Your Random ASOIAF/TWOIAF/D&E Opinions, Confessions and Dirty Secrets, 666

JonCon's Red Beard

I just found it repetitive after a while, I started watching it at the urging of a friend (I don't like zombies) It was not as bad as I expected but I think except for a few details every season is more or less the same [spoiler] they find a place, gather some extras, they get overrun by zombies and the main characters narrowly escape [/spoiler]....lather, rinse repeat. There doesn't seem to be any progress or long term plan.

I probably would have stopped watching for those reasons eventually anyway.

The soundtrack of the board.

The name is

[spoiler]
My lemon, my lemon tree
[/spoiler]

It's Daenerys's song anyway... Meu limão, meu limoeiro.

We were at an afternoon get together today, and the hostess said she almost made lemonade. I am such an ASOIAF nerd I thought to myself, "Self, I'm glad she didn't, otherwise this day would end in disaster."

I just had the thought that Cersei and Qyburn might be pretty much the only southerners able to believe that the dead are coming back to "life" in the north. They've got UnGregor, they have definite proof that he died and came back. Anyone else who's seen UnGregor and can put two and two together might be able to figure it out as well.

Wow!  I LOVE this theory!  You get the theory of the year award!  Its just from me at the moment, but still.  You deserve it!

^^ Thank you!!!

I noticed it like 2 years ago, and have been certain of it ever since.  I think a lot of posters connect Sansa's snowcastle to LittleFinger somehow being the 'giant'.  BUt I dont agree with that.  

There has to be a literary purpose for WunWun.  He has caused problems for Jon and Jon basically died defending him.  So I think retaking WF is a good way to pay him back in WoW.

Who would win, JonWun or BranDor?

I think JonWun would be insanely strong, more than a warged bear or a direwolf really.

I'm on a phone atm, so it's hard to get the quotes, but if you look at the language in Wun Wun's attack and SR's "attack" on Snow-Winterfell, GRRM uses similar language. Jon's first description of the attack even reminds him of a child (Arya) swinging a doll.

Yes I agree

Found where I had posted this elsewhere.

In addition to Wun Wun being utilized as Sweetrobins own Hodor, there are similarities to Sweetrobin during Wun Wuns murder of the Ser Patrek of Kings Mountain, from the imagery of Ser Patrek being a doll to the parallel of Wun Wuns attack to Sweetrobins attack on Winterfell with his doll. 

Here is part of the scene of Wun Wuns attack on Ser Patrek: The screaming had stopped by the time they came to Hardins Tower, but Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun was still roaring. The giant was dangling a bloody corpse by one leg, the same way Arya used to dangle her doll when she was small, swinging it like a morningstar when menaced by vegetables. Arya never tore her dolls to pieces, though. The dead mans sword arm was yards away, the snow beneath it turning red.Let him go, Jon shouted. Wun Wun, let him go.Wun Wun did not hear or did not understand. The giant was bleeding himself, with sword cuts on his belly and his arm. He swung the dead knight against the grey stone of the tower, again and again and again, until the mans head was red and pulpy as a summer melon. The knights cloak flapped in the cold air. Of white wool it had been, bordered in cloth-of-silver and patterned with blue stars. Blood and bone were flying everywhere.  (ADwD, Jon VIII)

There are several connections to Sweetrobin and his doll throughout the series. 

Here are a couple: Her uncles voice was troubled. Lord Robert, he sighed. Six years old, sickly, and prone to weep if you take his dolls away.  (AGoT, Catelyn VI)

This is how Sweetrobin and his doll have parallels to Wun Wuns attack on Ser Patrek. Its not so great. The boy knelt before the gatehouse. Look, here comes a giant to knock it down. He stood his doll in the snow and moved it jerkily. Tromp tromp Im a giant, Im a giant, he chanted. Ho ho ho, open your gates or Ill mash them and smash them.Swinging the doll by the legs, (The giant was dangling a bloody corpse by one leg) he knocked the top off one gatehouse tower and then the other. (He swung the dead knight against the grey stone of the tower, again and again**)  (ASoS, Sansa VII) It was more than Sansa could stand. Robert, stop that. (Wun Wun, let him go.)  Instead he swung the doll again (**and again.) (Wun Wun did not hear or did not understand), and a foot of wall exploded. She grabbed for his hand but she caught the doll instead. There was a loud ripping sound as the thin cloth tore. Suddenly she had the dolls head, Robert had the legs and body, and the rag-and-sawdust stuffing was spilling in the snow.  (the snow beneath it turning red.  Blood and bone were flying everywhere.)  (ASoS, Sansa VII)

I dont want porridge. Robert flung his spoon across the hall. (Arya used to dangle her doll when she was small, swinging it like a morningstar when menaced by vegetables.) It bounced off a hanging tapestry, and left a smear of porridge upon a white silk moon. The lord wants eggs!  (AFFC, Alayne I) This is how Jon previously described Wun Wun, he reminded Jon of Hodor. Hodor twice as big, twice as strong, and half as clever.

