Which character you'd marry?

Lili Targaryen

If you're powerful enough to be marrying Arya, you could easily be betrothed at 14, or even married.

(Also, when I was 14, I'm pretty sure I was into 18-year-olds, like Maisie Williams, not 10-year-olds, like Arya.)

Dany wasn't even born yet 20 years ago. Marrying a distant gleam in Aerys's eye? What a sicko!

I was assuming we were picturing the people we wanted to marry coming into our world, in which case, I wouldn't marry her at 14.

I know in Westeros you can get betrothed at 14 (or married at 8  :P)

Also: talking about book 5 arya. Who would be at least 13...

I was assuming we were picturing the people we wanted to marry coming into our world, in which case, I wouldn't marry her at 14.

I know in Westeros you can get betrothed at 14 (or married at 8   :P)

Also: talking about book 5 arya. Who would be at least 13...

ADwD takes place entirely within the year 300 AC. Arya was born in 289 AC. That means she's 10 or 11.

ADwD takes place entirely within the year 300 AC. Arya was born in 289 AC. That means she's 10 or 11.

really? wow.

only 3 years have passed in the books?

anyone else find that highly unrealistic, as westeros is suppose to be as big as the continental US, and these people just have HORSES to travel on?

really? wow.

only 3 years have passed in the books?

Actually, less than 3 years, although how much less depends on how you work out how much time the early chapters (not counting the prologue) of AGoT were spread over.1
[spoiler]
From the preview chapters in TWoW, we know that Arya turns 12 not long after ADwD, and there are other hints that it's 301 not far into the book.
[/spoiler]

The TV show stretches things out to about twice as long. Probably not so much intentionally, as because there's really no choice but to go a year per season when you have prominent child characters.

It's worth remembering that GRRM envisioned the story as taking a decade, and even after the first three novels, he was planning on a 5-year-gap to get back on track for that timeline. But if he keeps the same average pace as the first five books, ADoS will end in late 301 or early 302, Arya will be a bit under 13, and you'll be 20. :)

anyone else find that highly unrealistic, as westeros is suppose to be as big as the continental US, and these people just have HORSES to travel on?

Travel times are notoriously one of the things GRRM doesn't put much effort into getting right. The fact that they're a lot more focused on naval trade than wagons, and ravens than riders for communication, solves some of the problems, but when it comes to actual land travel, especially of armies, it doesn't really work.

My suspicion is that he started with two separately plausible ideas, that warfare in Westeros should be a lot more offensive and fast-paced than in England2 and that Westeros should be a full continent rather than an island, and didn't realize that combining the two caused problems with some of his details until it was too late, at which point he decided it wasn't worth fixing. But, whatever the reason, he's acknowledged that if you take a ruler and try to work out all the travel times, it ruins the story, so don't do that.

1 According to one fan effort to work out the calendar, it's around April 298 to November or December 300. Personally, I think those attempts are pointless; there's very little evidence of the time of year for most events, so you have to stretch that evidence pretty far to come up with a conclusion, and GRRM himself probably has no idea what months most parts of the story take place in.

2 As he's said, a country whose strategic traditions were set by a dragon-riding conqueror would be very different than one whose strategic traditions were set by a fort-building conqueror. That's a believable and interesting bit of alternate history, and it also makes his wars more exciting to read, so why not?

Go back in time and marry Ned, as he's the only sane, faithful, not-terribly-damaged male in the book. I'd just have to keep him from becoming Hand. From an intellectual pov it'd be Tyrion, but he's so messed up, so high maintenance it's not even funny. Cersei and Tywin are also not safe relatives-in-law. Davos could be ok, but I wouldn't want to share him with Stannis.

actually at GRRM's current writing speed I'd be close to 25...

Sure, if you go by a 2-degree polynomial fit, the last two books won't be out until 2018 and 2027. But the best match is a 4-degree polynomial that puts them in 2017 and 1993. So, mathematically, we can be pretty sure that GRRM has a time machine.

I'll believe that when we get the release date.

-_-

Guessing you don't keep up with GRRM's comments and posts. Well he's said things recently that have hinted towards a release date (like meeting the editors. But this belongs in the winds of winter section. Heads up, this forum -including me- doesn't like it when people start having a go at George for writing slowly).

Margaery

She seems like a charming, intelligent, and attractive girl, but I'm not sure she's worth a honeymoon that consists of a few days of everyone calling you Your Highness before you get killed by a shadowbaby or poison.

On the other hand, three cute little kittens do make for a pretty nice wedding gift.

Archived