NFL 2015 Week 1: Haters gonna Hate the GOAT

Trebla

Simms, if anything, has actually gotten *worse* at his job over time. He used to be standardly mediocre, but now... I don't know if it's the fact that he's suddenly an elder statesman in the color commentary game or what the fuck, but he's branched into the hot take industry and it's intolerable. Not to mention he now feels the need to talk so much he's virtually a lock to contradict himself at least once over the course of a game.

I remember Joe Theismann as a Sunday and Monday Night Football broadcaster. Those were dark days. Or nights, I guess.

Ugh, Theismann was terrible. And I should've probably stated that my Collinsworth hate goes stretching waaaaay back to the 90s. It's probably more of my being a Steelers fan too, but he has always seemed to have taken his little swipes at them whenever he could when he calls their games. He does give credit where credit is due, but the little needles are there, and they drive me crazy.

ETA: I'll go with Kornheiser as probably the worst to nationally call games since Theismann.

Thiesmann is a terrible commentator.  He still does some Redskins broadcasts, and it is painful. 

Yep, I'll also cop to liking Collinsworth.  Also, I haven't thought about it for a long time but this talk of Theismann (it really doesn't rhyme with Heisman ;) ) reminds me of how much I used to yell "Shut up, Theismann!!!" at my TV :P

I don't actually think Brown's stats were inflated by the Pats allowing space. Every catch he made looked like he beat Butler, not that Butler played 15 yards off him and allowed Brown to catch it for 5 yards and run an extra 10. Sometimes it wasn't specifically Butler's fault as Roethlisberger had an hour and half to survey the field but I rarely felt that the Pats actually allowed him to gain yards in return for time.

Brown caught 9/10 passes on Butler for 133 yards and 1 TD and Wheaton caught 1/1 pass for 18 yards. He might have been near the ball, but man he was ineffective.

That being said, Brown is almost impossible to cover, especially if you're unable to jam him on the line. I don't know how good Butler will be, but I don't hold it against him that he was unable to cover Brown.

I don't actually think Brown's stats were inflated by the Pats allowing space. Every catch he made looked like he beat Butler, not that Butler played 15 yards off him and allowed Brown to catch it for 5 yards and run an extra 10. Sometimes it wasn't specifically Butler's fault as Roethlisberger had an hour and half to survey the field but I rarely felt that the Pats actually allowed him to gain yards in return for time.

Brown caught 9/10 passes on Butler for 133 yards and 1 TD and Wheaton caught 1/1 pass for 18 yards. He might have been near the ball, but man he was ineffective.

That being said, Brown is almost impossible to cover, especially if you're unable to jam him on the line. I don't know how good Butler will be, but I don't hold it against him that he was unable to cover Brown.

Plus, all defense is pick your poison, and it looked like Butler wasn't getting much help on Brown except in the red zone.  Very few #1 corners can win consistently against the #1 WR without safety help.  Just because Butler couldn't do it against Brown doesn't mean much other than "he's no Revis", which we already knew. 

Yep, I'll also cop to liking Collinsworth.  Also, I haven't thought about it for a long time but this talk of Theismann (it really doesn't rhyme with Heisman ;) ) reminds me of how much I used to yell "Shut up, Theismann!!!" at my TV :P

That is funny because I taught my wife to scream 'shut up Collinsworth' early in our relationship.

Yet now I love him and often hate games by almost anyone else. I hate Simms especially, but Denver fans are oft biased against him so I thought it may just be me.

That is funny because I taught my wife to scream 'shut up Collinsworth' early in our relationship.

Yet now I love him and often hate games by almost anyone else. I hate Simms especially, but Denver fans are oft biased against him so I thought it may just be me.

Simms is the worst color guy ever. I am usually never tempted to watch games muted, but for Simms I make an exception. I don't know why CBS thinks he's worthy of their number one broadcasring team. Give me someone like Dan Fouts anyday, speaking only of CBS guys.

As others have said, Simms really is bad.  It's not just you ;)

Well, then lets review... 

Mike Tomplin- who absolutely and unambiguously ran onto the field during a Ravens game and intentionally impeded the progress of a player - cried Thursday evening.  He claimed that the Patriots intentionally manipulated the sound system to pump Patriots radio signals into the Steelers head-sets.  

So a former cheater has no right to complain when he/she believes that another team may be cheating? Be careful now.

Raiders sign Aldon Smith to a one-year deal.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/11/raiders-sign-aldon-smith/

I think this is a bad idea for the player and the team.

Why would they do that?  Isn't Smith probably going to be suspended for the entire season (and possibly go to jail)?  Is this just a favor for him/his agent so that the NFL discipline will start and he can actually sign with a team next year?

Why would they do that?  Isn't Smith probably going to be suspended for the entire season (and possibly go to jail)?  Is this just a favor for him/his agent so that the NFL discipline will start and he can actually sign with a team next year?

It says he's eligible to play Sunday. I have no idea if there is a pending suspension or disciplinary action on Smith. Seems like that'd be a thing a reporter should try to cover in a story.

ETA: Never mind, says right there -- "subject to eventual league discipline" and possible jail time for his August arrest. Guess they're just gambling he'll get to play some of the season? It is a weird move by Oakland.

Aldon Smith and Khalil Mack is a scary 1-2 combo. With that said, Smith should never play in the NFL again. He is a hot mess and has been given enough chances to redeem himself. Someone more deserving should be given the privilege of playing in the NFL.

You do have to wonder how in shape he is. I do think maybe that being around football may be good for him because focusing on that could fend off his inner demons, at least until he gets suspended and/or jailed.

As to others who wonder why Oakland might do this? Well, it could be about establishing a relationship with him before he's exiled again. IF he can clean himself up, he could be a huge asset to the Raiders who are finally establishing a core of good young players.

Aldon Smith and Khalil Mack is a scary 1-2 combo. 

Hue Jackson just described Khalil Mack as a "rolling ball of butcher knives".

I don't know about you all but that settles it for me. If RR passes away before finishing asoiaf, I want Hue Jackson to pick up where he left off.

Archived