Conservative or Conspiracy Theorist?

DaenerysWinsEverything

Maybe it isn't. I just saw in the Aegon threads a huge consensus that he is fake, so it seems pretty mainstream.

Yes, it is really mainstream. People are underestimating Martin, thinking he has made Aegon shit up in four seconds. I believe he is a Targaryen, and will be frustrated for his whole rest of life for not being recognized. It makes a wonderful storyline, better than a random kid used as a filler.

I do believe that Aegon is fake and R+L=J, but that doesn't make one conservative. I think that some need to understand that "thinking outside the box" doesn't equal with "I will believe whatever nonsense I want". That said, this board has examined every single option for Martin. There are no curve-balls left to surprise us.

Yes, it is really mainstream. People are underestimating Martin, thinking he has made Aegon shit up in four seconds. I believe he is a Targaryen, and will be frustrated for his whole rest of life for not being recognized. It makes a wonderful storyline, better than a random kid used as a filler.

Oh, I don't think he made up Aegon in four seconds. Rather:

(1) He's a fantasy Perkin Warbeck figure (to extend ASOIAF as a War of the Roses analogy)

(2) There are insufficient books left to actually develop the guy if he turns out to be a major protagonist. There is a reason Daenerys was introduced in Book One.

Anyway, to answer the original question, I like to keep an open mind. I'd actually prefer R+L=J not to be true though.

Oh, I don't think he made up Aegon in four seconds. Rather:

snip

Furthermore, we actually know that something was going on since book 2. We had George's "Rhaenys is most certainly dead" and mummer dragon imagery in ACOK.

This.

I am pretty conservative. The only theory I am certain of is R + L = J.

I use the term "fAegon", but I am not 100% sure (if I had to guess, I'd put all my money on "he is a Blackfyre", but fearing a little [I'd be certain if Varys did not talk that way to Kevan]).

I like some crackpot theories (E = D is my favorite), don't understand how someone can believe others... conservative.

Conservative-ish personally. I've fallen for some crackpot "theories" out there, but I know the difference between THEORY and SPECULATION. I'm a fan of (as I call it) "Jon" Malkovich (BR wargs Jon Snow when he dies to live a new life through his body). I can find little clues to it in the stories, but in the end it's just speculation of something that could happen in Winds.

Then, there are some theories I like but don't believe. Those include theories like Varys is really a woman and fAegon is her/his child with Illyrio, and Daario is really member of the House of the Undying in glamour and Daenerys has been sleeping with a withered old man all this time. I love creepy shit like that! (But again, I don't actually believe them.)

ETA: I'm relatively tolerant of theories in general, even if I don't believe them. Some of the most crackpot theories have highlighted details in the stories that I never noticed before. I might not agree with the conclusion, but I can still agree that said detail means something. Speaking of which, yes, I watch Preston Jacobs theory videos. I don't have to believe everything he posts to get anything out of it. Hell, I'm a regular here! How wouldn't I be used to that!

Conservative. I do think R+L=J is evident from the text and Faegon might or might not be the real deal. But bullcrap like Bloodraven warging into the Boar that killed Robert, Varys being a woman in disguise or everybody glamouring, skin-changing and warging into everyone else? Yeah no...

I don't even agree with the theory that Mellisandre is BR daughter (it makes the world too small, like in Star Wars where everybody ends up related to one another.)

Basically I veto any theory that involves BR on principle, I hate that guy.

I'd say conservative, there some theories I'm pretty much convinced on (R+L = J, (f)Aegon), some theories I consider very likely (Jojenpaste, Bloodraven-Mel) and some stuff I could see, but am by no means committed to (A+J = T, Cleganebowl, Riverland conspiracy).

Overall, most of these have some serious basis in the text, or are minor points.

Stuff like HS = HR or Daario = whatever, I see as tinfoil.  

I guess I'm a conservative, because I think a lot of the mysteries aren't even mysteries at all. Ramsay clearly wrote the pink letter, and I don't think GRRM intends us to think otherwise. The Grand Northern Conspiracy seems like wishful thinking and all the secret Targ stuff is just silly (apart from Jon obviously).

I'd say that most of us have limited tolerance for double identities, secret parentage, and Secret Master Plans. I accept few of those (yeah, R+L=J, let's not kid ourselves), but most of those are garbage. Conceived not out of the desire to make the story simple and logical, but the opposite, out of craving for something extra weird and twisted. So no to HR=HS, no to Daario = Euron, no to "they tried to poison Tyrion", no to "Littlefinger was behind everything and Bloodraven warged everyone", no to anything Preston Jacobs thought of, no to Dany being a secret bastard... Sheit, Mr. Martin, can you see what happens when people have too much time between the books?

Yeah, regarding fan theories, I'm definitely in the conservative camp, and I think we're the majority.

A lot of people practically assume Aegon is 100% fake. Not even the RLJ theories are 100% accurate: R and L might be Jon's parents but I doubt they have the rest right.

The theories I am sure they will have high chances to happen in the next book are:

Rhaegar and Lyanna are Jon's parents

Rhaegar went to Dorne to dethrone his father, not due to Lyanna.

Lem is in fact Richard Lonmouth.

I'm 50/50 about Aegon.

The rest of theories, I'm ok with them being fake or true, really.

Everyone thinks they're conservative apparently, hah.

I'd be very conservative. I think most theories are ERRONEOUS completely unsupported (by what's actually in the text), far too specific, or else some sort of masturbatory equivalent to the Dany+Robb=Success hopes/theories that people have when they first read the books.

Archived