The Original Daenerys

Little Bird Sansa

Recently I found out that another actress, Tamzin Merchant, had originally been cast in the role of Daenerys Targaryen.  Most of the discussions about this seem to be pretty old, both on this forum and elsewhere on the internet, certainly well before the show officially aired.  Would love to hear some fresh thoughts on this now that the show is now six seasons in the works.  Personally I don't dislike Emilia Clarke's version of Daenerys, but Tamzin Merchant definitely resembles the Dany I pictured while reading the books as she seems very ethereal, even in her normal appearance. 

Interestingly enough, GRRM also thought that Tamzin would have been a great Dany too.  It's a bit of a mystery as to why she was recast though, such a shame! 

Hmm never heard that. I think Clarke has got better but she will never be a good actress. Her acting CV before Thrones was a role in the crap daytime British TV show 'doctors', and it shows.

However she does give the role a sort of other worldly mythical look, she looks like Gelfling! And she's never been out and out bad in any scene.

I feel like the show started off in season 1 as quite soapy and not that gritty, and so many of the casting choices were either established actors or young pretty people. Since then the show has got a lot more grimey.

I haven't seen Merchant in anything. However she does have a certain ethereal look to her which would have been quite a good representation of the Targaryen beauty as Martin describes it. And I'm not a huge fan of Emilia's acting so I quite like the idea of a different Dany. I think she was good in Season 1, but I think she struggles with Dany's more badass side. Which seems to be all we get to see these days. Then again, no idea if Merchant would or wouldn't fall into the same trap. Casting Dany was always going to be difficult, because her transformation from when we first see her to a few seasons in is staggering. 

Neither Tamzen nor Emilia are really 'beautiful' but she has always struck me as a bit too wispy for Dany.  I've only seen her in The Tudors, and thought she was fine, she may be a better actress than Emilia but still don't believe she was well suited for the role.

Much as I dislike saying this about actors, there's no way that I could buy that a Dany played by Tamzin Merchant is someone who's acquired the reputation of "the most beautiful woman in the world".

Even in story I think that Dany's reputation is more just an exaggeration of her "otherwordly" Targaryen features. Tamzin Merchant seems perfect for that. 

Clarke is better looking (though Merchant is beautiful too), but Merchant is the superior actress and has more experience too, and I think she would have given a more layered performance that Clarke has. I don't think Emilia has ever been good. She's applauded for her acting in season 1, but I think she was mediocre even then. Okay at showing Dany's vulnerable side, but cringe-worthy in her "tougher" scenes. 

Clarke is better looking (though Merchant is beautiful too), but Merchant is the superior actress and has more experience too, and I think she would have given a more layered performance that Clarke has. I don't think Emilia has ever been good. She's applauded for her acting in season 1, but I think she was mediocre even then. Okay at showing Dany's vulnerable side, but cringe-worthy in her "tougher" scenes. 

Merchant too small.

Hmm never heard that. I think Clarke has got better but she will never be a good actress. Her acting CV before Thrones was a role in the crap daytime British TV show 'doctors', and it shows.

However she does give the role a sort of other worldly mythical look, she looks like Gelfling! And she's never been out and out bad in any scene.

I feel like the show started off in season 1 as quite soapy and not that gritty, and so many of the casting choices were either established actors or young pretty people. Since then the show has got a lot more grimey.

What? You think her acting has gotten better? Her acting was best at season 1. She started to deteriorate as Daenerys became stronger and a more capable leader to the point that Clarke thinks that having a dull expressionless face means powerful. Same goes with Sophie Turner. Good the first season, shitty later on.

What? You think her acting has gotten better? Her acting was best at season 1. She started to deteriorate as Daenerys became stronger and a more capable leader to the point that Clarke thinks that having a dull expressionless face means powerful. Same goes with Sophie Turner. Good the first season, shitty later on.

Sophie's gotten better each season.

Archived