read, I was floored by how fast Arya dismisses Edric/Ned as a lying Dornishman.  :lmao:

And the story Gendry tells about his mom made me laugh and also want to give him a hug.  :grouphug: It's just another example of how Gendry's trying to relate to Arya and make her feel better about things... "at least your father raised his bastard."

And then I think about all the hugs this poor boy has missed over his 15-16 years, and Mama Bear Liz just dissolves into tears...

SOMEONE NEEDS TO GIVE GENDRY A HUG.

Archived