'Waking a dragon from stone' - Shireen's greyscale

forod

In ADWD Val is shocked by Shireen when she meets her, telling Jon that the "Grey Death" - as the Wildlings call it - on Shireen's face only "sleeps" and will once agian spread. Jon is not entirely convinced by this, but it would make sense is Shireen were to start becoming a Stone Man. 

Melisandre often talks of sacrificing 'kings blood' in order to "wake a dragon from stone", but her habit of misunderstanding prophecies leaves lots of room for the readers interpretation. 

The most popular fan theory in the entire ASOIAF universe is, of course, R+L=J. If this theory is true then Jon is obviously not only a Stark but a Targaryen; a dragon.

In the show Melisandre sacrifices Shireen as she has a kings blood, and in the books she is the only person left at the wall with a kings blood. Therefore, if Jon were to be resurrected by Melisandre after she experiences an expected epiphany about him being Azor Ahai, then it would be terribly neat for Shireen's Greyscale to quicken again, and begin turning her in to a stone man.

Therefore her sacrifice would not only be a quicker, kinder death than the one that awaits her, but could also be used to resurrect Jon. IE 'waking a dragon from stone'. 

Not only is this plausible but there is a lot of other evidence for this in the books. 

Throughout ADWD the Nights Watch is showed by GRRM to be resistant to change, stubborn and unable to put aside petty quarrels with the Wildlings, who are comparatively presented as able to begin anew and join forces with the Nights Watch; albeit their need is certainly greater being on the wrong side of the wall. 

Therefore it would also fit the story arc if Val, a character who is praised several times in the books, has her prediction come true, therefore further supporting the image that Wildlings are not idiots and savages. 

As well as this, Shireen is currently eleven, and she contracted Greyscale very early in her life, before she was two, meaning that she originally contracted it at the end of the last winter. Perhaps summer stayed the disease and now Winter has come her disease will again start to thrive. 

This is all just theorising, and many believe that the stone dragon means something else. Maybe a real dragon, or something to do with money. But overall there is certainly evidence to suggest that Melisandre will sacrifice Shireen, something which has coincidentally already happened in the show.

Either way Melisandre might sacrifice Shireen, and it could very well be in order to resurrect Jon, the man she might come to believe is Azor Ahai. 

(First time I posted this it got blocked so sorry for the repost)

first off good on u if u have figured this out without rummaging through this forum.

second it was spoiled a bit by the show creators that they had information from george that shireen would die. so we know thats going to happen

thirdly, i am a fan that shireen is the stone ingredient to awaken the dragon that is jon. it just fits

a lot of the ealier versions for the stone reference was directed at jon being still as stone, which was a quote that appeared in the books. but that was before we knew shrieen was going to get the boot.

so ya overall shireen being a component for jon being ressurected seems very plausible

As per my comment explaining why your earlier thread was locked, I locked that thread because it not only contained show spoilers, but was using the show as a discussion point.   Just like you're referencing the show again here.

If you want to discuss this topic in the book forum, then make no reference to the show in the OP (PM me and I'll reopen the thread with an edited OP).    Otherwise, please resubmit this topic over in the GoT forum, where you can discuss both book and show.

Archived