Conservative or Conspiracy Theorist?

DaenerysWinsEverything

Conservative. A theory must both remain consistent with and serve theme and character arcs. For example, HR = HS serves no theme and is inconsistent with how the Reeds and Crannogmen are represented. These astrology theories serve noting, they're just superfluous. In comparison, Jojen paste is completely consistent with established theme and serves Bran's arc. The text will also almost always point you in a direction of a mystery that will require an explanation. Examples include who is Lemore? How much truth is in the Pink letter? Or where are the Reeds?

Nope. Some words do have multiple meanings, and "conservative" isn't only a synonym for "votes right-wing". There are such phrases as "a conservative estimate" (which does not, actually, mean "some phony numbers cooked for the Koch brothers"). Seriously, you can look it up.

In this context, I accept the label "conservative" as appropriate. Even though politically I'm anything but.

Yep, that's was the point. "Conservative" is appropriate, "Conspiracy Theorist" is derogatory.

We should use two derogatory terms or two appropriate terms for the dilemma, or it will be an easy choice.

I think mediterraneo is pointing out the way the wording of the title leads posters to identify as "conservative" because of the dichotomy set up.     The issue isn't with the word "conservative."   It's that there's an equivalency being suggested between "conservative" and "conspiracy theorist," where in reality it's kind of a false dichotomy.   One comes across as reasonable and sane, while the other sounds batshit and slightly deranged.  So of course more people will self-identify as "conservative" when then other choice makes you sound batshit and slightly deranged, lol.

sorry for intruding on this, I'm sure mediterraneo can speak for himself, but wanted to agree with the point he/ she was making about how the wording is probably skewing the way people are answering.

Thanks for answering, it was exactly what I meant, my own answer would have come too many hours later to be useful to the thread.

I am sometimes kind of surprised at people (usually just online) holding strong beliefs both for and against theories. (This thread has been admirable, by the way, I am just speaking generally.) Clearly Martin can easily and has already introduced new things, in his fictional work, that make anything make enough sense to serve the story. For instance, when I first heard of R + L = J, about four years ago, I thought to myself that's great and makes sense, and how about Aerys, alternatively? (It's not much of a feel-good story after all, and it could fit the plot and the characters smoothly, though less romantically and much more cynically.)

Actually, that is partly my (internal) response to a theory I admit I do despise: any POV Lannister being a secret Targ. Clearly Martin did write clues that Aerys could have taken Joanna to bed, and I couldn't deny that. So to console myself I considered that he was doing this only to portray Aerys' character a certain way, so that it would ultimately make sense for his reveal as Jon's father. Yes, that could be a bias, but I'm not too concerned about letting a cognitive bias take over for a fantasy. In the real world I'd give my cognitive distortions deeper thought.

I guess you'd call me a reactionary, because I'm not really deeply attached to any theory (R + L = J is more likely, yes), and a radical, because I love reading alternative theories. The same old Jaime as the valonqar, the Hound as the valonqar, those may or may not be more likely. But I love it when people suggest, for instance, that Edmure is the valonqar (and he is in Casterly Rock, after all). But Coldhands, for instance, I first considered to be Benjen and when that was obviously not true I now just consider to be "random ancient night's watchman, with maybe a future story but not necessarily".

However a few of them are clearly not true, and I would stake my livelihood on it. Mance is not Rhaegar (they are just better separately, and above all Rhaegar's body is burnt), Bolt-On (no, he's just a crazy human), and Howland Reed is not the High Septon (uhh - just obviously). If people can be entertaining while flirting with such theories though, that's not a loss for me, and above all it says nothing about a person's character.

Some other theories seem to be less offensive to people, I guess (but I'm not one to understand such controversy): various perfumed seneschal ideas (from Varys to Marwyn to Hizoo). Littlefinger speculations I have never seen backlash against. I like the various Taena theories. I'm cool with the horns waking ice dragons or sleeping children or giants, and the hive-minded children idea, though I'm not beholden to them. Also some of the duller or more obvious theories (no specifics).

I don't take a position one way or the other about Aegon/(F)aegon or the characters around him (anymore). Probably a little more likely that he's a Blackfyre or some such. I think above all I want a Varys POV, and that (which will not happen) would provide an incentive for me to come to a position.

Daario = Euron was interesting when I heard it and I've no position other than that. Daario = Benjen or anyone else is pure baloney and not even fun. Tyrion's wife could be Sailor's Wife (my first thought reading the books) or Penny's mother (to add another twist of the knife for Tyrion), either or neither is fine with me.

Edit: Ok, this post is way longer than I intended. lol

Definitely conservative in my outlook. I'm a skeptic with some of the more outlandish theories. If someone can back up what they're saying with thematic arguments and evidence, not just a book quote, then I start to get more convinced.

I generally look at theories the way they might fit in with other theories. For instance, I do NOT believe in A+J-T or that he fathered the twins, since we already have R+L=J. I think it's highly unlikely that Martin would use the secret Targaryen thing twice with two central characters. 

So it's not always that a theory has to be crackpot for me to dismiss it, but more that it has to fit in with the world Martin is building.

When it's obvious that GRRM is writing a massive conspiracy and we keep hounding him to write faster so we can see how we were hoodwinked... Tell me again why its sensible to be "conservative" and who is the "crackpot"?

Most theories are wrong by definition because there are hundreds of theories and only seven books. There's crackpot and crack calling the kettle, pot.

What I enjoy most are the theories regarding symbols, myths and Other metaphors.

He has created a masterful canvas, enjoy it. Play with it. That's the point of a work of art. The artist has monopoly on the creation, but it's the viewer that receives the message.

This is all a very long winded way of saying is that Daario is Benjen.

I'm conservative because I blame all of westeros problems on those bleeping wildlings coming here and takin our jobs! They oughta build a wall!

You are my favourite :D

I guess I'm pretty conservative, but I have a secret soft spot for some of the cracky stuff on this forum. I really hope there's just one twist in Winds thats so out of left field and crackpot, just to watch everyone loose their minds over it. Just one will do!

I really hope there's just one twist in Winds thats so out of left field and crackpot, just to watch everyone loose their minds over it. Just one will do!

If I remember right George Martin did say he was contemplating adding a Twist that will make a lot of people angry. I'd love to see that. (as long as it's not a lannister being a targ :(

You are my favourite :D

I guess I'm pretty conservative, but I have a secret soft spot for some of the cracky stuff on this forum. I really hope there's just one twist in Winds thats so out of left field and crackpot, just to watch everyone loose their minds over it. Just one will do!

Look at the other things he's thrown into his third acts. The boards seem more conservative than he is.

Well with what I actually believe it is pretty standard, but I love me some tinfoil and can be for good for a laugh and is just fun to consider. Other theories that really at this point can't be confirmed or denied by the narrative makes the world seem even larger and real that it already is. The only theories I heavily object to are the Jon, Dany, and tyrion riding around on their dragons happily ever after ones. The series does such a wonderful way of showing how the pursuit of prophesy or lofty dreams can cause so much death and pain, enough people have died that if or when AAR comes into the throne I don't even see how it will be worth it. I doubt there will be an eternal summer, but even if there was it was built on a foundation of bodies.

Archived