Slug 'em back - Drinking Continues!

Fragile Bird

See, that is why me and my friends cheat on the rare occasions we feel like playing. We just fill the cups up with water, while everyone drinks their beverage of choice at their own pace. Also, you don't have to drink beer that had a ball in it that was probably rolling around the floor not too long ago. 

Yeah, we do the water thing now too do to sanitary reasons, and because basically everyone I know now has a dog that either sheds everywhere or tries to eat the ball when it rolls on the floor.  But back in college all bets were off and we always put beer in those cups.

I have only started drinking gin on the last year or so.  I have Tanqueray on my shelf.  Makes me happy but I am sure that like beer I will learn what's better.

There are some fantastic gins on the market. There are also some absolute shite gins, especially those that were invented to appeal to vodka drinkers. (This is less of a thing now than it was a decade ago when gin was not popular.) And, as I mentioned, there are gins that are great for gin&tonics and martinis, but too delicate for general use; gins that are either for people who love juniper or are really best used in cocktails with other assertive ingredients (Campari, sweet vermouth, chartreuse, citrus juices, etc); and gins that work well under both circumstances. Hendricks is definitely in the first group; Blue Coat is definitely in the second (probably the best mean gin on the market, for those times -- breakups, loss of job, favorite team relegated to the second division -- when a mean gin is the only way to go); Plymouth and Brokers are in the third. I'd also put Tanqueray and Bombay Sapphire in that category; I just like them less than others at a similar price point.  

Still drinking our way through the case or so of Pretty Things we bought while driving through Massachusetts over Thanksgiving weekend. Currently on the East Kent Saison, which is an absolute delight of a beer. It's super simple - pale malt, Whitbread Goldings hops, and English ale yeast. And it's super refreshing - it was designed to be the sort of thing hop pickers would drink after a day of, well, picking hops.  Fairly confident I can pick up a few more bottles of this around the city, but sad it will soon be gone for good.

I suppose there's another homebrew project in the making....

Naw, they're completely different - LS is a tropical hop bomb of a DIPA and BS is a super thick, sweet strong ale, that has an additional ~3% and over LS. 

I used to love Shugga but it's gotten a little cloying for me as of late. 

Blue Coat is definitely in the second (probably the best mean gin on the market, for those times -- breakups, loss of job, favorite team relegated to the second division -- when a mean gin is the only way to go); 

...watching England play sport. 

so much beer has happened to our home recently and even more to come!

i have been pretty silly in the world of beer trading and purchasing lately. this week's highlight in purchasing and trades:

• 2 bottles each 2011 and 2012 abyss
  • 6 various cascade sours from 2009 and 2014
  • 2 bottles of upland sours
  • 3 bottles of abraxas
  • 4 more 2015 barrel aged bourbon county
  • 1 of the 'rare' 2015 bourbon county aged three years in heaven hills barrels

and now we head down to richmond for some more fun. tomorrow we will be picking up some xmas morning and apple brandy barrel variants of hardywood's gingerbread stout.

the bottle share tonight looks epic as well. 

yay, beer!

• 3 weeks later...

Damnit! It's the same weekend as The Cure in New York. We're seeing them on the 19th. I guess we could do a whirlwind long weekend....hm.

yeah, my sisters wedding is like a week before... In Colorado... Right after MDF. I'm gonna have to convince my boss to let me work 80 hours in five days over a three week period to take all this time off. 

But there is a moderately cozy place to stay in Boston that's always open to you guys! 

If I am going to keep brewing I need to get the lingo better.

We popped caps on our second batch today; something we hoped would be a red IPA.  The hops didn't come one as strong as I hoped and instead we got a flavorful red with a bit of cloudiness.  The hop leaves a slightly bitter after taste on an otherwise smooth brew but it is enjoyable.  My wife describes it as good as long she has something salty with it.

Getting the hops to have a strong presence is not an easy task. Heck, IPA's are not easy to make well, period.

Red IPAs are tough since hitting that right balance of bitter, sweet, and aromatic is made more difficult by going for the red color. We've got one recipe that's evolved over the years to get drier. Haven't made it in about a year and a half. 

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk recipes/procedures/what not. A lot easier to do that via email than on here.

Out west with pops. Had a few beer adventures in Portland and in Boise. 

Enjoyed some very nice beers in both cities. 

Bend's 10 barrel has an outpost in Boise and everything I had there was solid.

Back in Portland Friday hoping to snag a couple bottles of the abyss 2015 variants in cognac and three barrels. 

At a family gatherings and there is the customary wine and cider.... Plus my niece is crawling on me while I write this on my phone.

Edit: just remembered that she is sick.... This might become something a danger to my heaLth.

Archived