is dany george's most unique/interesting creation ?

TheLightning Lord

It depends on what you find interesting.  And there is not one single characteristic that make a character interesting.  In my opinion, the characters of ASOIAF are not really unique.  Even Tyrion is a little like Quasimodo.  Azor Ahai, whoever that might be, is similar to King Arthur or Joan of Arc. 

Getting back to Dany.  There is no doubt that her chapters are very well crafted.  She became my favorite character after reading her second chapter in AGOT, her wedding chapter.   The pages when Drogo gave her the filly is just awesome character creation.  And her chapters in AGOT were good enough to win a Hugo Award for George Martin.  To answer your question, it depends on what you are looking for, but a very good case can be made to support that Daenerys could very well be GRRM's most interesting character.  She benefits from a very solid backstory.

It is probably not necessary to start a fight about that. I love the character of Dany, I think Tyrion is as least as interesting and far away from any cliché. But there are so many very special characters in the books, be it Theon, Varys, Olenna, Jaime, Arya.....

There's nothing unique about her. An orphan (almost everything, but mostly Disney), big brother bully (a commonly used trope, even a few instances in ASOIAF), dragons/magic (can't get more cliched than that), a horseback rider owning a cool horse with a name (every fantasy story), a spirited young lady fighting the societal conventions (most YA novels), a last known survivor of a great dynasty, a fair-haired royal (Disney, Galadriel), struggling through life (princess in rags) in search of home, determined to return to her origins and regain what her relative usurped from her family (Lion King much?), very timid and insecure at the beginning, steadily growing into confidence (a journey of self-discovery), now a representation of a 'power girl' (most heroines in comic books), surrounded by prophecies and sycophants declaring her special/claiming she's 'a saviour','chosen one' ( LOTR, Wheel of Time, Discworld,, Narnia series, Star Wars, you name it), a close friend and confidant hopelessly in love with her, hot guys flock to her, more beautiful than the Queen who would like to see her dead (Snow White). So really, just a generic fantasy heroine, she's like Xena without the skills(she even has her own Gabrielle in Missandei), She'd fit right in some anime.

She's so original that when I was reading the first book, I was thinking "She's hitting ALL the "Evil Queen Origin Story" tropes, she's going to be crucifying and torturing people before the series is over.

I think Haviland Tuf is a fairly unique character.  The characters in ASoIaF aren't particularly unique, the draw is the intricate plotting and world building.

You'd have to read all Martin's other works before even starting to call Dany the most interesting. Some of the ones in Armageddon Rag are pretty interesting (read "wack").

Actually, as a character Cersei beats Dany by quite a bit. Littlefinger is at least as interesting as Dany. Dragunz, silver hair, and violet eyes don't make you interesting. 

Archived