Slug 'em back - Drinking Continues!

Fragile Bird

3 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Which Andersen Valley gose was it?  Was it Briney Melon?

3 hours ago, Seli said:

No, it was "The Kimmie, The Yink, & The Holy Gose", which I assume is their basis for the fruity variations.

The Blood Orange is my favourite of their gose(s?) but TKTY&THG is also pretty good. Their gin and tonic gose was so-so.

17 hours ago, kairparavel said:

The Blood Orange is my favourite of their gose(s?) but TKTY&THG is also pretty good. Their gin and tonic gose was so-so.

That's the only one of theirs (gose) that I've tried and I quite liked it. I am mad keen excite for the Westbrook Key Lime Pie Gose which has just landed in London in the past couple of days. To say it has been eagerly awaited here would be a bit of an understatement.

And before anyone starts patting themselves on the back pretty much all of the gose puns have been used already (I quite liked 'When the light gose out'). Have a quick browse on Untappd if you don't believe me.

So this weekend was the launch of the (?fourth, ?fifth) International Rainbow Project. This year the brewery pairings were Aus/NZ breweries. The great thing about the launch events is that you don't just get the collab beer, you also get another couple of beers from each of the guest breweries. In this case it meant I had to force down lots of NZ pales and sours that were full of fresh Nelson Sauvin. <3

9 hours ago, Isis said:

That's the only one of theirs (gose) that I've tried and I quite liked it. I am mad keen excite for the Westbrook Key Lime Pie Gose which has just landed in London in the past couple of days. To say it has been eagerly awaited here would be a bit of an understatement.

And before anyone starts patting themselves on the back pretty much all of the gose puns have been used already (I quite liked 'When the light gose out'). Have a quick browse on Untappd if you don't believe me.

So this weekend was the launch of the (?fourth, ?fifth) International Rainbow Project. This year the brewery pairings were Aus/NZ breweries. The great thing about the launch events is that you don't just get the collab beer, you also get another couple of beers from each of the guest breweries. In this case it meant I had to force down lots of NZ pales and sours that were full of fresh Nelson Sauvin. <3

Westbrook is awesome.  Their One Claw might be my favorite thing ive had in the last couple years.

...eta...and apparently there is already a "and so it gose".  Guess I shouldn't quit the day job.  :-(

• 2 weeks later...

Discovered Pisco Sour recently. Pisco has always had a bitter taste memory involving parking lots smelling of public bathrooms. Now it's all glamour. Can't believe I never had it before.

Next weekend going to the local Oktoberfest, expecting a large variety of artisanal beers.

• 9 months later...

This is good.

On Wednesday we had a Bissel Brothers TT at the bar where I work. The beers were 'nice' but I'm not sure they were worthy of the stress it caused my boss getting them shipped over here. Plus the rye PA (Lux) barely tasted of Rye, which made me sad. Still, we're drowning in hazy IPA/DIPA in the UK anyway so I can't really see the point in importing those styles anyway.

• 2 months later...

I was never a huge fan of IPA, but I do really enjoy the current crop of the juicy version that is currently (finally?) showing up here.

It might help that those are now brewed relatively locally, and my local store makes sure they are fresh.

5 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Hillfarmstead's George Brown Ale.  This is the best brown I ever had.  

Went down to the pub to find it over-run with tourists for the film festival that starts today.  Was about to leave but figured I should hawk the beerlist first.  The saving grace was a fresh keg of this.  

hell yea dude, nice

Has anyone tried the supposedly new, fashionable cocktail, the gin and tonic with cold brew coffee?

Pour a shot of gin over ice, add some cold brew and then top off with tonic, topped with a piece of lemon rind.

I had never made cold brew coffee before, and the first recipe that popped up was from Jamie Oliver, who suggested a proportion of 1 part coffee to 8 water. After I put my mix in the fridge for the night, I looked up a few other recipes and everyone seems to suggest a much stronger mix, about 1:4 or 1:5, so I went up from half  cup of coffee to 3/4. If I make the cocktail again, I'll do 1:4, since once I mixed the cocktail I found I really wanted a stronger coffee flavor.

Before the cocktail (at Sunday dinner) three of us tested two flights of gin and tonic. The first was with Tanqueray (as a London Dry Gin) and the second was with The Botanist. I mixed three test drinks with each gin, one with Fever-Tree Indian tonic, the second with Fever-Tree Mediterranean tonic and the third with old standby Schweppes. The drinks were 1 tsp. of gin with 3 tsp. of tonic, so we wouldn't get pie-eyed. :P  

I had never even heard of Mediterranean tonic water. In the end all of us enjoyed the Tanqueray with the Mediterranean tonic water. It was a fun exercise, which some of you might want to try. :)

On 22/10/2017 at 10:59 PM, larrytheimp said:

Hillfarmstead's George Brown Ale.  This is the best brown I ever had.  

Went down to the pub to find it over-run with tourists for the film festival that starts today.  Was about to leave but figured I should hawk the beerlist first.  The saving grace was a fresh keg of this.  

How clean is this beer? Is it a framhouse brown or a clean brown ale?

So long as you can still taste the flavor of the gin I don't see the problem. I don't like you taste only tonic when I have a g&t, otherwise you may as well have a vodka and tonic. 

Hmmm. Now I want a g&t. 

Archived