(Quotes in parentheses are from the attack on Ser Patrek which I added for comparison purposes.)

Hey thanks for this :)  Glad to see others can see the very real connection in the writing as well.  Wun Wun and Hodor are both child like to begin with.  They are perfect humans to be warged.

It's Daenerys's song anyway... Meu limão, meu limoeiro.

We were at an afternoon get together today, and the hostess said she almost made lemonade. I am such an ASOIAF nerd I thought to myself, "Self, I'm glad she didn't, otherwise this day would end in disaster."

LOLLLLLL

this happens to me sometimes, a perfect soiaf moment will happen and ill look around, see that I am the lone fan (or at least the lone book reader) and just have to quietly chuckle to myself about it  :lol:

I find descriptions of Tyrion's and Sam's love of reading a bit forced (and I'm a huge bookworm myself). The way Sam was obsessively reading in the Castle Black library, especially. But on the other hand, I really appreciate that there are a lot of illiterate characters and characters who don't care about the books but they are shown as smart people and the author doesn't look down on them.

I find descriptions of Tyrion's and Sam's love of reading a bit forced (and I'm a huge bookworm myself). The way Sam was obsessively reading in the Castle Black library, especially.

I've met people irl who find refuge in reading when they freak out. And not just books either, this one girl I'm thinking of would literally shut herself from the outside world and read whatever she had at hand, the randomest shit sometimes, as a way to take her mind off things. She's smart as hell but she'd read the worst tabloid type of thing you can possibly imagine cover to cover if she ran out of books. No kidding.
So I find Sam's little time out in CB entirely believable. :) he's not just a huge bookworm, it's his way of coping imo.

(Myself, I'm more of a Bobby B kind of guy, drowning myself in beer when I don't wanna face the outside world and honestly, reading random junk would probably be a better way, but ah well. At least we're good party pals, the Good King and I...)

Cortnay Penrose is amazing. Spitting the truth about Stannis's "loyal" lords right to their faces, then proceeding to throw a glove at Stannis in challenge. He dropped the mic medieval fashion. Also,

"As the gods will it. Bring on your storm, my lord-and recall, if you do, the name of this castle."

Have some random thoughts coming into your mind while reading?

Thought of a crazy theory...

Yes.

Valyrians were also skinchangers of some kind, hence incest to keep the bloodlines pure, ie keep the recessive gene(s) that control this ability. GRRM hints at warging/skinchanging being a recessive trait by making BR, one of the most powerful skinchangers in the series, an albino. Per some theories, the original inhabitants of Westeros were a race of Proto-Valyrians; The Daynes still carry Valyrian-like coloring, as did the people who made the sacrifice in Bran's ADwD vision. Some First Men still have the ability to skinchange via these Proto-Valyrians.

This brings me to my second idea. Skinchanging is possible in the Starks and possibly Sweetrobin not only from some FM blood, but also due to the blood of House Qoherys, which spread to House Tully and House Blackwood, among possible others. House Qoherys was officially extinguished, but some families, especially House Tully, might be related via the female line.

It's not uncommon for a new house to inherit a castle by marrying a female of the former house that held that castle, especially when said former house is extinguished in the male line. House Lothston may have been granted Harrenhal due to, in part, relation to Qoherys via the female line. Danelle Lothston appears to have been a skinchanger as well. House Whent, which is likely related in some way to House Lothston (note each's arms), would have inherited Harrenhal in a similar fashion. And who is the Stark children's maternal grandmother but none other than Minisa Whent.

^^^I also believe that the curse of Harrenhal stems from Gargon the Guest's castration/execution in the godswood, NOT from Harren the Black.

Note that House Lothston and House Whent, who could be related to House Qoherys, were the only houses to lose Harrenhal without a tragedy (unless I'm mistaken). House Lothston simply had no male heirs. Old Lady Whent simply had it taken away from her.

Archived