Worst parents of Westeros - Nominations

Felguy

Let's talk about the really shitty parents in the story.

You can nominate 1 bad parent for each gender per person.

I choose for mother: Sybell Spicer.

This evil witch betrayed her daughter, giving her Moon Tea (or at least potions which prevent her from getting pregnant) and betrays her son in law this way.

At least Jaime told her off. The witch. She isn't even nice in general.

For father I choose: Randyll Tarly

Threatening to kill your son and neglecting his real talents. Takes a special kind of asshole. Even Tywin didn't do this. (at least directly)

Worst father: Craster, Roose, Randyll, Tywin.

Worst mother: Cersei, Lysa.

How is Cersei a bad mother? I mean, terrible person? Yes. Terrible wife? Obviously. Terrible queen? Surely. Terrible sibling?Absolutely. Terrible...well, you get the idea. But two of her three children turned out pretty decent, and I don't think there's any indication that she did anything other than play in to Joffrey's natural predilection for being an awful person himself. At least she looks after her kids, which is more than I can say for Selyse. 

How is Cersei a bad mother? I mean, terrible person? Yes. Terrible wife? Obviously. Terrible queen? Surely. Terrible sibling?Absolutely. Terrible...well, you get the idea. But two of her three children turned out pretty decent, and I don't think there's any indication that she did anything other than play in to Joffrey's natural predilection for being an awful person himself. At least she looks after her kids, which is more than I can say for Selyse. 

That is her one redeeming quality yes.

Let's talk about the really shitty parents in the story.

You can nominate 1 bad parent for each gender per person.

I choose for mother: Sybell Spicer.

This evil witch betrayed her daughter, giving her Moon Tea (or at least potions which prevent her from getting pregnant) and betrays her son in law this way.

At least Jaime told her off. The witch. She isn't even nice in general.

For father I choose: Randyll Tarly

Threatening to kill your son and neglecting his real talents. Takes a special kind of asshole. Even Tywin didn't do this. (at least directly)

You're looking at this from a modern perspective. From a feudalistic perspective, Randyl did nothing wrong. The pact between the peasants and nobles, and the nobles and the monarchy, requires the nobles to be trained and skilled at arms. Randyl allowing a son who cannot and won't fight to inherit his lands and titles is him failing his own duties to his people and to his monarch. Sam inheriting Horn Hill would have been a disaster from a feudal perspective.

No, I stand with my answer. Cersei thinks she's a good mother, but her actions speak otherwise. Her focus on Joffrey was mostly related to power and she supported him despite his flaws, Tommen/Myrcella turned out decent because she left them alone. I do agree on Selyse.

You're looking at this from a modern perspective. From a feudalistic perspective, Randyl did nothing wrong. The pact between the peasants and nobles, and the nobles and the monarchy, requires the nobles to be trained and skilled at arms. Randyl allowing a son who cannot and won't fight to inherit his lands and titles is him failing his own duties to his people and to his monarch. Sam inheriting Horn Hill would have been a disaster from a feudal perspective.

I know, but not letting him become a Maester at least? And threatening to kill him? (and I am sure he would have done it)

Could have just told him to join the Wall because he doesn't want him to inherit. Doesn't have to be a sociopath about it. Sam would be able to understand it to a degree, and even if not, he was cowardly at that point still so he still would have done it.

Ol' Bobby B.

Robert tried to be involved with all of his kids but Cersei promised that she kill any bastard he brought to court, and promised that she'd kill Robert if he tried to ever discipline Joffrey, Tommen or Myrcella

"Why would he? Robert ignored him. He would have beat him if I'd allowed it. That brute you made me marry once hit the boy so hard he knocked out two of his baby teeth, over some mischief with a cat. I told him I'd kill him in his sleep if he ever did it again, and he never did, but sometimes he would say things . . ."
"It appears things needed to be said." Lord Tywin waved two fingers at her, a brusque dismissal. "Go."

When even Tywin has to step in and say that Cersei should have allowed Robert to raise his children, it's hard to ever blame Robert for being an absent father. The problem was Cersei refusing to allow Robert into any part of her life, not Robert being a bad parent.

Robert tried to be involved with all of his kids but Cersei promised that she kill any bastard he brought to court, and promised that she'd kill Robert if he tried to ever discipline Joffrey, Tommen or Myrcella

When even Tywin has to step in and say that Cersei should have allowed Robert to raise his children, it's hard to ever blame Robert for being an absent father. The problem was Cersei refusing to allow Robert into any part of her life, not Robert being a bad parent.

Hmm good point.

Forgot that Cersei just didn't allow it.

She does force Tommen to whip Pate until he's bleeding as punishment for standing up to her. Not to mention the constant bullying and belittling of him that Cersei does.

Archived