Extensive report criticizing Laura J Mixon's report on Requires only that you hate

Ser Scot A Ellison

Goodness, you were not around during the good old days. Allow me to help and bring your popcorn. Who is Pierce I?

I read all that at the time, my favourite part was cause he used Kalbears(some poster in the thread) name and not others that must "mean" something. As for the veracity of claims against him, I just don't have the knowledge base to even begin to judge that. I personally never picked it up when reading it, but i'm male and at best average reader, so a lot of things better readers notice things i don't. Then there's the process of extrapolating the themes of the book and grafting them onto the character of the author. Again i have no idea how this process works, what the axioms are, what the mechanisms for the transfer are etc.

Yeah coming on and pretending to be someone else is a bad way to go about things. Should have been honest about who he was.

This is some seriously strong bakkake. Like, wow, a one sentence fragment in an absurdly long essay is now the topic for multiple pages.

I can see where emberling thinks that Bakker fans will jump to his defense like rabid weasels.

. Like, wow, a one sentence fragment in an absurdly long essay is now the topic for multiple pages.

One of multiple topics, the last 10 posts have concentrated on Bakker. Go back and actually count, you'll be surprised how wrong you are about the thread as a whole being multiple pages about that bit about Bakker. In fact even the newer Bakker posts have nothing to do with that sentence fragment, but about his sock-puppet visit and my favourite part about a thread i was invited to get popcorn for and read, after being wrongly thought of as absent when it happened. Empirical methods trump shitty memory everytime, which enables my employment thankfully! Yay!

I can't see Emberling saying anything about rabid weasles, however you might spend all day talking about board users foibles and the negative proclivities of fans of various authors across all sorts of mediums and threads i haven't read. So i'll assume you're right about what she thinks. Bakker fans is a good guy though, not sure why she's singling him out as a rabid, and considering she hasn't said it explicitly not sure what's accomplished by basically making up, what is essentially, a rumour about him. Unless it's all Bakker fans getting collectively judged like "this forum" was collectively judged as fellating Bakker. If that's the case it's hardly anything to take seriously, negative stereotyping is nothing new. Using the actions of some to categorise everyone, it means nothing.

To those who haven't been here for the past 8-10 years, there is a concentrated Bakker No-Fan contingent on this board. They hate that they love. Hence the passive aggressive snipes, regurgitation of ancient drama, etc. 'Round these parts back n the day (before she was outed & the Winterfox 'revelation') RotyH was defended, sometimes passionately, for 'punching up' with her facile 'review.'

To those who haven't been here for the past 8-10 years, there is a concentrated Bakker No-Fan contingent on this board. They hate that they love. Hence the passive aggressive snipes, regurgitation of ancient drama, etc. 'Round these parts back n the day (before she was outed & the Winterfox 'revelation') RotyH was defended, sometimes passionately, for 'punching up' with her facile 'review.'

Well wait. Do you mean that if you think Bakker's defense of how he writes women, or that his sockpuppetry was ridiculous, that correlates to also defending RotyH? Interesting conspiracy theory, but hardly the Truth.

I definitely think the discussion about women in Bakker's work is interesting and the sockpuppetry somewhat amusing, but to equate that to how I (and everyone who share my opinion) must also have been supporting RotyH is without basis in reality. Further, why beat around the bush? Name names, dig out the damning statements. The Internet Remembers, and all that.

Although, I have to say, points for the conspiracy theory and well played.

Lyanna,

You are not who I was thinking of and do the threads discussing RH, pre exposure of her pen name, still exist? Heck, I said RH was too vitriolic but was saying important things back when she was active. I simply recall people who were much more supportive of RH back in the day, not specifically who they were.

I was never part of the board during the sockpuppetry - it seems ill advised on Bakkers and neither was I on the board during the RotyH saga.

However I don't think being a Bakker fan makes me "like a rabid weasel", I have also never seen Emberling say that? Emberlings posts that I have read seemed a bit more measured than that.

I was never part of the board during the sockpuppetry - it seems ill advised on Bakkers and neither was I on the board during the RotyH saga.

However I don't think being a Bakker fan makes me "like a rabid weasel", I have also never seen Emberling say that? Emberlings posts that I have read seemed a bit more measured than that.

What, no rabid weasel feels? :p

To be honest, I don't generally feel Bakker fans act anything like what a rabid weasel would (albeit my experience with that type of animal is very limited) and I can't recall that the RotyH got that much coverage until she got outed.

Are we even sure that she(?) is a lesbian Thai woman?

This is something I've also wondered. Out of all the years of internet fuckery from this one person that I've read about, I don't think I've come across anything about anyone ever having any rl, face-to-face interaction with them, not even a skype vid chat type deal, which makes it even crazier to me that people would still want to defend, or even went to bat for so vociferously for in the first place years ago, a random internet identity that most likely has just as many fictitious elements as the books it once reviewed.

This is something I've also wondered. Out of all the years of internet fuckery from this one person that I've read about, I don't think I've come across anything about anyone ever having any rl, face-to-face interaction with them, not even a skype vid chat type deal, which makes it even crazier to me that people would still want to defend, or even went to bat for so vociferously for in the first place years ago, a random internet identity that most likely has just as many fictitious elements as the books it once reviewed.

I wonder how you could find out? I mean short of one of us moving to Thailand and getting involved in the Thai writers community... Also Thai surnames tend to be fairly unique...

Wait, didn't we have a short-lived troll on this very board who claimed to be a Thai lesbian (who was 14 years old and who had a complicated relationship with a golden retriever)? Is pretending to be a Thai lesbian some new fad on 4chan or something?

Archived