Hugo award participation

Ser Scot A Ellison

A silly question, do those of you who are interested in the Hugo's encourage scifi/fantasy fans who don't participate to participate? I had a lovely conversation with the brewmaster at my favorite local brewery about the SP/RP controversy. He is fancinated and wants to see if he can come up with a solition that reduces attempts to game the system.

My point is this, the ultimate fix is more participation. Can we encourage more participation by simply talking up the Hugo awards?

A silly question, do those of you who are interested in the Hugo's encourage scifi/fantasy fans who don't participate to participate? I had a lovely conversation with the brewmaster at my favorite local brewery about the SP/RP controversy. He is fancinated and wants to see if he can come up with a solition that reduces attempts to game the system.

My point is this, the ultimate fix is more participation. Can we encourage more participation by simply talking up the Hugo awards?

Ser Scot, I wish I could remember the article I read about 30+ years ago in Scientific American about improving electoral systems. The point of the article was that any attempt to change the system introduces factors that make other unwanted outcomes  inevitable. In the end it all comes down to mathematics and any electoral system will have problems. Here in Canada, the music industry used the system of total sales in any year to pick the top album, song, and so on. Needless to say, not everyone was impressed as bland mediocre stuff ended up winning. Be careful of what you wish for.

i did not participate in the most recent one as had not really read enough of the nominees or enough at all really to vote for anything.  If i had voted, it would've been political so i chose not to.  Given the result, i don't think I'll participate at all.  If you're happy with political voting then i think its important to talk up what happened with the SP/RP mess.

What i am trying to say is a good year of nominees and awards (that arent political) are probably something to talk about and something that would attract more support from a broader base.

In Australia we have preferential voting (like the hugos) and mandatory voting. I think this is great at guarding against extremism (keeps the weirdos on the fringes of politics) and yet represents the people.

Admittedly we are not so happy with the current prime minister (he is a weirdo, infiltrating what should be a centre right party).

However where you to apply such a system to literary awards you would end up with very bland books winning.

Archived