Slug 'em back - Drinking Continues!

Fragile Bird

I've had a lovely weekend at the Villaggio della Birra festival, in southern Tuscany. Pre-festival included three brand new italian craft breweries (though all of them feature pretty famous italian brewers), some NZ, CAN and AUS ales.

The festival itself hosted some of the best italian brewers, some of the best dutch and belgian brewers, three US brewers (Hair Of The Dog, Jester King, and Big Island) and a couple UK brewers (Wharfe Bank and Weird Beard), plus a lovely sour ale corner.

Aw, cool, Hoppy Hour, my friends Gregg and Alison from Weird Beard (the owners) were pouring their beers at that festival. Long shifts for just the two of them though. Hope they got to see some of the scenery. Did you try their beers?

Had a black barley wine from BrewDog last night, not sure it was ready yet. Not soft or round enough.

Oh, I didn't know they were friends of yours.

I had already tried some of their beers two years ago at a tap takeover at the Cask Pub & Kitchen during the GBBF week. It was nice to chat a bit with them and to try most of their beers, I liked them. One of my suppliers had some talks to start importing them in Italy (Tuscany especially), so I'm waiting to see what will happen between them.

A Duvel Triple Hop. Which balances out the hops with the Duvel, too drinkable by far.

eta:

Birch beer, done well, is an absolutely delightful and delicious beverage. It tends to be a regional thing in the northeast US. When I was a kid, our neighborhood parties usually had a keg of (fizzy yellow) beer for the drinkers and a keg of birch beer for the children and non-drinkers. 

Done poorly, it's a syrupy soft drink that could be mistaken for any number of mediocre (non-alcoholic) root beers.

I had a birch drink once (Belarussian I seem to remember) which I assume is similar. That one was one of the bad ones then.

Had two Ommegang Hennepin saisons after not having a beer in a couple weeks...really hit the spot.

With the fall rolling around pretty soon my go to's will probably end up being Smuttynose Old Brown Dog and Sierra Nevada Tumbler - seriously why the fuck is the Tumbler only in the fall pack? That shit should at least be sold in it's own packs seasonally.

Friday end of the work day drinks: Chardonnay + some Camembert and crackers. Its Ok. But now I'm off 'round the corner to play some pool with a mate for an hour, and then get some dinner at our favourite Northern Chines Hotpot joint before I drive home. 

We have a fun thing at work right now. Each chef is paired with a bartender to collaborate on a cocktail.

Initially I made a cascade hop and grapefruit bitters I imagined going with gin.

My bartender made a apple infused whisky. I have now made a sherry vinegar and maplease syrup shrub infused with ginger.

Not sure where we are going but it will n be good I think.

Aw yeah, the hop bitters and hop distillations are fascinating me at the moment.

Oh, I didn't know they were friends of yours.

I had already tried some of their beers two years ago at a tap takeover at the Cask Pub & Kitchen during the GBBF week. It was nice to chat a bit with them and to try most of their beers, I liked them. One of my suppliers had some talks to start importing them in Italy (Tuscany especially), so I'm waiting to see what will happen between them.

Yes, my (brewing) partner brews at WB one day a week. We are both friends with the founders of the brewery. And we were at that pre-GBBF tap takeover too. Small world, huh?

I just got elected to the British Guild of Beer Writers so I'll probably be doing a bit more serious beer writing henceforth - so I'll be starting that dedicated beer thread in the near future for some brainstorming (amongst other things obviously).

Archived