Quotes you don't quite have right (but might be improving)

mcbigski

I was about to tell someone 'Can or cannot, will or will not, there is not try' but google tells me I was misquoting Yoda.  What quotes do you habitually get wrong technically, but feel like 'reality' is just missing the boat on?

I also used to say wrt to 'Turning it up to eleven' that 'we're the only band in the world that can do that' but apparently Spinal Tap never actually said that...

I heard a couple of dudes in my local coffee shop use the term "dropped the gun". In context I believe they meant "dropped the ball", rather than "jumped the gun", but the hybrid was amusing to me. Dropping a gun could potentially have far worse consequences than dropping a ball. It would also be useful as an expression meaning that a person has given up, especially in the face of superior (hopefully metaphorical) firepower. Ie: "Dude was arguing with his lady friend, but when she gave him that look, he totally dropped the gun".

One of my friends once said "we'll play it by year", because he thought that was how it went (it makes more sense than a lot of expressions).  Ever since then we have made a point of continuing the misquote whenever possible.  It's all in good fun. 

Archived