Refugee Crisis

Arakan

10,000 isn't a problem. But, we'll get 10,000 through the normal asylum procedure, in any case (my guess is that we'll see 40-50,000 people in total awarded refugee status in the UK this year).

My concern is that Merkel has just given the green light for anyone in the Middle East to come to Europe.

But between June 2014 and June 2015, the UK only took 166 Syrian refugees. Whichever way you look at it that's not adequate. 

Asylum claims come from all over the world.

I know, but Syria is in the grip of civil war and millions of refugees have flown the country. There are nearly a million in Lebanon alone. Bearing that in mind I think 166 is woefully inadequate. 

We took 25,000 asylum seekers in total last year, which is completely embarrassing compared to how many Germany have been taking.

Battlefield is not a place for 90% of the women in the world. I'm not saying all women can't be soldiers, but I'm realistic. It's no place for most women. And these women in Syria are already of a culture where it is patriarchy driven. Most men wouldn't want their wives and daughters fighting for them as it would shame them. They would want them protecting their children in a strange new country.

I'm just saying the men need to stay and help fight for their country. What is going to happen? Everyone is going to flee and leave ISIS to rule and do what they want or are they going to step up and help take out the trash?

It's really not as simple as saying "men should stay and fight for their country."  How are they supposed to do that?  Who will train them?  Who will arm them?  Who will lead them?  What will happen if/when they win?  Will they be dearmed?  Will they be indebted to those countries that helped?  Are we capable of preventing a future ISIS problem?  And on and on and on.  

They should join the Turkish army or any other army fighting ISIS. If memory serves me correct when the U.S. fought for independence the men here took up arms and fixed the problem themselves. Yes they had help from the French navy or we would of never won against the British. And I'm not against aiding Syria with help from our military, but all these men need stay and fight too. It's not the job of the U.S and other western countries to do everything for them.

I would be happy to take every woman and child as a refugee here in America. But it's my opinion that the men need to stay and join the army against ISIS and help clean out the trash taking over their own country.

Many of them would rather fight Assad

Why would any man want to fight on either side? Leaving is the sign of intelligence and forward thinking. Countries that take these people in will be better off as we are getting the smart ones, not the idiots that think guns will solve their problems.

Find a job? Most of these refugees have large family networks that are with them as it isn't unusual for more than one generation to live together. Let the aunts and grandmothers watch the kids while the more able bodied woman work. They aren't completely helpless.

And before you say they have no skills to work, that's not true as most stay at home moms are skilled in many things and could get a job in a laundry, dry cleaners, dishwasher, childcare, maid, retail, customer service, restaurants, and any number of other things.

While not every person is guaranteed to have a support system like that, it's very doable. Just ask the millions of millions single moms doing it themselves out there with no help. Their situation will never be easy but it is what is, and you do what you need to for your family and country.

And since you think fleeing is the answer you would just forfeit your country and heritage to a bunch of genocidial nut jobs bent on taking over the world slowly but surely? When is enough enough? When everyone has fled the Middle East and ISIS rules the entire region? You think you can't solve this problem with guns..but what do you plan on doing? Ask them nicely to stop killing and destruction of entire countries?

Okay warning very sad picture, this image is now seared forever in my mind. Holding my son just a little closer tonight, it just breaks my heart to think about this poor family, one of so many, that have gone through so much to try to reach safety, or to die. These are people who are desperate to get away from terrible conditions. There is a real human cost. 

I am appalled by those suggesting that there are "too many", or that they are unwanted in any particular country. I've been following this on the New York Times, and it has brought me to tears.

Bring them to America. We will take them.

This is a really tough issue for me.  I agree with the sentiment wholeheartedly, but realistically, there is such a thing as "too many."

The official number of Syrian refugees in Turkey is 1.9 million.  I don't think anyone knows the real number.  You put that many, largely unqualified people in a country that has fucked up social services, huge income inequality and unemployment in the first place, as well as a general inability to plan and organize (especially in the state level)...it is an extremely difficult situation all around.

But it's my opinion that the men need to stay and join the army against ISIS and help clean out the trash taking over their own country.

Sorry, this makes no sense, whatsoever. Particularly "join the army" part.

It's not that hard to understand... The men need to fight for their own country to remove ISIS (I'm not saying we shouldn't help). Whether it's an already existing army like the Turkish army or starting their own militias and armies, they need to grow some balls and defend their homeland from these monsters not leaving it to other countries to fight their wars for them.

Archived