About Arya and Jon

TeamWhiteWalkerz

A copy of the letter was posted at towerofthehand.com, if I recall.  It was many months ago.  I think the copy on there was more readable.

This one? It's not stated anywhere about a pregnancy. It's the same letter as the one that was tweeted, and his feelings were unreciprocated.

Whenever I try to look up anything about Jon and Arya, the majority of threads are about romance. So, to the people shipping Jon and Arya... you make me sick. Why do people want to ruin the one normal brother-sister relationship? Is there some sort of joke that I'm missing?

I'm missing it as well. I know that GRRM originally intended for them to be lovers but to me they'll always be brother and sister, regardless of Jon's parentage, and at best, they are cousins. I happen to really like their brother-sister relationship in the books and really don't want to see that disappear for the sake of romance. 

I'm missing it as well. I know that GRRM originally intended for them to be lovers but to me they'll always be brother and sister, regardless of Jon's parentage, and at best, they are cousins. I happen to really like their brother-sister relationship in the books and really don't want to see that disappear for the sake of romance. 

Absolutely. They're also one of the only examples of a platonic connection between a male and a female that we have in the books. Not everything has to be romantic or sexual.

Absolutely. They're also one of the only examples of a platonic connection between a male and a female that we have in the books. Not everything has to be romantic or sexual.

I agree. Platonic relationships between a man and woman are just underrepresented, and I think more interesting sometimes than romantic ones. I think if romance did happen, it would just ruin their fascinating relationship and that would be a shame IMO. 

I agree. Platonic relationships between a man and woman are just underrepresented, and I think more interesting sometimes than romantic ones. I think if romance did happen, it would just ruin their fascinating relationship and that would be a shame IMO. 

Ruin their relationship? They would be just as close if they became romantic.

Ruin their relationship? They would be just as close if they became romantic.

True, but it just wouldn't be the same to me. It would ruin their platonic brother-sister relationship, which is something I really like from the books. Just my opinion  ^_^

Why Jon and Arya can't be incredibly close, be the person who means the most to the other, and then sleep with other people is something I just don't understand.

It's actually more brilliant to write it that way. In the Potter novels, Harry and his best friend Hermione shared a similar tight sibling-like bond, but fell in love with other people. 

Why Jon and Arya can't be incredibly close, be the person who means the most to the other, and then sleep with other people is something I just don't understand.

It's actually more brilliant to write it that way. In the Potter novels, Harry and his best friend Hermione shared a similar tight sibling-like bond, but fell in love with other people. 

:agree: this exactly 

I agree, a romance between Jon and Arya would not only be awkward but time consuming aswell. I think the betrayel for love for Dany will be Targaryen v Stark with a choice for an enlightened (R+L=J) Jon to choose who too help with Stark the favourite considering how close Jon and the Stark siblings are.

Its possible, it's just not very likely IMO. My theory is that Ghost and Nymeria will couple and become alpha male and alpha female of the super pack. Jon and Arya will parallel them and marry after Jon's parentage is revealed. I know it's a myth but I still like the idea that "wolves mate for life".

And didn't JK Rowling say last year that she should have wrote Harry and Hermione ending up together? Something like that.

I use to ship Hermione/Harry during the HP days. The author herself regretted pairing Ron/Hermione together. 

Its possible, it's just not very likely IMO. My theory is that Ghost and Nymeria will couple and become alpha male and alpha female of the super pack. Jon and Arya will parallel them and marry after Jon's parentage is revealed. I know it's a myth but I still like the idea that "wolves mate for life".

And didn't JK Rowling say last year that she should have wrote Harry and Hermione ending up together? Something like that.

It wasn't a joke. :P

I use to ship Hermione/Harry during the HP days. The author herself regretted pairing Ron/Hermione together. 

It wasn't a joke. :P

If she'd hooked Harry and Hermione up, leaving poor Ron and Ginny in the cold, the novels would have been FAR less popular.

Anyway, the best intentions aren't comparable to what an author actually does. She brilliantly made the "outsiders" of the wizarding world Harry and Hermione part of the Weasley family. 

And that's one of my many objections to Starkcest. Other than Sansa in the past (and I bet she feels differently now), the rest of the Stark kids always saw Jon as one of them. Their loyalty, their love, and everything else is theirs. He doesn't have to sleep with Arya or Sansa to get any of that. It's his because he was raised in House Stark.

If Jon were raised in House Dayne, however, things would be different. Even if he knew he had a bunch of half-siblings, he wouldn't have been raised from infancy in the same household. He wouldn't have memories of Sansa and Arya as babies, toddlers, and small girls... and an expectation of them marrying other people and leaving Winterfell forever that would be as strong as the Targ expectation to couple with kin. Westermarck effect wouldn't be an issue like it is now.

If Jon were raised in House Dayne, it'd be a different story. But this is ASOIAF. Starkcest = dislike.

Quick, raise your hands. How many of you want to imagine a pairing between 16-year old boy and a girl who is:

1) 11-years old

2) his sister (this is what both of them have believed for their whole lives)

So, (borderline) pedophilia and incest. Is it any wonder some find it so repulsive?

Quick, raise your hands. How many of you want to imagine a pairing between 16-year old boy and a girl who is:

1) 11-years old

2) his sister (this is what both of them have believed for their whole lives)

So, (borderline) pedophilia and incest. Is it any wonder some find it so repulsive?

Well, some of us found the Arya and Gendry interactions super cute, and he's Jon's age. I don't want to be a hypocrite here!

It's less the age difference between Jon and Arya that I object to... and more the incest. It isn't as if Jon, Gendry, or any of the other teenage guys in ASOIAF have shown evidence of wanting to sleep with underage girls. They respond to actual women. So even any romantic hints that would occur between a reunited Jon and Arya would have to be just that -- hints -- because he certainly wouldn't sleep with her.

The age difference will diminish with time, but Jon and Arya will likely think of themselves as siblings forever. That's the real challenge.

Archived