Lyme Disease is not a river in Egypt

Yagathai

Lyme is the absolute worst.  I had it for 6 months before they could figure out what was wrong with me.  I then had to do antibiotics for 3 or 4 months to get rid of it.  

I am usually the person who is doing 90 things at once.  With Lyme, I would get home and just sink into the sofa.  It is definitely a flu/hangover feeling.  I would spend most weekends the same way.  I felt so, so, bad.

My sister in law supposedly has it, but I'm not sure she completed the anti-biotics after getting her positive diagnosis because she's always sinking horrible amounts of money into alternative medicine treatments and "doctors who listen(!)" for whichever new coinfection she has read about that week on the internet lyme boards.

I don't doubt she had it, she was a counselor at an adventure camp in colorado and spent weeks in the wild with her campers, within a week of returning she was basically an unable to move to work person, the utter opposite of her usual hard charging self. but she didn't get anybody even considering lyme (because she didn't remember any tick bites, but she's the sort to not notice or care about bugs) for nearly two years after, when they finally tested her it came back positive.

I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't have it any more, she seems oddly attached to the idea of being sick, and keeps finding ways to extend or transform her diagnosis. She also has all the symptoms of depression, but refuses to acknowledge that.

:/

Lyme disease - dogs can get vaccinated but humans are not allowed. Dumbest thing ever.

I'm out in the woods all summer in New England and I've rarely seen a tick. Early in the season they are so small you can hardly notice them. Hiking this weekend so now that i typed this I'll probably pick up 10 of them.

A know a bunch of people who have gotten lyme disease and the symptoms vary from it being almost irrelevant to  being debilitated for their entire lives. Very strange disease.

Lyme disease is no fucking joke. As Zelt said, for some its a simple cure, for others it can lead to life long suffering and death. I'm being tested for this now, myself.  

Get better soon. 

Lyme disease - dogs can get vaccinated but humans are not allowed. Dumbest thing ever.

I'm out in the woods all summer in New England and I've rarely seen a tick. Early in the season they are so small you can hardly notice them. Hiking this weekend so now that i typed this I'll probably pick up 10 of them.

A know a bunch of people who have gotten lyme disease and the symptoms vary from it being almost irrelevant to being debilitated for their entire lives. Very strange disease.

I guess the chances of the vaccine having dangerous secondary effects is very high when compared to the chance of catching the disease. Medicine is a lot about chances and probability.

I guess the chances of the vaccine having dangerous secondary effects is very high when compared to the chance of catching the disease. Medicine is a lot about chances and probability.

Is that for real? My vet said there was a human vaccine developed but that it would be expensive unless they were sure lots of people would get it. I'd pay for it in a heartbeat, I've had that shit three times.

There was a human vaccine (it is essentially identical to one of the veterinary vaccines).  It was voluntarily removed from the market due to poor sales.  There was a concern about potential adverse reactions but this was mostly based on a rodent model of disease.   Specifically, if you were a Syrian hamster and got the lyme outer surface protein A vaccine, there was a chance of adverse reactions.  Now this risk of adverse reaction did not extend beyond Syrian hamsters but it was enough to cause enough drama that the manufacturer decided it was better to remove the product from the market than face potential lawsuits.  Yeah.  Don't vaccinate hamsters against lyme infection.

It is far better to be a dog with Lyme infection than a human.  Why?  Because we have much better preventive measures in veterinary medicine than in human medicine (multiple vaccines available) and the standard of care is now shifting towards once yearly screening for dogs, which allows veterinarians to identify dogs that have been Lyme infected.  Treatment is now a consideration.

Since I started yearly screening for Lyme infection in my patients, I've seen a 6 fold decrease in the number of Lyme disease cases I manage.  If there was a vaccine still available, I would get it for myself and my kids, with no hesitation.   

There are a ton of articles and opinions about the Lyme Disease vaccination. I have no clue whats valid and what is not. I can tell you that an effective vaccine exists but is not available.  As Lepus said, its about balancing chance and probability. Given the exposure I have to Lyme and the amount of time I spend hiking on the New Hampshire woods I would take the vaccine without hesitation. To me the rewards outweigh any risks involved.

How do dogs present when they have Lyme? Like, what are their symptoms?

Typically they will be lethargic, have a fever, and swollen painful joints (usually multiple legs, sometimes the lameness will jump around from one leg to another).  In rare cases, some dogs can get a form of kidney failure that is fatal.  It is more common in labradors and is really sad, since you get a young or middle aged dog that dies no matter what you do.  Dogs are very well adapted to the lyme bacteria so most dogs that get infected will not show obvious signs.  This is why I recommend screening every dog in my practice yearly.  Dogs have a very reliable antibody response to infection so we have an inexpensive fast test that is very accurate.  I can diagnose infection usually long before the dog has a chance to become sick. 

In people it can sometimes be difficult to diagnose lyme.  People can get sick before their body has enough time to produce antibodies for the test to be positive.  Lyme moves slower in dogs, so we don't have this problem. 

Archived