I just lost time...

Sivin

It's four hours later than I thought. And I don't mean I lost track of time, I could have sworn five minutes ago that it was midnight or maybe 1 am. But it's 4 in the morning... I know I've done a few things tonight, but nothing that would take 4 hours. I played Magic online for about an hour with my friend, I took a shower, and I watched a movie. That was at like 9 or 10. 

Fucking weird and kinda disturbing. How are you guys doing? Anyone have a similar creepy story they'd like to share?

ETA: Oh, and the stove's been on since I last looked at my clock (and then pre-heated the stove) at about 9:30.

It's four hours later than I thought. And I don't mean I lost track of time, I could have sworn five minutes ago that it was midnight or maybe 1 am. But it's 4 in the morning... I know I've done a few things tonight, but nothing that would take 4 hours. I played Magic online for about an hour with my friend, I took a shower, and I watched a movie. That was at like 9 or 10. 

Fucking weird and kinda disturbing. How are you guys doing? Anyone have a similar creepy story they'd like to share?

ETA: Oh, and the stove's been on since I last looked at my clock (and then pre-heated the stove) at about 9:30.

While I know enough (by "enough" I mean, just the most CURSORY knowledge) about physics to know that time itself is objective, the way WE perceive it certainly seems subjective to me. One area where i completely disagree with Kant (we don't directly perceive time? BS) I've done enough psychedelic drugs to know that the way time flows, to us, is completely subjective, and varies from person to person, even without the aid of psychedelics. So yeah, you probably just aren't that great with time, is what I'm saying.

IamMe,

I don't believe we have any clear physical measure for the passage of time beyond the slow increase of entropy in the Universe. As such time, while measured objectively by our insturments for comparison is pecieved by us subjectively.

Yeah, I think we're pretty much in agreement. I think it's gonna be hard to integrate actual, irrefutable truths about time with the average lay person though, if that's even theoretically possible. Unless Morgan Freeman continues his delicious through the wormhole series. I didn't get interested in any of this at all until I heard his beautiful voice educating me while on copious amounts of psychedelic drugs. And I'm still a pleb :P

Using the Magic Online client is most certainly a "loss of time." The definite culprit here, no doubt.

(Full Disclosure: I own a very extensive paper Magic collection.)

I owned one card, in my entire life time, of which I was very proud. I think it was something like "desolation angel" maybe like, 5/4 or something. It just looked so damn cool, I didn't care.

ETA: this made me REALLY want to look it up. I WAS RIGHT!! http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=26259&type=card

haha

That card has some nice art, in fact, my old local store's owner once had the original art for it, but he had to sell due to money trouble a while back.

I guess I can say I'm kind of proud of my collection. Really, I'm more just glad I could keep it all these years while still getting married, buying a house, having a baby, etc.

It's kind of cool how much it's all worth now, but also sad and depressing too. Totally, off topic now, haha.

On time, well, I 'lose' the hour between waking up and having to leave for work every morning. It always feels like one minute I've got 40 minutes and next, I've got about 5.

Every time my best friend/ex housemate and I would sit down and have a big political/philosophical/everything chat in the living room 4/5 hours would just HAPPEN and then we'd realise it's the early hours of the morning and HOW THE HELL did time go by that quickly? It was always really bizarre 

While I'm sure Magic Online and temporary lack of situational awareness are the culprits here, if it happens again you might want to consider getting in touch with your doctor. Non-alcohol-induced blackouts can be symptoms of something larger that you'd probably want taken care of.

While I know enough (by "enough" I mean, just the most CURSORY knowledge) about physics to know that time itself is objective,

I suppose that depends on what definition of "objective" you're using. Time is subjective in that it acts differently on different objects depending on their circumstances.

You should probably avoid playing this card in future.

(there are probably less obscure jokes about Magic cards that make time skip, but I know nothing about the game other than that it exists so gotta go with the Interstellar reference)

While I'm sure Magic Online and temporary lack of situational awareness are the culprits here, if it happens again you might want to consider getting in touch with your doctor. Non-alcohol-induced blackouts can be symptoms of something larger that you'd probably want taken care of.

Well, the Magic Online thing was more of a joke, because the client is a terrible program that barely functions. 

You should probably avoid playing this card in future.

(there are probably less obscure jokes about Magic cards that make time skip, but I know nothing about the game other than that it exists so gotta go with the Interstellar reference)

Well, it might have been useful if he had been about to make Time Stop. Since he couldn't, might feel like it's just Time Spiraling away.

Often, it can seem like Time Ebbs or Time Stretches, these are just perceptions though. Sometimes, simply Telling Time can alleviate this perceptual change, but should you find yourself encountering a true Time Warp or even a Time Reversal you may be somehow influenced by a Time Elemental or in a Time Machine.

Using the Magic Online client is most certainly a "loss of time." The definite culprit here, no doubt.

(Full Disclosure: I own a very extensive paper Magic collection.)

I  think it's that.

Somewhere there's a thread about me (as a 40-something mom who has never played any sort of fantasy game in her life) learning to play Magic for my kid. He quickly outpaced me and regularly places (even wins) in local tournaments. I'm just happy he doesn't ask me to play with him any more.

Bah! A couple of witty remarks, looking at you Slog. For the rest of you, Internet Magic was not the culprit here, this isn't the first time this has happened. About a year ago I was playing Skyrim or something on my computer and I remember thinking to myself 'Oh, I need to get around for bed' and then the next thing I knew I was sitting in my bed wrapped in blankets. My back hurt, I looked like shit, I was pretty sure I'd been sitting there for a while, I was unbelievably tired, and it was like 8 hours later and I was extremely close to being late for work. 

Last night was a little different in that I didn't just completely lose the time, I remember doing stuff, but 4 hours is a nice chunk of time and I don't remember doing anything that could have taken that long. Maybe you're right, Fez and I should go see my doctor. But that means getting in the car...  :rolleyes:

I'm not entirely sure why I made the post this morning, I guess I was a bit unsettled. Back to your normal days, folks. Sorry for the interruption. 

Edit: Since this is now some kind of Magic thread, I'll throw in my two cents. I think this is the last time I'll be playing in a Standard FNM for a few years unless we get some decent fucking counter spells. I'm extremely disappointed in not only the way the game panders to Mono Red and the tri-color stupid dumb shit, but also in what's been revealed in Battle for Zendikar. I'm all about Grixis, and by extension U/B control. But now I have no blue cards and no black removal. Why even play? I'll stick to Modern and Legacy. Where the most bullshit things I have to deal with from people who don't know how to play is Amulet Bloom and Show and Tell. 

Archived